Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure everyone is aware of the tire feathering problems. Mine came about at 7k miles. I had new front tires put on at 10k miles. By 13k miles, the early signs of feathering began to appear.

I became impatient with Nissan, and decided to try things on my own.

I replaced the stock springs with the Eibach Pro Kit. This lowers the car, but at the same time eliminates the porpoising effect (may be on of the causes).

I also went with a different brand / tread pattern tire. I chose Goodyear Eagle F1 gsd3's.

Alignment was done also. (Not by Nissan)

I am going to pay close attention over the next few months to the front tires and keep everyone posted on my findings.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Mine was bad as well, started to show up around 4k Nissan did an Alignment arond 7k. 8k a tire swap was done. At 11k I also put on the Eibach Spring and Toyo Proxy's T-1s. I now have about 20k on the Z and no Feathering yet

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i bought mine used for 125 and i installed them myself.. ive hear shops charging anywhere from 100-250 for installation.. whatever they feel like charging that day i guess

·
Registered
538 Posts
Obviously, the Protenza's have a problem. What brands handle the camber of the front end better? Do you give up any performance by going to these brands? I assume the material is harder and less susceptible to wear, which would normally result in less grip. Correct?

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK...

Im seriously out of the loop when it comes to cars so I feel a bit strange asking this but, Whats feathering, what problems does it cause and what are the signs?

Be gentle.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Originally posted by SlowMo@Feb 15 2004, 07:16 AM
OK...

Im seriously out of the loop when it comes to cars so I feel a bit strange asking this but, Whats feathering, what problems does it cause and what are the signs?

Be gentle.

Feathering is uneven wear on the inside of the front tires. most common on the 03 350Z. It results in Excessive road noise at under 40MPH. Nissan has a Temporary "Fix" for it, but it still comes back. All the Info you could ever want on Feathering is Here

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for posting my pics Chazzg! I had the feathering start at 6K miles. I put up with it until 11K when I had the alignment and tire swap. New tires were then put on at 13K when the TSB tire swap did not reduce the noise. Since putting on the new fronts, I ran another 6K plus to assure the problem was cured - it was, with no return of the feathering. Then I switched tires/wheels, which I have now almost another 10K miles on with no problems whatsoever.
FWIW,
ChinaClipper

·
Registered
17 Posts
Strange. I havent gone out to look yet, but notice a lot of excessive noice while running around 3500 RPMs (some while crusing over 60mph). I thought it was just typical road noise cause of the 18inch tires and all of the posts/reviews about the 350z's "excessive noise on the road". Is this covered under the warranty? And, is it a big safety problem?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok here is the findings so far.

I put on eibachs and goodyear eagle f1 tires at ~14500miles. I now have 19k miles and no signs of feathering.

If you are sick of dealing with this issue, this may be the best solution.

So overall you get:

better handling, better looks, better grip, no feathering..

It is a win/win situation, other than nissan will not do this for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, my first post in this forum. Excellet DIY section!

Does anyone with lowered spring(Eibach or others) seen issue with rear wheel having too much negative camber? When I view the back of my Z, the wheels appear like: // \\

I have Eibach Pro Kit with 19" iForged(10" in the rear). I will be bringing the Z in for alignment. But I don't think it will help due to no camber adjustment for rear. Do you think alignment will help?

Sorry I am bring this old post back up, but seems like others in this post has similar setup as mine.

Thanks in advance,
Mickey

1 - 20 of 22 Posts