Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

Do you believe in a God??

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 258 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Honestly Im glad to see the poll numbers for God/Allah climb... makes for a more diverse discussion. I for one, think its better that some DO believe. We cant challenge our beliefs and grow without the other sides presenting their views.

I agree with Skeptic thinking agnostic is the only real alternative to believing.

And to take it step further... there can be no true faith in God without doubt. Once you remove doubt you are basically forced to believe... then free will and love go out the window. Well, unless you love Satan like DogZilla.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
In my opinion, any sane and rational person is truly agnostic, including christians and atheists. Nobody knows whether or not god exists. Only delusional people will think otherwise. I guess I never really understood the agnostic stance. I almost feel like it's just a way to avoid a label that has very negative reactions linked to it.
Saying you know for sure, and just having faith are two different things in my opinion. Unfortunately these lines are blurred in many protestant bible thumping homes I am afraid.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
OK, let me clarify my stance then. I voted agnostic. I believe nothing outside of the physical world exists, period. No ghost or goblins. No gods or devils. Nothing of the supernatural occurs.
I saw a ghost when I was a kid. Are you saying the white figure that was floating at the end of the bed in my friend's house was a figment of my imagination? If so, my imagination really scared the piss out of me :lol: I know I was awake and I know what I saw was there. The people that lived there saw stuff frequently, and that has been confirmed directly to me as an adult......

I believe in the supernatural. I don't believe in Aliens.

I believe in a higher power. I believe in evolution. I can't say that what others believe in is wrong. Nor can I say that what I believe in is right.

I love nature. I'm a hippie (but I don't wear patchouli) I do wear birkenstocks.

So, what does that make me? (aside from all fvcked up? :rolf2: )

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Saying you know for sure, and just having faith are two different things in my opinion. Unfortunately these lines are blurred in many protestant bible thumping homes I am afraid.
Equally so for non-protestant.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I saw a ghost when I was a kid. Are you saying the white figure that was floating at the end of the bed in my friend's house was a figment of my imagination? If so, my imagination really scared the piss out of me :lol: I know I was awake and I know what I saw was there. The people that lived there saw stuff frequently, and that has been confirmed directly to me as an adult......

I believe in a higher power. I believe in evolution. I can't say that what others believe in is wrong. Nor can I say that what I believe in is right.

I love nature. I'm a hippie (but I don't wear patchouli) I do wear birkenstocks.

That makes you verrrrrrrrry interesting.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts

Yes it was your imagination. Show me a proven paranormal event and I will consider it possible.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Just to chime in, I believe that BECAUSE no one can know, it's to me unjust to say someone isnt logical or is delusional to believe in higher beings. I have my faith and I let others have theirs, or a complete lack thereof. Think about it. If you CANNOT know if there is a higher existence, how can you say we're delusional for believing in higher existences? So I think claiming that agnostics are the only sane/logical ones around is sort of comparable to saying the best way to live life is never doing anything that might have a risk. You can't know til you try it. Well same kind of for beliefs, you cant know until the end, right? Choose a risk, choose a belief, same principles of living life in my opinion.

But honestly to me, we're all the same whether athiest, agnostic, Christian, whatever, the only ones I tag as "losing it" or "have lost it" are ones who take it to such a level that it's unhealthy either for the person itself, the persons they harm/kill, or breaks laws etc, you get the point

·
Registered
482 Posts

So wait you believe in supernatural and evolution but can not believe that in all of the universe there is not life on another planet? Yes that makes you very interesting. Statistics make not believing in aliens a very poor bet.

Outside of that, I pretty much follow your ideas. I too probably fall into the hippie category, course I went to Virginia Tech so you are either a hippie, a cadet or both from that school. And I do wear birkenstocks, have a pair of birkenstock shoes (not sandals) that I can wear to work :). Ugly shoes but **** comfy.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Just to chime in, I believe that BECAUSE no one can know, it's to me unjust to say someone isnt logical or is delusional to believe in higher beings. I have my faith and I let others have theirs, or a complete lack thereof. Think about it. If you CANNOT know if there is a higher existence, how can you say we're delusional for believing in higher existences? So I think claiming that agnostics are the only sane/logical ones around is sort of comparable to saying the best way to live life is never doing anything that might have a risk. You can't know til you try it. Well same kind of for beliefs, you cant know until the end, right? Choose a risk, choose a belief, same principles of living life in my opinion.

But honestly to me, we're all the same whether athiest, agnostic, Christian, whatever, the only ones I tag as "losing it" or "have lost it" are ones who take it to such a level that it's unhealthy either for the person itself, the persons they harm/kill, or breaks laws etc, you get the point
Ok, I think that was in response to my previous post. I think you just misinterpreted what I was saying, so let me clarify. I don't think someone is delusional for believing in God. I think someone is delusional if they claim to know for certain that god exists. It's a double edged sword because the same goes for an atheist that says they know for certain that he DOESN'T exist. That would make the atheist delusional as well.

I hope that makes sense. You and I claim different beliefs, but we can both agree that we don't know for certain whether or not god exists. That's because neither of us are delusional. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm delusional :doh: but I'm ok with that.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Equally so for non-protestant.
Yes but as many of your Republican brethren say...not all muslims are terrorist, but all terrorists are muslin (which is not even true by the way, but that is another argument) In the same light all bible thumping christian extremist, all of the televangelist money grubbing hypocritical whores seem to be Protestant. That's all.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts

So you are saying it is not logical to think someone is not logical in their thinking because of lack of any proof. IMO that is not logical, because people's believes are acquired over an entire life time. If someone else's view do not seem logical with or without fact i find it perfectly permissible to think them illogical. You cannot prove that murder is wrong, but I would be willing to bet you think that murder is not logical. I think you can see how there would be many other examples of this.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Yes but as many of your Republican brethren say...not all muslims are terrorist, but all terrorists are muslin (which is not even true by the way, but that is another argument) In the same light all bible thumping christian extremist, all of the televangelist money grubbing hypocritical whores seem to be Protestant. That's all.
wow.. I started to address your logic... then just gave up.

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts

Aliens,they haven't been found yet.(and I don't mean the wetbacks)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
wow.. I started to address your logic... then just gave up.

same <_<

And Skeptic, I realize I did misinterpret, oops haha but also to add, kinda what Jim was touching on, to me there is a fine line, but still a difference however, between delusion and ability to prove. I fully believe in God and I'm certain He does exist but I know I can't prove it myself or through research etc. I think someone is delusional to say there is hard proof of it (watch the nuts on TV lol), but I dont think to simply say "Yes I believe in God (or insert higher existence here)" makes a person delusional with just that one bit said.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So wait you believe in supernatural and evolution but can not believe that in all of the universe there is not life on another planet? Yes that makes you very interesting. Statistics make not believing in aliens a very poor bet.
I was going to make this point but then saw this point. I can't fathom how one can believe in evolution and the supernatural and ALSO believe that life on earth is the only intelligent life in the entire universe. If you meant that you didn't believe aliens are not nor ever have been on earth then that is understandable. But it's very hard to swallow that aliens don't exist anywhere universe considering the size and out limited knowledge of the universe.

Ok, I think that was in response to my previous post. I think you just misinterpreted what I was saying, so let me clarify. I don't think someone is delusional for believing in God. I think someone is delusional if they claim to know for certain that god exists. It's a double edged sword because the same goes for an atheist that says they know for certain that he DOESN'T exist. That would make the atheist delusional as well.

I hope that makes sense. You and I claim different beliefs, but we can both agree that we don't know for certain whether or not god exists. That's because neither of us are delusional. :cheers:
+1

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Is it just me or do you have a beef with anyone who professes faith in Christ. You typically slam Christians in a negative light (of which a very small % participate in the activities you list) and seem to have a general disdain for us. Try this one on. I'm a reg Republican Christian..I don't do any of the garbage you like to list, and fact do alot to help in my community at large. I volunteer at the homeless shelter, treat the sick and poor for free (I'm a physical therapist), work on housing projects for the poor, donate funds to worthy causes the world over (clean water, food, education, medicine, etc). I get the feeling you got your ass kicked on the playground as a kid by some bully that was a preachers kid...no? Than what bug is stuck in your butt about Christians? Other than Yoshi and I, I don't recall too many open christian posters on this site and, I may be bias, were both pretty cool with just about everybody. So again I ask...What's your problem?

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
Is it just me or do you have a beef with anyone who professes faith in Christ. You typically slam Christians in a negative light (of which a very small % participate in the activities you list) and seem to have a general disdain for us. Try this one on. I'm a reg Republican Christian..I don't do any of the garbage you like to list, and fact do alot to help in my community at large. I volunteer at the homeless shelter, treat the sick and poor for free (I'm a physical therapist), work on housing projects for the poor, donate funds to worthy causes the world over (clean water, food, education, medicine, etc). I get the feeling you got your ass kicked on the playground as a kid by some bully that was a preachers kid...no? Than what bug is stuck in your butt about Christians? Other than Yoshi and I, I don't recall too many open christian posters on this site and, I may be bias, were both pretty cool with just about everybody. So again I ask...What's your problem?
Don't change,the world needs more like you!

61 - 80 of 258 Posts