Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the G35 uses the same manual tranny as the 6 speed in the 350z? There are a lot of people having problems with the 6 speed in the 350z and was thinking about going the G35 route if it is a different one. Are there any problems out of the transmissions in the G35?

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Same tranny. And really, don't be spooked about the transmission. Not many people have had these kind of problems, more like a handful of 03 owners. By mid 04, the trannys are all pretty solid, and even more so in the 05's. I wouldn't worry about it. Even if by some chance you have a problem, warantee will cover it.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I have an 03 with a 6MT - no problems. The car runs strong.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Sep 27 2005, 09:26 AM
I have an 03 with a 6MT - no problems.  The car runs strong.
[snapback]158439[/snapback]​

Same here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same tranny. And really, don't be spooked about the transmission. Not many people have had these kind of problems, more like a handful of 03 owners. By mid 04, the trannys are all pretty solid, and even more so in the 05's. I wouldn't worry about it. Even if by some chance you have a problem, warantee will cover it.

are you sure the trannies are the same? because a few people told me they arent because the G35 is 6 inches longer then the 350z. is the driveshaft longer?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
are you sure the trannies are the same? because a few people told me they arent because the G35 is 6 inches longer then the 350z. is the driveshaft longer?
the wouldnt design a transmission based on the wheelbase. The drive shaft can easily be lengthened or shortened to fit the design.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
the wouldnt design a transmission based on the wheelbase. The drive shaft can easily be lengthened or shortened to fit the design.
No, actually a longer drive shaft changes the gear ratio between the transmission and rear differential!

:Bolt: :hide2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
No, actually a longer drive shaft changes the gear ratio between the transmission and rear differential!

The Transmissions are exactly the same. A longer drive shaft, has no bearing on the overall gearing. Remember also, the "Z" has a Carbon Fiber Shaft, and the "G" doesn't. Carbon Fiber is lighter, but again, no affect on overall gearing. BTW, my '03 6MT has been trouble free :shiftdrive: Let's hope it stays that way.

Lou

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
i agree. transmission is the same, just driveshaft is a bit longer. honestly never thought about that difference, just knew that for exausts you needed an additional section to make them fit.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

This is a joke, right?

-RZ

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
This is a joke, right?

-RZ
No, actually the gear ratio of a drive shaft is directly linked to its length and diameter through this equation:

w(in)*L^2+[(4/3)*w(out)]^(1/2)=B.S.

ya'll know nothing about mechanics do you :headshake:

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
I was wondering if the G35 uses the same manual tranny as the 6 speed in the 350z? There are a lot of people having problems with the 6 speed in the 350z and was thinking about going the G35 route if it is a different one. Are there any problems out of the transmissions in the G35?
I say get which ever car you like the most between the Z and the G.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts