Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a pair of Simpson shoes, nothing special about the shoes vs other racing shoes - they where just on sale at saferacer.com.

The biggest reason to get racing shoes, is how much more feedback you get from the car, especially when braking.

Yet, racing shoes are not comfortable to walk around in and most of them don't breath since they are made to be fire resitant. So I alway bring a extra pair of shoes to change into when I am not on track.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the main reason i'm thinking about it is for the thinnest soled shoes i can find. the thing i've worn before that reminded me are rock climbing shoes.
Puma makes a few pairs of shoes that are "performance driving oriented"
i have 2 pairs:
Future cats

and

Kart cats

love em both to death, great for driving or just wearing out and about.

Click for more

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Puma makes a few pairs of shoes that are "performance driving oriented"
i have 2 pairs:
Future cats

and

Kart cats

love em both to death, great for driving or just wearing out and about.

Click for more
i almost bought a pair of future cats...but, i tried them on and they looked too much like ballet slippers. i couldn't bring myself to buy them. i just have the speedcats. i've gotta head over to the puma store by me...i need a few new pairs. they're super light and comfortable. i have to get some shox as well (since i'll be carrying around a newborn in a few weeks). :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
SPEEDCAT!!!!! MEOW
I have these driving shoes, except they're black. They make a huge difference especially if you're the heel-toe downshifting type. (I'll admit, I mostly bought this particular kind, because of the Ferrari prancing horse) :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Converse all-stars. Thin soles, cheap, and classic (and they don't look ghey). I drive in the leather ones, but my feet get kinda hot when it's 100 degrees outside...

[attachmentid=16416]
+1

If they're worn for awhile, the sole flattens and you can feel everything.......works great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Puma Future Cats for me. They also have the Tour Cats that haven't been mentioned yet. The Future Cats feel a little smaller than marked but break in very well. Lots of pedal feel.

My Future Cats

Tour Cats

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Another data point...

I now have a pair of Puma Speedcats and a pair of Piloti Monacos. Both are terrific, but the Pilotis seem to work better in the 350Z while I like the Pumas better in the the Skip Barber cars.

The pedal spacing in the Z is just a bit too wide to feel comfortable using the Pumas. My foot seems to want to slip between the pedals at the least opportune times, but being more narrow is helpful in the tiny footwell on the Skip Barber cars.

The Pilotis are better for the Z and are more comfortable for me to wear as casual shoes.

Ah, my favorate answer -- buy both! :biggrin:

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have a few pairs, Adidas GP Monacos and Tuscany, but my favourite are the old Sparco edition Puma Speedcats, they're pretty old but I like them cause of the feel where as my adidas just don't cut it. For daily driving though I just use my Asics Tigers. I hate driving in my work shoes and I won't if I can help it. Sometimes if and when I'm chasing a story at a formal function or event, I'll tag along in the photographer's car rather than drive the Z.

:shiftdrive:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Being new to the forums, im kinda surprised this topic isn't larger than what it is, but what do I know. I like the piloti prototipo's but have never tried them. I was regular using some converse chuck taylor's, which are awesome for driving but suck for everything else. Puma's are good but just a little narrow for the pedals on my Z so I started using some old school airmax's that I got for cheap. But I will be buying some of those piloti's soon. My 2 cents. I wear 9 - 10 for reference btw.

·
5,437 Posts
QUOTE (LogicZ @ Nov 30 2008, 12:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=561394
I like the piloti prototipo's but have never tried them.

Don't try them, BUY them. These shoes are by far the best daily-driver shoes I've had. I have narrower ones, but for street cars you'll find your foot slipping between the pedals. So save the narrow ones for Skip Barber cars, and use the Piloti's for everyday use. Plus, they have enough cushion that you can't detect exactly what type of spider you've just stepped on like the Adidas narrow ones I've got.

Pilotis FTW! Mine:

·
Registered
620 Posts
I had three pairs of Piloti shoes and after about 8 mo. the rubber broke down and became hard. Once this happen, they were slippery on the peddles and on wet surfaces. On one pair I also had a separation of the sole and upper.

I am now wearing Ahnu Questa (first found them at REI) http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/34838189/c/93554.html
They are not specifically driving shoes but they are thin enough without being too thin and the rubber has stayed soft and supple so I can feel what is going on down there.

Chris

21 - 40 of 45 Posts