Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatsup every1,

Well now that I'm going to be removing my AC compressor and corresponding piping & misc parts. I have come across an idea that I'd like to get your guys's input on:

Does anyone think putting a turbo in place of where the AC compressor was would be a good idea? This should conceivably allow for room for a turbo as large as a single T-66 (possibly 88) but of course the piping would be a bit of a PITA to say the least.

I was thinking of going with possibly a GT28/30 (to start) then upgrade to a 42R or 42RS later on down the road when the engine can handle it component wise. If I couldnt get my hands on a GT series easly, I think a 60-1, or T66+ would work just as well. Of course intially I'd probably only be looking at running a wastegate with spring set at a 5-7psi for starters. That's why I mentioned the GT28/30 earlier, with such a low boost level it'd be nice to get a single T that would be matched enough to allow for quick spool and some decent CFM per psi at the low end of the boost spectrum.

I would route the stock manifolds in a Y pipe then run that back to the turbo with the down pipe going back to the exhaust ala single route instead of the current duals. Seemingly it looks like there may be some options for FM, which I'd consider the HKS V-CON Pro, E-Manage, or an ECU reflash.

Any1 every considered this before? I think it would be a great way to mount a single T in the engine bay w/out sacrificing the hood. But of course you'd loose AC so these kinda setup would only be for idiots, or hard-core power ppl. What are your guys's thoughts on such a setup?

--j2

·
Registered
806 Posts
Dude, I seriously have no idea what you just said, but where exactly is the AC compressor? Two, how much will all of this cost if you do the install yourself?

I think the idea is pretty neat, but I would never consider that since I'm in Florida and AC is a must. If you do go ahead and do it, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there NismoKid,

If you were to pop your hood and follow the second belt which goes to the right, you'll see the AC compressor from there. The actual space down there when I first intially removed it provided me with an idea of hmm.... now a turbo could fit down there kind of thought.

Compared to all the pics of the other single T kits that have been floating around, I'd believe this would be a good alternative. Of course that kind of turbo placement would immediateliy negate about 99% of the ppl as it would be taking away their right to have an AC. But overall I am seriously looking at this approach of how to mount a single T.

--j2

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turbo = 800-1400
Wastegate = 100-400
BOV = 100-300
metal gaskets = 20-150
custom piping = 300-800
profec e-01 = ~450
emanage = 200-450
RC 440/720cc = 500-1100
decent intercooler = 500-1400
larger fuel pump/regulator = ~300
Misc. (oil tap, fittings, SS lines) = 50-200

So it can be anywhere from say 3650 - 6950 dollars, just depends on what kinda quality of parts I'd like to go with, what size of turbo, etc. The newest GTBB series of turbo's are of course quite expensive since they are so new.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only PITA would of course be matching the turbo to the size of the engine, that'll take the most time and patience. I need to get together with someone who has some mapping software so I can start looking at some flow charts.

--j2

·
Registered
806 Posts
Will there be any problems with having a turbo on one bank of the engine and with the other bank not having a turbo? Would the back pressure difference cause any damage in the long run?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shouldn't negatively hurt the turbo, but it could definately affect spool characteristics. I would like to have equal length to the collector which would immediately (as possible) follow the headers, and then from there it would be one pipe running to the turbo. This would be the hard part, to find the best path so-to-speak with bends and piping material. I would ideally like to use SS for this. But I would also have to look at re-enforcing the SS to try and help offshoot some of the weight being placed on the pipes to *try and prevent cracking in the long run @ weld joints. The ambient air would feed into the IC into the plenum using a direct and least amount of bends kinda route possible and the down pipe would simply run all the way back. The downpipe would be where I would weld in the o2 bungs to keep them in the loop. I'd be interested to see if the ECU ended up throwing a CE light or not. Hmm..

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Big single turbo = lag...?...

TT setups for not much more than you're talkin, if you do your own install. Fuel maps already done. How much boost you think you can put on stock VQ internals?...Motor's good up to about 500 hp....before you add dish pistons $$$$$, sleeved block $$$$, etc.

Storebought setups will already be 'mapped' to VQ spec., thereby saving you hour$ of frustration....

Why 'reinvent the wheel'?...well, it's fun, but I need AC, AND I need my Z on the road, not on the rack...

Good luck.........

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
i think its kool you wanna build your own setup, but i say if you have the money and want to do it then go for it!

i also agree with lionkiller though about "reinventing the wheel"

Goodluck with the project and keep us posted, if ya need help besure to ask

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yeh. I had to lay off my R & D Dept. last year....

& coming from the carbureted age, I'm not smart enough to program an ECU just yet...

But I do have a car to 'burn'...
(winks at red Mits in driveway...)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Turbonetics just announced last week that they have completed there single turbo kit and are testing a couple engine management options right now. Hoping to be completed by november and there target price range for kit including intercoolor and BB turbo was 5-6k.

Should be interesting, but they seem to have a nice kit if you wanna wait for theirs and keep your AC, or possibley leach off their development for your own works.

Take care

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Thanks for the update. I wonder how well it would do. A lot of shops sell the GReddy TT with the intercooler for around $5900. I don't know how much the APS kit is going to cost

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by ColecatZ@Jul 30 2004, 07:33 PM
Turbonetics just announced last week that they have completed there single turbo kit and are testing a couple engine management options right now.  Hoping to be completed by november and there target price range for kit including intercoolor and BB turbo was 5-6k.

Should be interesting, but they seem to have a nice kit if you wanna wait for theirs and keep your AC, or possibley leach off their development for your own works.

Take care

screw losing the air. Air is a gift from the man upstairs! As far as I am concerned....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts