Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here run different brands in front and rear? I'm thinking about it, more because of the money than anything else. I just got the fronts replaced with brand new Potenzas. Now I have a flat rear and they have over 21k miles on them. I don't want to spend close to $500 for rubber when I can get what I consider better tread for $300.

Let me hear (or read) your opinions. TIA! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Dave, first of all, if you have feathering on your fronts, you should be able to get them replaced for free w/ your choice. I am actually going up to the dealership this weekend to see about that.

Secondly, you should be able to run different fronts and rears as long as you don't push the car.

I also ran into the same issue as you (cash) since my fronts only have about 4K miles on them, and I want to get different tires for the rear. But the extension of the tire feathering allows other options... as long as you have feathering on the fronts.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far, the brand new fronts are super quiet. Everything has been aligned and brought back into specs.

I'm thinking of the Dunlop Direzzas.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Good looking tires.

Can you at least try to make them feather? Trust me, it doesn't take a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I'm running Hankook Ventus on the front with Bridgestone Potenza SO-3's in the back. I wouldn't suggest driving any harder than spirited because you wouldn't want to oversteer or understeer, but once you get used to the setup it will be just as effective as having all 4 tires the same brand.

When tires are costing you $250/ea, you don't mess around with buying 4 at a time if you don't have to :rolf2: :lmfao:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I run different fronts and backs... for the first few days I take it a little easy to get the feel, but after a thousand or so miles on them, you should be able to handle the car just like all 4 are the same...

I'm going to try 4 brand news shortly and see if my opinion on this changes, but I've always run different fronts and rears since I bought the car a year ago.

·
Registered
155 Posts
paperjohn - how do those direzzas hold up? they are good looking tires for the cash...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This is my next choice: BFGoodrich KDW-2 T/A

Make sure to read the reviews. Great bargain as well IMO!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I ended up getting the Direzzas. I like the tread pattern, the weight is only 27 lbs, and they were only $137 a piece. Not bad. I already spun them this morning... :burnout:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My car is acting squirrely, but I guess that's normal until I get used to it. Thanks for the advice, Kenny.

The steering is a bit touchy or sensitive. I don't know how else to describe it. Seems I have to be more attentive to keep her straight. Not that I mind...I like being focused when driving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.