Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok was looking at some diferent Intake plenums. And the there is a like almost a $200 dif on these 2? I was wondering why. I mean don't they do the same thing. ok here are the diferences.

AAM-$269 this is made out of 6061-T6 Aluminum

APS tall boy-$445 this is cast light weight alloy.

What is the difference? I have been looking at the too. The aps seems to be the whole cover. and the AAM is just the spacer. Am I correct and which do you think is better? :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Ok was looking at some diferent Intake plenums. And the there is a like almost a $200 dif on these 2? I was wondering why. I mean don't they do the same thing. ok here are the diferences.

AAM-$269 this is made out of 6061-T6 Aluminum

APS tall boy-$445 this is cast light weight alloy.

What is the difference? I have been looking at the too. The aps seems to be the whole cover. and the AAM is just the spacer. Am I correct and which do you think is better? :helpsmilie:
The AAM is just a spacer..correct..

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
There are alot of variation on the market for plenum upgrades. There are Upper plenums, Full upper/lower replacement manifolds, a lower plenum, and plenum spacers.

The price differences result from several factors:

-who makes the part (each company has different costs and profit margins
-what is the part made from? some are plastic, some aluminum, etc..
-each is made a different way: molded, cast, welded
-full plenum? spacer? half plenum?

Read up here for the plenum information:
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Part:plenums

Spacers are located here:
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Part:Intake_Accessories

·
Registered
798 Posts
There are alot of variation on the market for plenum upgrades. There are Upper plenums, Full upper/lower replacement manifolds, a lower plenum, and plenum spacers.

The price differences result from several factors:

-who makes the part (each company has different costs and profit margins
-what is the part made from? some are plastic, some aluminum, etc..
-each is made a different way: molded, cast, welded
-full plenum? spacer? half plenum?

Read up here for the plenum information:
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Part:plenums

Spacers are located here:
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Part:Intake_Accessories

hey just checked out the links to wiki... my first time...it was great :irock: My question is it says that the kinetix spacer you can still use the factory strut bar but mine never fit. now i am driving without the strut bar in my car. is this a problem? Can it create problems for the car in the future without driving with a strut bar? They have it in the car for a reason so I am just wondering about that. And should I stick with this plenum spacer or go with the kinetix manifold? I noticed that the bar will fit if I get that one.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I am sorry this must be repetitive but where is the wiki icon on the forum i cant find it.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
hey just checked out the links to wiki... my first time...it was great :irock: My question is it says that the kinetix spacer you can still use the factory strut bar but mine never fit. now i am driving without the strut bar in my car. is this a problem? Can it create problems for the car in the future without driving with a strut bar? They have it in the car for a reason so I am just wondering about that. And should I stick with this plenum spacer or go with the kinetix manifold? I noticed that the bar will fit if I get that one.
I wouldn't worry about that missing strut bar. As for the spacers on the Kinetix bar, I've heard of some people having problems with fitment while others do not. Strange...

I'm not a fan of Kinetix.

·
Registered
798 Posts
why? did u have problems or heard of problems?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
why? did u have problems or heard of problems?
Karen, Kinetix had some issues with some of their original few plastic plenums designs cracking. I guess now fitment differences between plenums too? - First time hearing this. Since then, they seemed to have fix the cracking problem.

I have a Kinetix SSV Plenum on order, so obviously I do not see them as being too bad of a company :biggrin:.

Have you considered the SSV? Stainless steel design, and I have not heard of any problems thus far.

Like Dave said, I wouldn't worry about the missing strut bar. There will be a slight difference in handling performance, but should not be too noticeable.

·
Registered
798 Posts
yes definitely thinking about it. But i wanted to know if there were any differences. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
yes definitely thinking about it. But i wanted to know if there were any differences. Thanks guys
Karen Karen Karen.....

you have the SSV manifold on order, you are going to go with one of the best out there. HOWever if you decide to change your mind i suggest you go with the APS tall boy, i have not heard but good feedback

if i were you i would stick with the SSV, i loved it when i had it, sounds mean, u feel the gain, however i recoomend u getting an exhaust with it.
if u change ur mind simply switch to APS, and get the APS exhaust 2.5" with it

·
Registered
798 Posts
whats the aps 2.5? remember I am not as fluent as urself in this kind of stuff. what about the blue tip exhaust? will that go well with it?
(btw) this is my 100th post. I am going to have a party real quick...... :)

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I am sorry this must be repetitive but where is the wiki icon on the forum i cant find it.
See at the very top of the site where it says "Tech Guide"

whats the aps 2.5? remember I am not as fluent as urself in this kind of stuff. what about the blue tip exhaust? will that go well with it?
(btw) this is my 100th post. I am going to have a party real quick......
APS 2.5" dual exhaust, they also have a 3" dual exhaust

·
Registered
798 Posts
thanks for the wiki guide..... the aps 2.5 or 3....... is that in diameter? or length of the tip? Sorry if I am asking stupid questions... :doh:

·
Registered
798 Posts
OK toykilla:
I am going to bombard you with questions since it seems u know quite abit about this stuff.
I went to the wiki page and looked at the different exhaust systems placed on there but did not see the one I wanted. A true dual exhaust...... Is there a fake dual exhaust? I mean I know that you can just add tips but whats that true dual? If i were to purchase the (i think its the burnt tip) exhaust...the blue tip. Will I be adding the complete exhaust system? Will this affect my warranty for the car? since I know that they told me not to change anything on it.... (I am anyway :irock: ) Once I change that Do I need to get the car tuned in anyway? I heard every time you add something to the car u have to get it tuned?

SSV manifold: I understand everyone said there really is no difference between this one and the one I have but what is the point of this one? I think the price difference is really out there and the diff in look is dramatic. Why?

sorry to be a pain.... I have been thinking alot about this lately and I want to make sure that I am going to do the right thing.

·
Registered
798 Posts
here is the APS 2.5"

here is the 3"

here is the APS tall boy

that tall boy is an ugly thing...... didnt see a diff in the 2.5 or 3

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
that tall boy is an ugly th
if you going to compare it to the SSV , it is :)

i heard that APS are making something simialr to the SSV. i dunno if its only a rumor.

2.5 and 3"
the difference is only the diameter of the exhaust pipes....plus it is better for air flow, but its only for Turbo people. if you are staying Na i dont think u are going to need it.
u can just stic kwith the 2.5"

if you want Ti tips, there is the Invidia G200

·
Registered
798 Posts
really? would the aps be readily avail and cheaper..... since someone sold his for a cheap price now i have to buy for more.... :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.