Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello...
im new here, im planning on buying a 350z for track use, but i "heard" some stuff about the 350 that made me have doubts on purchasing it. the 350z is an absolutly beautiful car and well engineered, but i hear that the drive-by-wire makes it almost impossible to mod the engine? i am planning on twin turboing, but i heard i won't be able to because of the drive-by-wire? is there a way to eliminate it? what makes the drive by wire a problem to modifying the engine and tuning it? some helpful info please! thanks.

tammy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
the person that told you that is dead to me...

there are numerous 500 whp+ Z's out there!
browse the FI forum!

:shiftdrive:

·
Registered
755 Posts
:thatsfunny:

hello...
im new here, im planning on buying a 350z for track use, but i "heard" some stuff about the 350 that made me have doubts on purchasing it. the 350z is an absolutly beautiful car and well engineered, but i hear that the drive-by-wire makes it almost impossible to mod the engine? i am planning on twin turboing, but i heard i won't be able to because of the drive-by-wire? is there a way to eliminate it? what makes the drive by wire a problem to modifying the engine and tuning it? some helpful info please! thanks.

tammy.
Drive by wire is an option for Gagnstaz in a drive by :shoot2:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Drive by wire has nothing to do with modding. It merely represents the means by which throttle inputs are conveyed to the throttle body. conventional is direct manual linkage (ie, cable). Drive by wire is electronically linked. Hope this helped!

And Welcome to the Tech!

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
If that person that told you that is a "tuner"...avoid them like plague :doh:

If that person who told you that passes themselves off as someone knowledgable in automotive performance, i'd laugh! :lmfao:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Drive by wire has nothing to do with modding. It merely represents the means by which throttle inputs are conveyed to the throttle body. conventional is direct manual linkage (ie, cable). Drive by wire is electronically linked. Hope this helped!

And Welcome to the Tech!
Exactely, and that makes for a faster throttle response.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Exactely, and that makes for a faster throttle response.
Actually, the software for the drive-by-wire limits the throttle opening speed, making it slower to reach WOT than with a direct connection. Not a bad thing - those with a lot of varied high-performance driving experience know that simply flooring the throttle is not always the way to go the fastest..... :burnout:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Not a bad thing - those with a lot of varied high-performance driving experience know that simply flooring the throttle is not always the way to go the fastest..... :burnout:
I like this quote too! :cheers:

·
Registered
66 Posts
hello...

tammy.

this person is a moron :doh:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Now, now, all questions should be taken objectively before passing criticism.

I would be interested in an alternate method to eliminate drive by wire. I am having throttle control issues with my throttle position sensor, I am probably going to replace it because the car does not drive smooth.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Drive-by-wire can be a very good thing. But like other relatively new bits of technology, it can be misunderstood. In the case of the VQ35DE as fitted in our beloved 350Z, the DBW is used to provide a very linear throttle response. Far more linear than the engine would be with a standard mechanical linkage.

-RZ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts