Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I found this site while searching for Z sites other than my350z.com, trying to find something more tech oriented, and well...this is 350z-TECH ;)

I have a question about the Nismo style wings, do these have any positive effect on downforce at the rear or are they purely for show? I'm thinking the Track model diffusers are probably a more effective (if invisible) mod for my Base model?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
How much do you track your car?

The Nismo spoiler is going to be mainly for looks. May be a little more downforce than stock, but not much probably.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i got the nismo but the egtc wing thats the one from the long nose its actualy adjustable and is very functional, i dont think the other nismo wing is functional

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would imagine that there is a "speed" at which the wing becomes functional, maybe the manufacturer can give you that speed or speed range...?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by dkn420@Jun 20 2005, 09:58 AM
I would imagine that there is a "speed" at which the wing becomes functional, maybe the manufacturer can give you that speed or speed range...?
[snapback]117749[/snapback]​

I agree about it being functional at some point, but at regular speeds I'd say it's just for looks. I'm not a big fan of that spoiler, though. The base just kills the lines, IMHO.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Originally posted by dkn420@Jun 20 2005, 07:58 AM
[snapback]117749[/snapback]​

Aerodynamics start coming into effect at around 40mph or so. Thats when airfoils begin to develop lift (or negative lift as your spoiler is designed to create). However, being located on the trunk, the airflow is probably not reaching that area until 60-70mph - until then, its probably separating from the roofline at somewhere near mid-hatch.

Then, the faster you go, the easier it is for the air to stay "glued" to your car, and thus flow the complete length of the car.. thus making use of the spoiler.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If I recall correctly, Nissan developed it in the wind tunnel. It definitely is effective, or all the race cars (Performance Nissan, Schuitemaker, etc.) wouldn't be using it. They don't add useless weight to race cars.

I know with my Data Systems spoiler and Drag slicks, I was able to go from 18psi down to 13psi and keep the car stable.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Originally posted by 2003z@Jun 20 2005, 08:55 AM
If I recall correctly, Nissan developed it in the wind tunnel.  It definitely is effective, or all the race cars (Performance Nissan, Schuitemaker, etc.) wouldn't be using it.  They don't add useless weight to race cars.

I know with my Data Systems spoiler and Drag slicks, I was able to go from 18psi down to 13psi and keep the car stable.
[snapback]117791[/snapback]​

If I recall correctly, the Nismo wing was developed for "Play Station" or some other video game, to "Look" cool. :banghead: I know the "Race" teams use it, but I'm not sure why. But it does make a good billboard!

If you NEED a wing to "work", check out the JPGT Nismo wings.

I believe BJ stated recently that the wing made NO difference in lap times........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts