Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot of posts about tranny failures. I am thinking about buying a used one and was wondering. Anyone here have high millage and not having any problems out of their 6 speed?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it might be a driver thing also, but after seeing 36 pages of people telling the mileage and dealership they had it replaced at, it makes me wonder. Some were even on thier 3rd tranny. Not sure if I can believe it is all the driver doing this.

Swamibob

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
serviced at 6K & 18K miles replaced at 21.5K miles!

·
Registered
2 Posts
03'... Just got mine replaced today at 35k for grinding in 5th. Pulled out of the lot and on to the interstate, and grinded in 6th... with 2 miles on the transmission. I have drove a standard all my life and seriously doubt the problem is me... I think the Z's just have a tranny issue.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have 43,000 and I have only grinded when it was my own fault. I have never had they "can't get into gear at all without grinding" issue that so many have. If I ever have trouble, I will be right at the dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is starting to grind when hitting third gear, but only when cold. I need to slow down my shifting a lot to make sure it doesn't happen.

To the poeple with replaced trannies, what exactly happened?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i don't have a grinding problem on my 03, but every time i try to shift into 5th, it goes into 3rd. it feels like it's going where it's supposed to go, but i let out on the clutch and see it rev high. the only way to get it into 5th is to twist the shifter counter clockwise when going to 5th. anyone have a problem like this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Replaced tranny at 16k...39k now and taking it in tomorrow hopefully for another one and also the driveshaft fix. There is something seriously wrong with the design of this tranny. I've driven sticks for 16 years and am confident that this is not due to my driving style. I had a 2000 Maxima 5spd that I drove pretty hard for over 100k miles and I honestly can't recall a single instance of grinding gears.

On both transmissions, 1st to 2nd occasionally grinds badly when driven hard...5th to 6th seems more random and not as severe. All other gears are fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine is starting to grind when hitting third gear, but only when cold. I need to slow down my shifting a lot to make sure it doesn't happen.

To the poeple with replaced trannies, what exactly happened?
I took mine in yesterday (10-4) and they ordered a transmission for me. 5th grinds before setting in place. I have an '03 I bought 6 weeks ago with 11k on it. I'm pretty pissed and concerned but thankfully covered by warranty

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 03 with 97k on it and I also solo 1 and 2 rac with it and never had any grinding at all
shifts awsome ....

mind you I toss in sum lucas with the tranny fluid lol

1 - 20 of 48 Posts