Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Does anybody else's rearview mirror make noise?!

3K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  buzam 
#1 ·
:banghead: :burnout:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I used to have issues with it, but it's stopped. There is a TSB for it, but good luck with it. I got the same old "cannot replicate problem" when I tried.

#6 ·
[/quote]

I believe there is a TSB out on this...check out the TSB section, and get the dealer to fix it! :D
<div align="right">[snapback]88308[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, there is a TSB published for this. However, the fix is not worth bringing your car in. It recommends the use of sticky felt to line the inside of the plastic wire guard. Or, you could just remove the wire guard all together.

My nissan place wouldnt even give me the felt tape to fix it myself. They dont carry stuff like that. So you're better off goin to a craft store and pickin some up.

G'luck.

#9 ·
i always have to make minor adjustments on mine but that is because i am using one of those custom radar detector mounts. every now and then it does make some noises. wonder if i can get one of those with the built in compass

#10 ·
[/quote]

Mine buzzes every cold morning (which is most of the time here) I reach up and squeese it to make it stop. After the car heats up it goes away...make it stop.

#12 ·
Originally posted by tchan2700@Apr 6 2005, 09:14 PM
I took mine in for the TSB, did nothing. Same for the dash rattle.  Nissan gave us a car that was one of the best for the money but now I realize that they gave up some build quality for it.  I guess 100% japanese doesn't mean much anymore.
[snapback]89794[/snapback]​

I noticed mine started buzzing about 1 week ago. It is really annoying. I am taking it into the dealer next week along with another list to have fixed. :doh:

#15 ·
I have had this problem on another vehicle. I'm not sure your problem is the same....but try this:

There is a metal piece that is glued to the window. It is a wedge that your mirror slips over and attaches to.

Sometimes the mirror will inch its way up on that wedge, and become loose.

Verify that your mirror is slid down and tight on that wedge.

#16 ·
Objects in MY mirror are losing. :lmfao:

#18 ·
my suggestion would be to 1) remove that piece of plastic that just covers the homelink wire, and 2) put a bead of silicone on the seam of the two main pieces of plastic.

When mine was rattling it was always that piece of plastic from step 1, or the two plastic pieces rubbing.

#19 ·
my suggestion would be to 1) remove that piece of plastic that just covers the homelink wire, and 2) put a bead of silicone on the seam of the two main pieces of plastic.

When mine was rattling it was always that piece of plastic from step 1, or the two plastic pieces rubbing.
Mine also made a noise at certain speeds. I squeeZed it and it stopped, so I took it off of the wind shield and wedged a toothpick between the front and back plastic pieces. It worked fine ,but now I have celery stuck between my teeth and can't get it out!

#20 ·
For all those concerned (annoyed) :xZ!o: by the rattle coming from the rear view mirror. 1st verify it is in the rear view. I think I've only seen it in rear views with the anti-dazzle(I work on Infiniti's and almost never see standard rear views) feature. While driving and the noise is occurring, squeeze the rear view (Front to back. Not top to bottom.) If it stops rattling then it's safe to say it's the rear view. 2nd procure some plastic trim removal tools.(Possibly can get some from an major auto parts store. Also the plastic is less likely to mar the mirror housing.) You will also need a torx bit (I think a T25 but don't hold me to it.) and some felt tape or light duty foam tape. Use torx bit to remove mirror from windshield. Unplug the wire if you have the Homelink/Anti-dazzle feature. Very carefully(If you break this it will cost you north of $300) use a flat and preferably wide trim removal tool to pry mirror apart. Once apart you will see the circuit board. Remove and note the small legs inside mirror house that contact or pertrude through the circuit board. Place small pieces of felt tape on these points. Ensure circuit board fits back in correctly and press both mirror halves back together and snap securely. Reinstall. Test drive. :shiftdrive: Verify. And finally enjoy. :irock:

#21 ·
there are generally 2 issues with the review mirror noise

1. The TSB does fix it with the felt. the sleeve is a 2 piece component that is adjustable and used in many Nissan products. I have the same issue on my M35 and put a piece of craft felt as well as a little rubber cement to hold the on piece from sliding down over the other.

2. the mirror itself has a tendancy to have a vibration noice - the mirror is a 2 part snap together unit - again open the unit up if you have the noise - becareful no to break any of the areas that snap together - put some cement around the seam, snap it back together and you will loose the vibration sound.

this is what worked for me on my 03 and my M!

edit - looks like I was typing at the same time as G Coast - he is right on the money and has a much better process for the ID of the noise!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.