Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im from Ohio and wanted to get a Z. I would be fine without leather and stuff but i was just was wondering if a model w/vdc was a must have in the snow? Do any of you guys have troubles driving your Z in the snow without vdc?...that is for those of you who let it see snow, lol. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
It's better to drive w/o the VDC in snow. People get nervous when the car does things they aren't expecting.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I turn mine off... left it on by mistake once and when I had to brake fast it wasn't pretty.

I don't see much snow here, but we get icey roads every now and again... but I haven't had problems with it off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (kdm @ Apr 24 2008, 09:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=521539
I turn mine off... left it on by mistake once and when I had to brake fast it wasn't pretty.

I don't see much snow here, but we get icey roads every now and again... but I haven't had problems with it off.
I drove my Enthusiast w/o VDC all through winter in Boston with no troubles. Good tires are a must, though - either swap for winter tires or just drive a good set of all-seasons.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
QUOTE (Hue @ Apr 24 2008, 06:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=521534
I agree. I never use my VDC.

Hue -- how the heck are ya?!
Haven't seen you around much. Z treating you alright?
Sunny San Diego is the place to be!!!! *rubbing it in a little bit*

Been to GRD lately for any more work?

:)
M

·
Registered
722 Posts
QUOTE (bjjbadboy @ Jan 20 2010, 08:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=590411
i thought the vdc was to help in the snow bad weather doesnt it cut the power if your going to skid or something?
It does a lot more than cut power and I'm shocked people are recommending to drive in the snow with it off. But I live in florida and my base doesn't have VDC.

I have driven a lot of Z's with VDC on our track and the few times I forgot to switch it off before a run, the cars were dog slow.

However, it was also difficult to get any slip angle, something I think would be good in low traction situations.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
I definitely leave my VDC on in the snow - only exception is getting up my inclined driveway into the garage which can be impossible unless you let the tires spin a bit without that power cut-off. Of course I only drive in snow on very rare occasions - less than an inch. No snow tires mean DANGER :helpsmilie:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I drive with the VDC off, but I only have it on when I am going straight for a long time because the VDC will correct you if you fishtail. When turning, VDC is best left off because it will hinder your driving techniques. I live in Indiana, so we do get allot of snow here once in a while. I'm going to sound stupid when I say this, but when I snows hard, I actually purposely drive in the snow because the back of my neighborhood is fun to drift in and also I want to drive for fun (there are no houses or cars back there in my neighborhood).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I drive with the VDC off, but I only have it on when I am going straight for a long time because the VDC will correct you if you fishtail. When turning, VDC is best left off because it will hinder your driving techniques. I live in Indiana, so we do get allot of snow here once in a while. I'm going to sound stupid when I say this, but when I snows hard, I actually purposely drive in the snow because the back of my neighborhood is fun to drift in and also I want to drive for fun (there are no houses or cars back there in my neighborhood).
i live in indiana as well. northern indiana. not looking forward to winter hah. def. investing in some blizzaks!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I left mine on when I had the 2003 - visit my wiki and scroll to the bottom to find my winter driving solution! it worked great in NJ for me from 03-07.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's strange that a lot of people are saying that they drive it in snow with VDC off?

It snows a lot in here in Calgary and I have Blizzaks for winter tires. But my VDC is ALWAYS on, winter or summer. I thought it helps especially in snow when the car is skidding/slipping?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
QUOTE (bjjbadboy @ Jan 20 2010, 08:24 PM)

It does a lot more than cut power and I'm shocked people are recommending to drive in the snow with it off. But I live in florida and my base doesn't have VDC.

I have driven a lot of Z's with VDC on our track and the few times I forgot to switch it off before a run, the cars were dog slow.

However, it was also difficult to get any slip angle, something I think would be good in low traction situations.
VDC optimizes traction...I leave my VDC on 99% of the time...it's a great fail safe. My exception is when I am driving under 20mph in slick conditions. I will take it off and get in the tallest gear I can to prevent wheel spin...but I try not to drive in snow/rain if I can help it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts