Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and got on the dyno today. I have an Injen SES, Kinetix V4, RT Cats, Grounding Kit and it's an 04 Touring 5AT. With these mods, I got 238.6 RWHP and 225 ft/lbs of torque. I then got the AAM ECU Reflash and the new numbers were: 241 RWHP and 233.9 ft/lbs of torque. Now, for the money I spent on the reflash I'm happy w/my torque improvement...but I'm really disappointed w/the minimal gain in hp. I'm not knocking anyone over at AAM or the company either, just venting my frustration at my car's minimal hp improvement. Any idea why the hp went up so little? I know that the car being an AT affects that, but would that alone hold the hp gains back that much?

·
Registered
728 Posts
[/quote]

here's my thoughts. You need to understand the differene between gains and Peak gains. You more than likely saw larger gains somewhere along the RPM curve than you did at peak. You need to look at the entire area under the curve in order to determine how beneficial it was. can you post the two dyno charts together? In addition, look at the A/F ratios and see if they were corrected.

The other thing to keep in miind is that you really don't have all the mods that would make the flash show it's full potential. Add headers, swap those cats with testpipes, and maybe get a popcharger or some other intake and I would bet the gains from the flash would larger.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[/quote]

here's my thoughts. You need to understand the differene between gains and Peak gains. You more than likely saw larger gains somewhere along the RPM curve than you did at peak. You need to look at the entire area under the curve in order to determine how beneficial it was. can you post the two dyno charts together? In addition, look at the A/F ratios and see if they were corrected.

The other thing to keep in miind is that you really don't have all the mods that would make the flash show it's full potential. Add headers, swap those cats with testpipes, and maybe get a popcharger or some other intake and I would bet the gains from the flash would larger.
<div align="right">[snapback]81930[/snapback]
[/quote]

I see what your saying about the mods and the gains varying across the board. I don't have an electronic copy of the dyno sheet, I'll have to scan it...I'll post it up in a little bit. I didn't think the RT Cats would be restrictive...

·
Registered
728 Posts
What type of dyno was this on? I know that my shop can send me files of the runs via email and on dynojet's website you can download a viewer and bring up the runs and be able to see changes at every point along the curve.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/quote]
it was a dynojet...i'll have to call the shop tomorrow and ask them to email them to me

·
Registered
587 Posts
The RT cats Flow almost as well as test pipes, no need to change those out. You numbers sound right on line with your mods on a 5AT. I have seen some At dyno as low as 215-220 stock. Did you do a stock base line?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[/quote]
Unfortunately I never did a stock baseline dyno, so all I am able to compare is my before ECU Reflash vs After ECU Reflash

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That's a nice increase in torque. That alone would make me happy with the reflash. Getting dyno results is a funny thing. It's like statistics; an inexact science.

·
Registered
728 Posts
[/quote]

Exactly - [email protected] companies manipulate the numbers till the customer thinks they are getting 25+hp for every part they buy

·
Registered
310 Posts
I agree completely with Zivman. There is a lot more there than just the peak increase. Funny thing is, the peak increase is usually of little value. The real value is the increase under the curve across the board.

Having the dyno chart posted here would help us to evaluate your gain and provide some insight. Really do try and scan it/post it. We could tell you a lot more.

As for test pipes vs. RT cats, stick with the cats. The test pipes only flow marginally more and they are dirty. Plus, you already bought the cats.

If you are looking for where to go next with mods, I would first start by looking at your A/F ratio. Make sure it is good and clean after the ECU flash. Next, I would maybe look at an popcharger and headers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
310 Posts
No wonder! Your A/F ratio was pretty good before the reflash. So, you are not going to gain much from a correct A/F ratio because you did not need one.

So, that leaves timing. Timing will gain you some power, and it looks like it did. You might not see a huge difference from before, but you did gain across the board. It looks like it was worth it to me. Sure, the difference between max power before and after is not all that great. However, look at the other spots. In some places, you gained 10 HP over a 1000 rpm band. That is not bad.

Concentrate on the new area under the curve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts