Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd say its a waste of time, by the time you hit like 2 or 3 stop signs or lights your car is already warmed up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well I know this was discussed on another site, which turned out to be a huge heated arguement when it was all said and done, but basically came down to this:
Approx. 1 minute is said to be enough time for the oil to make it's way to all the necessary parts. So I guess a minute is enough! I usually go by that rule and don't really get on it until therm gauge has moved. I guess that would be up to you when to get on it. Don't quote me on this but I do recall reading a very long forum that had several well educated people hashing it out.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
At least 20-30 seconds for me, then I drive conservatively until I see the needle for the engine temp move off the bottom.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I usually give it about 30 seconds, and wont rev it above 3500 until its warmed up the rest of the way.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
By force of habit not b/c I think it is necessary or not necessary...turn the Z on in the morning while putting my briefcase etc in the car...go back inside to make sure everything is shut off and the dogs have water etc...all in all maybe let her run for 4-5 mins just because...:dunno: I like to hear her growl in the morning :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I crank mine up and back out of the driveway :dunno:

If it really hurt or affected the car, they would have told us. I keep it under 2500-3000rpms until the needle is in the middle, where it stays after it's warm.

I don't think it's going to make a difference as long as you don't romp on it when it's just cranked...

·
Registered
310 Posts
It all depends on what you mean by warm up. Do you mean getting the oil moving, getting water temp up, or getting oil and tranny fluid up to temp? Getting oil into all the galleries is pretty quick and really important. Just give it 30 seconds and you are ready to go. Coolant temp is less important, but it takes longer. Oil and tranny temp are very important for high revving and take the longest.

Here is my procedure:
1. Start car and don't move for 1 minute. Oil is now all over the engine.
2. Start moving but keep it below 2500RPM unitl the oil guage reads less than 60PSI at 2000RPM or 30PSI at idle.
3. Once the oil pressure reads like the above, it is safe to assume that the oil and tranny fluids are fully to temp and you can start high rev driving.

If you have an oil temp gauge, you would not need to rely on the oil pressure gauge to judge oil temp.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Water temp is of no concern and is not a good gauge of the oil temp, best using the oil pressure gauge to asses when the oil has heated and thinned to a good level.

60 seconds at least to get the engine components coated with some oil and then not over 3000 rpm until the oil pressure drops to a more conservative level, usually with 10-15 minutes driving.

Too long of an idle actually can damage the engine and shouldn't be practised too regularly.

Sometimes I cannot follow the above procedure, but I try not to over rev until the oil pressure gauge indicates that the oil has thinned out and thus warmed!

This all goes to engine longevity and also fuel consumption (not of great concern really). The cpu makes the car run very rich until most sensors indicate a close to ideal temp and you can actually feel the difference in performance as that 'rich' A/F ratio changes to a leaner cruise situation.

cheers

·
Registered
182 Posts
5 min warmup(just a few minute if its not too cold out) and no boosting the first 15 mins of my drive.

You have to let the oil warm AND the engine warm up before putting a heavy load on it.
That way, all the different components throughout the engine have reached their normal operating temperatures
just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I usually warm up for 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
My "starting procedure":

1 - Key to accessory, listen for fuel pump.
2 - When fuel pump stops, clutch in - key to ignition.
3 - Check neutral, remove foot from clutch.
4 - Idle for approx 30-60 seconds, if first drive of the day. (If car shows temp already, as in driven previously, follow steps 1-3, then drive normally.)

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Start up, put seatbelt on, open garage door, back out, close garage door, drive 1 mile less than 35mph, turn left and 5 miles of 45mph, then it is on to the I-10 for 3 miles and it is on. 110mph with white mustang on ass.

:shiftdrive: :shiftdrive: :shiftdrive: :shiftdrive: :shiftdrive: :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]
:yourock: :lmfao: :rolf2: :burnout:

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Takes me about 3 minutes to get out of my neighborhood, all 25MPH anyway so I just
take it easy through that, onto a 35MPH road, so again take it easy, then slam it downhill across the river. Makes going to work at least bearable. BTW, just rediscovered this forum - recognize a few names from some of the others. I'll be back!
The lounge is a hoot

:clap:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts