Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just replaced my tyres again, and I've decided to go for a midrange street tyre. After looking at the Falken Azenis ST115, Yokohama AVS102, and other tyres in its range, I've opted for the successor to the Dunlop FM901.

What tipped the selection in the Dunlops' favour was the use of silica in construction. As far as I can tell, the Potenzas, Azenis and Yokos don't use it. Tyres with silica have more grip, especially in the wet, with less rolling resistance than their equivalent.

The official information on the DZ101s can be found here.

Testing Equipment:

Car: 2003 Nissan 350Z Touring
Suspension: Standard aside from Koni dampers on softest setting
Brakes: Standard aside from Ferodo DS2500 pads in the rear
Wheels: Standard
Tyres: 235/45 R17 all round

Caveat: I'd also sprayed the tread face with Meguiar's Hot Shine tyre spray for some photo shots a day or two prior, which means the tyres were probably a bit slippier than normal.

Initial Impressions:

The tyres felt good when I first got them. They were smooth, quiet and were behaving themselves. The directional tread looks good, and the car seems to sit subtly lower (which is strange since my previous tyres were the same size).

Dry Weather Grip:

I had opportunity to give them a bit of a run down the old Pacific Highway on a beautiful sunny day. There was a fair amount of grip in them. With nuff following me, who had never driven on the road before, I didn't drive as quickly as I could have but at our pace (which was still on the enjoyable side of the speed limit) the tyres felt like they were well within their limits.

I did notice that the car felt like it was floating though. I'm not sure if this was because of the dampers being set so low (normally I have them at 1-1.5 revolutions from soft) or because my previous tyres (Falken Azenis RS-V04) had sidewalls reinforced far more than any street tyre will) but there was a little hesitation and lean when I cornered. Nothing major, but still noticable compared to previously.

I will try dialing the dampers up and trying again soon.

Wet Weather Grip:

Since it rained the night after my Old Pac run, it was a good opportunity to test the tyre in the wet with similar levels of wear and setup.

The wet weather grip is great. The tyres provide good feel in the wet, and high limits. I gave them a bit of a run up Allambie Road and the tyres hung on well beyond how comfortable I felt pushing them in the rain.

The only moment they let go was when I went straight through an off-camber roundabout a bit quickly and lifted off the throttle half way through it. Even then it was just a little correction before I got back on the power.

I also gave it a bit of a bootful around a couple of 2nd gear turns. Unsurprisingly the rear broke away, but it was smooth. I popped off the throttle when the tail had gone out, and the rear just gripped and went as if I turned into the corner from the opposite direction. It didn't stay sideways, slowly come back on line, or start fishtailing. I tried it a couple of times and it did the same thing each time.

I found the RE040s would either slowly tuck back in to line in a languid drift (grin inducing) or just suddenly bite and start fishtailing (sphincter tightening) if I did the same thing.

The RS-V04s aren't even worth talking about in the wet.

Overall:

I'm quite happy with the tyres so far. In the wet they're the best tyres I've had on the car. In the dry they seem to work well enough (at least as well as the RE040s) and while I miss my semi slicks, I can rest assured that in 3 months time I won't have to be shopping for another set of tyres because these ones have worn out.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I thought I'd give them a bit more of a wet weather test than just powersliding here and there.

I just got back from a run up the Old Pacific Highway (just the hill climb out of Brooklyn) and they're not too bad.

While I wasn't about to try and floor it out of corners, feeding in the power progressively didn't cause any issues, and there was definitely more grip to be had.

The biggest limiting factor in the environment wasn't the water on the road, but the water on my windscreen which made it very difficult to see the road ahead. I was feeding power on about as hard as I felt safe doing considering I could barely make the road out.

I also thought I'd drop in to an industrial estate and go for some JDM-style dorifto. Once again, not much by way of sliding. I'm no Tsuchiya but even doing the newbie thing by going slow into a corner, tugging at the wheel and flooring it barely got it sideways. Pulling seconds while mid-corner got it sideways, but it didn't last long.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Thanks for the info! A few of us here have been asking around about these very tires and how they perform. Seems a few retailers are really pushing to sell them, and they're dirt cheap (at least here anyway).

Quote:

"The Direzza DZ101 (di-rez'-za) is Dunlop’s Ultra High Performance Summer tire for the drivers of sport compact cars. The Direzza shares its name with Dunlop’s Japan GT Championship (JGTC) racing tires, and was developed to provide crisp and responsive handling in both wet and dry conditions, however it is not intended to be driven in snow or on ice.

On the outside, the Direzza DZ101 features Dunlop’s specially formulated Silicarbon Matrix tread compound (combines silica and carbon black) to enhance grip in the wet without surrendering traction in the dry. The compound is molded into a directional tread design featuring rigid shoulder blocks and two wide, straight tread channels with long, oblique grooves to combine responsive handling, stable cornering and hydroplaning resistance.

Internally, the Direzza DZ101 features twin steel belts reinforced by Dunlop’s Jointless Band (JLB) spiral-wound cap ply to stabilize the tread area enhancing handling and high-speed capability. A polyester cord body enhances ride quality while Max Flange Shields help resist rim damage due to accidental curbing.

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 tires feature black sidewall styling with subtle black letters reversed out of a circumferential serrated band. They are V- or W-speed rated and available in 50-, 45-, 35- and 30-series sizes for 15" to 17" wheel diameters."

·
Registered
562 Posts
By the way, I had hard time keeping up with scathing in the corners, mostly in one, when we entered at the same speed, my front tires started to loose grip and the car started to understeer a bit, and I had to correct it. Scathing was able to negotiate that corner a lot faster then I was. By the way, my tires have 45k km on them and I'm getting them replaced.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention that too, about Nuff's tyres. My bad! The sidewalls looked shagged, and I'm amazed the tyres even lasted 45,000kms. I wasn't implying that nuff's limit is me at 50%, so I hope no-one thought that. :)

I'm sure we could have gone a lot faster had nuff's tyres not been on the way out (as evidenced by the pace we all carried on the Putty Rd run) but the Old Pac needs experience to go quickly since its a lot tighter with blind, decreasing radius corners. Whereas he's done it once, I've done it several hundred times (including a 6 month period when I was doing it practically every second day).

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SmoothZ - yeah, I'm pretty happy with these things as a street tyre. Wet weather is awesome, and dry weather feels good.

The tyre dealers near me were trying to flog a lower one (the 3000A), but as one of my friends in his S15 has them I declined for more grip.

The 3000A's went greasy on the track (not fair to compete to the semi-slicks I was running at the time I know, but you can't argue with being 10% faster in a car that's got more mass, equal to less power depending on how much boost he was running, and softer suspension to somewhat offset that) but they last like you wouldn't believe. After 3 heavy sessions on Oran Park, you couldn't even tell they'd just been hammered on a very tight race track (aside from rubber stuck to the face).

There was no wear, and no feathering.

So if you want a long-lasting tyre that has excellent water channeling and good grip for commuting and the occasional squirt, the 3000As are a good buy. I'll have to run my car simultaneously with my mate's S15 to give you an idea of relative grip, though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Whow.. 45K.. after all the tall about nisshit and tyres... anything i get over 20-25K without feathering effects showing up will be a happy bonus for me.

·
Registered
562 Posts
DJ, I got the feathering effects (the noise) on my car around 20-25k km. But ever since then, the noise just gets worse. I had the front tires rotated at around 30k km I think.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dude, I'm not the best person to model your tyre life on. As people have probably noticed, I'm not gentle with my car.

I wish I could squeeze 25,000kms out of a set of tyres, let alone 40-50K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts