Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
well i seem to be developing the dreaded transmission problems that some have had. i have about 46 k on the odo and ive been noticing that 5th gear grinds. it only does it under hard acceleration. when i shift slow it seems fine. occasionally down shifting into 5th creates the same result. my warranty is up and i dont want to have to replace my tranny if i dont have to. any suggestions?
mdzowner

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
If I remember correctly, you can always go back and purchase a warranty on a used vehicle. Nothing says you can't buy a new warranty after your old one is up.

With that said, I suppose that if you don't want to replace it, you could start by replacing the fluid with better synthetic stuff like Redline or Motul. That might help prolong the life. Otherwise, start saving your pocket change.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does any one know if the tranny is under the standard warranty or the powertrain warranty? if its the latter then i could possibly get a new one under warantee. i would call and ask but it is sunday.
mdzowner

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Powertrain warranty. Standard applies to everything else on your car, like electronics, engine, etc. I suggest you go over your warranty paperwork with a fine tooth comb.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"update"
im getting a new tranny. they couldnt tell me why just yet but im getting one? next question, should i get the fly wheel and upgraded clutch while its out? any suggestions?
mdzowner

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by Jetpilot718@Jun 7 2005, 08:31 PM
Tilton or Nismo have been good as far as i've heard.
[snapback]110801[/snapback]​

my third gear was started to grind under hard acceleration then over time it would grind everytime i shift into 3rd, i took the car back and nissan said i had internal trans damage, it was covered under warranty at 33k. The nissan service manager said powertrain is covered up to 60k if your under 60k take it back to nissan they should give u a new tranny. i got a new trans, clutch and flywheel runs strong and feels like a new car again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts