Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so John and I got together tonight and made a sound clip of both of our exhausts....one after the other, just for comparisons sake.

The two exhausts are the GReddy EVO2 and the Injen. Both systems are true-dual systems. Johns' car has a Crawford plenum, mine is stock. My car has Random-tech Hi-flow cats. I'm not sure if John is running stock cats, hi-flow cats, or test pipes...I'll let him reply to this thread.....

Since you can't "see" what's going on, here's the narration of the clip:

We each did a series of REV's, one to around 3-4K, one to 5K and one to 6K rpm. I went first. Then, just for fun at the end, we both revved to around 5K at the same time.....LOUD!!!

Enjoy!!!

Right click...Save as...

http://cobean.homelinux.com:8080/images/video/ex-battle.wav

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
They both sound great guys. And yeah, I agree (even if you didn't say it here), John's is definitely louder.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm running test pipes, hence the reason the exhaust is amplified. I was quite suprised to hear how docile the RT cats w/ the Evo2 exhaust were. In retrospect, I suppose the obscene loudness of my exhaust should scare off any wildlife that would have otherwise jumped in my path (Mother Nature and I have been at war for a long time).

Anyways, it was nice meeting you Kelly... thanks for investing all that hard work into the audio clip.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by John@Jun 8 2004, 08:11 AM
I'm running test pipes, hence the reason the exhaust is amplified.  I was quite suprised to hear how docile the RT cats w/ the Evo2 exhaust were.  In retrospect, I suppose the obscene loudness of my exhaust should scare off any wildlife that would have otherwise jumped in my path (Mother Nature and I have been at war for a long time). 

Anyways, it was nice meeting you Kelly...  thanks for investing all that hard work into the audio clip. 

No problem at all!

It's funny...I thought my exhaust was loud, but yours is WAY louder, especially while driving. I'd imagine wildlife for miles around was ducking for cover as we blasted back up Rt.28 from the dealership!

Thanks for the ride, by the way. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I cant wait to get exhaust on mine. Im going to take off my RT's and put on resonated test pipes. Im probably going to go with the Injen straight tip. Anyone interested in a set of RT's?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Dave079@Jun 8 2004, 12:31 PM
I cant wait to get exhaust on mine. Im going to take off my RT's and put on resonated test pipes. Im probably going to go with the Injen straight tip. Anyone interested in a set of RT's?

I've always wondered about folks who run without Cats. I guess for John, here in VA, he justs puts his cats back on the car every two years to pass emissions then takes 'em back off? I personally don't have the equipment to do this, or I might consider it. The RT cats are really a compromise between performance and laziness...They give me a small performance increase, and I stay smog-legal.

How hard was is it to pull the cats off this car? I'd imagine it involves dropping the exhaust based on what I've seen of the underside of this car.

John?

·
Registered
168 Posts
The cat bolts are difficult to get to, but since I replaced the bolts with non-cast iron ones that don't rust, getting the bolts loose shouldn't be too difficult. All you really need is jackstands and a little patience... I will be putting my stock cats on in October for my emissions...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by lbsohk1@Jun 8 2004, 09:54 PM
whats the price difference between those two and weight ?

The Injen is about $100 - 200 less expensive than the Greddy, and I'm pretty sure they weigh about the same. IIRC, the Injen was about 20lbs. lighter than the stock exhaust...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The link in my OP works again. I had to rebuild my server, so all content was offline for a few days, but it's back. It's kinda slow on the download because it's coming across my broadband connection, so have a little patience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts