Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any idea as to what these streaks might be, what caused them, and more importantly how to remove/get rid of them? Looks to me like maybe someone (not me) sprayed wheel cleaner on it and didn't rinse it off before it dried or a dog pissed on it? Just theories. It actually looks a little worse in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Have you taken the car through any automatic car washes? That looks kind of like the damage their wheel cleaners cause.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also got some weird streaks on my wheels that look just like that, but a little Mothers and some elbow grease took it off.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Have you tried to wash/rub them off and they're still there, or is it first observation?

If it's first observation and you haven't tried anything yet, then it could be brake pad dust + water splashing onto the rims driving through puddles (or, instead of brake pad dust, road grime in the puddles).

If you've already tried to clean the wheels by hand and the stuff keeps coming up after the wheels dry...get better wheel cleaner. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you taken the car through any automatic car washes? That looks kind of like the damage their wheel cleaners cause.
I personally would never take the Z thru an automatic car wash. Maybe someone else did.

I also got some weird streaks on my wheels that look just like that, but a little Mothers and some elbow grease took it off.
Thanks USMC350, I'll try that.

Scathing, which wheel cleaner do you suggest?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I would try a little rubbing compound if normal cleaners (like car wash soap) won't take it off.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Another thing that you can try is Plastix by Meguiars. It is intended for polishing plastic but I have found it's uses to be endless. It's a very fine abrasive (finer than rubbing compound I think) but it also has some kind of cleaner(s) that are very effective at loosening "contaminates".

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Scathing, which wheel cleaner do you suggest?
I'm not sure, but not that one if it doesn't clean properly :D

In seriousness, I use Meguiar's Acid-Free Wheel & Tire Cleaner. If I have grime baked on and impossible to shift with that, I'll hit it with Bug & Tar remover first. Then I use a wheel wax afterwards.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im telling you, mine looked just like that. Just get yourself a little jar of Mothers wheel polish and it should come off.

What I did was rub it on and let it sit for like five minutes then just rubbed the crap out of it and they came out good as new.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks alot USMC350. I'll try that. Nothing else has worked, ( wheel cleaner, bug & tar remover, chrome polish and mothers aluminum cleaner) so if this doesn't work, maybe a new set wheels are in the near future.:biggrin:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't polish to much. Nissan did it again. They mixed matched the primer to the paint coat, just like the white scratches on the doors and dash. (From what I've been told, this only happens to the 06' model)

This time they went ahead and thought it was a bright idea to primer the wheel in black and paint it silver. This is for Nissan:finger:. My v2 five spoke rims are showing signs of black primer on certain edges.

You do know polish is meant for bare metals and wax is for paint with clear coat. Polish is more abrasive, that's why it shines metal and aluminum. Wax will never do that . With the polish, I see myself reaching the primer.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
So I searched this site for the same problem, and voila! I used some Plast-X and was happy with the results. I think I'll use it more often.

Basically, I thought I had ruined my wheels and machined lips. Fortunately, that wasn't the case and was able to 'salvage' my error.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts