Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the main differences between crawford, DC, stillen, topspeed, etc... in regards to their headers. I have seen dyno postings as high as 22 rwhp gains on the crawfords, and as low as 9 rwhp for the topspeed headers. Why is there such a large difference in gains? Are the crawford headers really worth $1100+?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
There are many subtle differences such as length of headers, size, quality, thickness of walls, material, etc. It's all about R&D done by each company. From what I've heard, the Crawford plenum is supposed to be top notch.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Please only post the question once. You might want to do a general search for headers and do some research online. There are so many out there it all comes down to what you want to acheive, and how much money you are looking at spending. Budget sometimes defines what you can get. If you are not worried about money then do a comparitive look at all the options and go from there...

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Ok - this may take me a little while, but here goes.

Most of the headers on today's market are equal length headers. Most of them have about the same piping, some have a bit of a different twist here or there. A few are Stainless Steel & the others are well - I'm not exactly sure what. they are made of :helpsmilie: IMHO it doesn't matter if you buy a set of Borla's, DC Sport, Nismo or alphaworks - you're buying the same thing with a bit of difference between them.

To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 companies that make Long Tube, equal length headers Crawford & Xerd.

Xerd are a true Long Tube design as they completely eliminate the catalytic converters. This is not a problem if you live in an area that doesn't have any emissions requirements or are going to stricktly use the car on the track.

For most of us - Emissions is a beast that we must deal with - or will soon have to deal with :xZ!o:

Crawford's are also a True Long Tube design, they have chosen to go the route of the "Medusa" style so that we can run with either the stock Cats (California) or Hi-Flow cats (rest of the country).

Why is this important you ask?!?!
The more room between the block & the first bend of the exhaust manifold/header means the more HP that you will be adding. Don't believe me? Try this at home & you'll see what I mean.

Take a straight straw & blow through it. This would represent running with no exhaust what so ever. Now - begin at the end of the straw, making a small bend in it & work your way up to your mouth & see how easy it is to blow through it. :wink:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
The highest gains so far for Topspeed are 10rwhp, that's enough to make a decision IMO. A chance for 15rwhp vs. 5rwhp? (assuming you are average, heck, if you are lucky, it could be 20rwhp vs. 10rwhp)

Lowest i've seen for Nexus (Alphawerks-USDM spec headers) headers are 14rwhp...so it's up to you.

Nexus:
Lowest: 14rwhp
Highest: 21rwhp
Price: $675

Crawford:
Lowest: Unknown
Highest: ~40rwhp
Price: $1,150

TopSpeed:
Lowest: ~5rwhp
Highest: ~10rwhp
Price: ~$300

(DC Sports is about the same as TopSpeed, except ~$400 instead)

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
It depends on what you consider the "best." Look at my above post, if you think the possibilty of gaining 20rwhp throughout the powerband and 40rwhp at redline is worth $1,150 then go for Crawford headers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking about the difference in hp gains between the various manufacturers. Its true that Top Speed headers generate between a 5-15 hp gain and Crawford generate between 20-40, however there is a reason for this. I could be wrong, but just bear with me for a min. The reason that Top Speed, DC, etc... produce lower gains that xerd and crawford isnt necessarily due to quality, but the design. Since Crawford/Xerd are long tubes, they take into account the hp gains that you would normally receive with h/f cats or test pipes, which is why you tipically see 20+ gains. Shorty headers like DC/Top Speed only give you hp gains on the "header portion". If you add the gains you receive from test pipes, usually around 8 - 12 hp, you will see gains close to what you would get with Crawford or Xerd headers.
I could be wrong in my assumption, but I just though I would put this out there.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
[/quote]

That may be the case with the Xerd's but Crawfords are a Equal Length, Long Tube that fits in the same area as any of the "shorty" style headers so you can't discount them that way. Not only that put you can't "add" given Hp for each product & say: Headers = 20 Test Pipes = 12 so I have an additional 32 Hp.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
[/quote]
The highest gains so far for Topspeed are 10rwhp, that's enough to make a decision IMO. A chance for 15rwhp vs. 5rwhp? (assuming you are average, heck, if you are lucky, it could be 20rwhp vs. 10rwhp)

Lowest i've seen for Nexus (Alphawerks-USDM spec headers) headers are 14rwhp...so it's up to you.

Nexus:

Crawford:

TopSpeed:

<div align="right">[snapback]104166[/snapback]
[/quote]

Please tell me this 40rwhp from Crawford is on a Supercharged Z.. I call BS on a NA Z

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
He's saying that with the Crawford headers you will be able to have test pipes, unlike Xerd. At least that's what I've gathered.

I'm finding this thread very interesting.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
[/quote]

Nexus:

Crawford:

TopSpeed:

[/quote]

Please tell me this 40rwhp from Crawford is on a Supercharged Z.. I call BS on a NA Z
<div align="right">[snapback]104324[/snapback]
[/quote]

Before you raise the :bsflag: Josh - I believe that the 40rwhp is for the entire Crawford package (Upper Plenum, Headers & Hi-Flow Cats). I'll check with Doug this weekend & let you know when I get back from vacation. :werd:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
No, Crawford's headers utilize the stock catalytic converters. And my power quote for Crawford was incorrect, someone pointed out that it is 20-40rwhp with Crawford plenum and cats.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]

Nexus:

Crawford:

TopSpeed:

[/quote]

[/quote]
I misquoted, read my above post. My apologies. And yes, I thought it was a bit extreme as well.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]

Nexus:

Crawford:

TopSpeed:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Before you raise the :bsflag: Josh - I believe that the 40rwhp is for the entire Crawford package (Upper Plenum, Headers & Hi-Flow Cats). I'll check with Doug this weekend & let you know when I get back from vacation. :werd:
<div align="right">[snapback]104363[/snapback]
[/quote]
Read my post above my other one. I misquoted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts