Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

Do you believe in a God??

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
also:

The truth doesn't mean anything. It just is.

If you keep saying it, the way it really is, eventually your word is law in the universe.

If you experience it, it's the truth. The same thing believed is a lie.

Obviously the truth is what's so. Not so obviously it's also, so what.

When you've said all of the bad things and all of the good things you haven't been saying,
you will find what you've really been withholding is "I love you."
You don't have to go looking for love
when it's where you come from.

(btw TOPS for the PMS crowd ;)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'll break the suspense. Christian. Poll kinda sucks in that Judeo-Christian / Allah are all lumped together. Jews and Christians believe in the same God but Jews don't believe Jesus is the Christ. Allah to Christians and Jews is a small g god not G God.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'll break the suspense. Christian. Poll kinda sucks in that Judeo-Christian / Allah are all lumped together. Jews and Christians believe in the same God but Jews don't believe Jesus is the Christ. Allah to Christians and Jews is a small g god not G God.
In a more modern sense, yes. However, all three spawn from the same historical doctrine and region. Whereas Buddhism and Hinduism are completely autonomous from everyone, including each other.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
You can be atheist and practice Wicca.
OK, let me clarify my stance then. I voted agnostic. I believe nothing outside of the physical world exists, period. No ghost or goblins. No gods or devils. Nothing of the supernatural occurs.

If God exists, he is hiding extremely well.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him." -Voltaire

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
also:

The truth doesn't mean anything. It just is.

If you keep saying it, the way it really is, eventually your word is law in the universe.

If you experience it, it's the truth. The same thing believed is a lie.

Obviously the truth is what's so. Not so obviously it's also, so what.

When you've said all of the bad things and all of the good things you haven't been saying,
you will find what you've really been withholding is "I love you."
You don't have to go looking for love
when it's where you come from.

(btw TOPS for the PMS crowd ;)
I think you've been on one to many "road" trips with Shirley McClain. :rolf2:

·
Registered
788 Posts
OK, let me clarify my stance then. I voted agnostic. I believe nothing outside of the physical world exists, period. No ghost or goblins. No gods or devils. Nothing of the supernatural occurs.
I believe that is the definition of an atheist. An agnostic basically refuses to take a stand. For me, it's because there is no way of proving or disproving the existence of God, based on the modern scientific method.

Main Entry: athe·ist: one who believes that there is no deity

Main Entry: ag·nos·tic : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

·
Banned
1,668 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what is your theory on how matter came to be in existence? As in If God did not create the universe what did. And if matter has always been how can there be any beginning, and yet how can there be a beginning? Who or how was time then created?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is your theory on how matter came to be in existence? As in If God did not create the universe what did. And if matter has always been how can there be any beginning, and yet how can there be a beginning? Who or how was time then created?
I think that's a good question. However, I feel most people forget that lack of knowledge or evidence does not prove (or disprove) the existence of a divine hand. Can't we just say, "I don't know," for now without assigning credit to some unseen force/being? That smacks of very childish thinking. "Did you take the cookies, Johnny?" "No, it was the ghost."

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
I think that's a good question. However, I feel most people forget that lack of knowledge or evidence does not prove (or disprove) the existence of a divine hand. Can't we just say, "I don't know," for now without assigning credit to some unseen force/being? That smacks of very childish thinking. "Did you take the cookies, Johnny?" "No, it was the ghost."
Sure you can say i don't know. **** I can say I don't know, because I don't. Is it okay that I ask someone else's theory thought?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sure you can say i don't know. **** I can say I don't know, because I don't. Is it okay that I ask someone else's theory thought?
um....yeah. Wasn't really directing my post at you, although I can see how it might seem that way. I just thought it was a good question, so I quoted it. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I believe that is the definition of an atheist. An agnostic basically refuses to take a stand. For me, it's because there is no way of proving or disproving the existence of God, based on the modern scientific method.

Main Entry: ag·nos·tic : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
In my opinion, any sane and rational person is truly agnostic, including christians and atheists. Nobody knows whether or not god exists. Only delusional people will think otherwise. I guess I never really understood the agnostic stance. I almost feel like it's just a way to avoid a label that has very negative reactions linked to it.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
It's pretty much accepted that Allah is historically the same God of Judeo-Christian religion. He is the God of Abraham in all three religions.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Choices ... choices. I picked Wiccan .. not because I am or intend to practice that religious belief, but because the closest I have ever I think come to a religious experice is when I am standing in front of a 'great' tree .. an oak that covers an acre .. a redwood .. that kinda stuff!

Well .. there was also the time I was at Gettysburg .. and was standing on Little Round Top. Not sure what THAT means .... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Choices ... choices. I picked Wiccan .. not because I am or intend to practice that religious belief, but because the closest I have ever I think come to a religious experice is when I am standing in front of a 'great' tree .. an oak that covers an acre .. a redwood .. that kinda stuff!

Well .. there was also the time I was at Gettysburg .. and was standing on Little Round Top. Not sure what THAT means .... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
In a more modern sense, yes. However, all three spawn from the same historical doctrine and region. Whereas Buddhism and Hinduism are completely autonomous from everyone, including each other.
Buddhism does borrow some gods/demons from Hinduism. Different sects of Buddhism recognize these older Hindu stories at varying degrees.

I wanted to give people a chance to vote that believed in a Buddhist spiritual world but didnt carry over all of the workings of Hinduism.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It's pretty much accepted that Allah is historically the same God of Judeo-Christian religion. He is the God of Abraham in both religions.
Historically correct. Philisophically the antethesis of Christian view of God though. Your right again on Abraham...Jacob (later Isreal) and Esau are the "fathers" of the middle east. Strange really. All related but willing to kill each other.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It's like a patchouli wrapped in a birkenstock in the middle of a woodstock.....wait, I think "enigma" was supposed to be in there somewhere.
You're the enigma. Well, you and your late night drunk posts. The Hippies are obvious in their weirdness.

That'd make you an Atheist. Welcome to the Dark Side :welcome:

+1

I know this was for Toykilla, but....

My sister is a born again Baptist.....so she's insane. She believes God was just hanging around, and *poof* planets, atmosphere, and life just showed up. "I Dream of Jeanie" type stuff.

She always says "So you believe there was a Big Bang and all this stuff just happened?" Christians always assume Atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory.

I have to tell her over and over "I have no idea in **** what happened, but I do not believe there was this omnipotent power just hanging around with nothing to do, and created life for fun."

Which of course doesn't sit well with her, since she has proof of what she believes.....The Bible. Then I tell her I read about a really hot threesome in Penthouse Forum, but that doesn't mean it really happened.......That one always pisses her off.

The fact is NO ONE knows how we got here, and either you believe some higher power made us....or you don't. It's that simple. The fact is we're here for a very short time, and people need to do more than waste that time trying not to piss God off in fear you'll burn in ****.

You're already there.

In my opinion, any sane and rational person is truly agnostic, including christians and atheists. Nobody knows whether or not god exists. Only delusional people will think otherwise. I guess I never really understood the agnostic stance. I almost feel like it's just a way to avoid a label that has very negative reactions linked to it.
Atheists are.....Atheists. If we were Agnostic, we'd be more confused than Christians.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Historically correct. Philisophically the antethesis of Christian view of God though. Your right again on Abraham...Jacob (later Isreal) and Esau are the "fathers" of the middle east. Strange really. All related but willing to kill each other.
Yeah, I know.

I didnt really intend it to be a poll on what religion we followed. Just if we believe in Gods or spirits that created the universe or set order to it... so in that case I saw the Judeo/Christian/Islamic God as the same figure.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yeah, I know.

I didnt really intend it to be a poll on what religion we followed. Just if we believe in Gods or spirits that created the universe or set order to it... so in that case I saw the Judeo/Christian/Islamic God as the same figure.
My bad...sorry for nit pickin, I normally hate that. Good post for dialog though :yourock:

41 - 60 of 258 Posts