Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How strong are both of these items, and what kinds of power levels can they take before letting go. I'm in the market for another car and currently have an 05 G35 sedan 6mt. I love the car to death but its definately something too nice for me to mod and take out to different events... autoX, 1/4 mile, and road racing. The other car I had on my mind was an STi which is a fairly balanced car in all those aspects and the drivetrain is definately up to the task of some big power levels with exception to the axles, which are still fairly stout. Oh and my previous car was WRX which did suffer a 3rd gear failure. So I'm very weary on transmission strength. Basically I just want a daily driver which I can drive to the strip run some mid-low 12sec times once a month and hit all the back roads of Malibu every other weekend. All while not having to worry about breaking any of my drivetrain. Oh and I do prefer the 350z in the looks department by a fairly healthy margin.

Thanks for any input.
"Rex"

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Im sure some people will chime in. The only drivetrain failure I have seen is Daking's axles. Think he was in the mid 550+whp with drag slicks. People have been tracking and dragging the Z and G for years without problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually now that I think about it, how is the transmission strength at the drag strip on slicks or drag radials.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
What is your goal? His failure was on a built engine and twin turbos. You are looking at 15k for that kind of setup at minimum. At which point custom axles are not much more to have manufactured. The engine needs beefed up before the driveline.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Here is my take on this.

From what I have seen, the transmission is pretty solid, so far I have yet to hear of one blowing up because of too much power. As for the rear half axles, the stock ones are prone to shearing in half when launching hard, typically 400rwhp and higher will do this when you drop the clutch at high rpms.

I have been getting ready to run high hp through my drivetrain and so far I am only replacing the rear half axles with ones from driveshaftshop, I got the level fives good for 800hp.

I don't know what the limit of the transmission, driveshaft or rear diff. are but I am sure that they are good for up to 700rwhp. We will eventually find out their maximum potential once that power is put to the ground with some drag radials. But for now, I would say that this is not a problem to worry about, especially if you are keeping your G stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts