Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

Do you believe in a God??

• Total voters
241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
LOL

That is a typical assumption toward Christians who utilize science in supporting their beliefs. Nonetheless, the science Christians use is the same science non-Christians use.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Apparently, when one is closely connected to a megachurch, one can act holier than thou.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/ap_on_..._s_wife_lawsuit

I wonder where these people get the idea that they're VIP and can act like that. Aren't they supposed to be humble and live a life of meagerness?

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
QUOTE (SmoothZ @ Aug 12 2008, 06:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=550549
Apparently, when one is closely connected to a megachurch, one can act holier than thou.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/ap_on_..._s_wife_lawsuit

I wonder where these people get the idea that they're VIP and can act like that. Aren't they supposed to be humble and live a life of meagerness?
They look down on other people(the non believers). Plus they do not recognize any other religion but their own! Humble and meager, very few of them are Robin Hoods!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I read the entire thing...sounds like the flight attendant might be gold digging????? Something is not right here.... But I'm not sure who is at fault. Question? Why is it wrong for Christians to be wealthy? Nobody seems to care about the wealth of many other religious (Kabala, Bhudist, christian science, Scientology......). I make a 6 figure living and I'm a Christian, does that make me a bad guy? Just thinking out loud. -Jim

·
Registered
192 Posts
QUOTE (JimZ350 @ Aug 13 2008, 06:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=550639
Question? Why is it wrong for Christians to be wealthy? Nobody seems to care about the wealth of many other religious (Kabala, Bhudist, christian science, Scientology......).

Christians becoming rich solely for being 'christian' usually stinks of opportunism. (Referring to heads of evangelist churches. Christian rock bands to a lesser degree.)
Also, Christianity is the most common religion around here. That's why local atheists rag on christianity. If you listen/read up on Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens or Daniel Dennett, they don't limit their criticism to just Christianity.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Jim, nothing against you at all but let me correct you on the issue of richness. Most Eastern religions are nothing like Christianity when it comes to worldy possessions. Tell me why we see so many huge churches here in the U.S. and why it seems they are so opulent. I think it has to do with showing off the wealth and power of that particular church. I'm sure it's the same way for other religions, but I don't see the leaders of those temples flying first class or living in huge estates in the Grand Caymans.

All I keep reading about is how the feds keep busting these church leaders for evading taxes, buying dope, screwing altar boys, and living the hog's life on what is supposed to be charitable funds.

My mom is a Buddhist and is dirt poor because she donates her money to the temples or spends it on food to give to the monks. That's the case for most Buddhists anyway.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Stumbled across this thread, ain't been here in a while, so I re-read some stuff. Its been a year, so why not give it the ol bump.....

^^^Yea, megachurches seem to put a bad taste in people's mouth's. It does mine, and I'm Christian!

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Stumbled across this thread, ain't been here in a while, so I re-read some stuff. Its been a year, so why not give it the ol bump.....

^^^Yea, megachurches seem to put a bad taste in people's mouth's. It does mine, and I'm Christian!
I bumped it even further.

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
God did not create the universe, says Hawking

By Michael Holden Michael Holden – Thu Sep 2, 9:08 am ET
LONDON (Reuters) – God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.
In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.
"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."
Hawking, 68, who won global recognition with his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time," an account of the origins of the universe, is renowned for his work on black holes, .
Since 1974, the scientist has worked on marrying the two cornerstones of modern physics -- Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which concerns gravity and large-scale phenomena, and quantum theory, which covers subatomic particles.
His latest comments suggest he has broken away from previous views he has expressed on religion. Previously, he wrote that the laws of physics meant it was simply not necessary to believe that God had intervened in the Big Bang.
He wrote in A Brief History ... "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God."
In his latest book, he said the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting another star other than the Sun helped deconstruct the view of the father of physics Isaac Newton that the universe could not have arisen out of chaos but was created by God.
"That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions -- the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings," he writes.
Hawking, who is only able to speak through a computer-generated voice synthesizer, has a neuro muscular dystrophy that has progressed over the years and left him almost completely paralyzed.
He began suffering the disease in his early 20s but went on to establish himself as one of the world's leading scientific authorities, and has also made guest appearances in "Star Trek" and the cartoons "Futurama" and "The Simpsons."
Last year he announced he was stepping down as Cambridge University's Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, a position once held by Newton and one he had held since 1979.
"The Grand Design" is due to go on sale next week.

God did not create the universe, says Hawking - Yahoo! News

·
Registered
722 Posts
In his latest book, he said the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting another star other than the Sun helped deconstruct the view of the father of physics Isaac Newton that the universe could not have arisen out of chaos but was created by God.
Wat?

This has to be misquoted or oversimplified. A planet orbiting another star disproves a creator?

I know the guy is far smarter than I will ever be, but proving a negative is a rather tall order.

This position seems akin to saying the discovery of a buddhist statue in Afghanistan "proves" the faces on Mt Rushmore where a random occurrence and therefore had no creator.

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
yes i believe in God and his son Jesus Christ our savior...
“Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky, and he has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these things he will send you to a place full of fire, and smoke, and burn and torture forever and ever ’till the end of time…. but he loves you.

"And he needs money.”
- George Carlin

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm an atheist...please don't spell it wrong!

Was raised in one of the 300 varieties of christism and attended a dozen or so other flavors until I realized it was all BS. God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs

:D
Do you believe in a higher power? Universal consciousness? Any type of spirit world...? If so then vote.

If you guys think of any more forms of God we can add it later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes I do believe in God and I am a Christian. That is my choice, I respect your choice to not be a Christian and not beleive in God. I do wonder how many times you will have to dump out Lincoln Logs before a Log Cabin spontanously appears.

241 - 258 of 258 Posts