Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little new to the Z scene
Currently running berk test pipes and fairlady exhaust, not really liking the rasp around 4k rpm...

Wondering what exhaust has a deep sound? I hear the greddy evo is deep, but is there any others or another way to kill the raspy sound?
Thanks guys.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
408 Posts
There are many exhaust systems that may change the tone of your exhaust.

However, the problem with the rasp you are getting is the test pipes,not the exhaust system.
Some owners have installed different Y pipes. These may reduce rasp. There are some
types that have resonators.

The only way to kill the rasp is to ditch the test pipes and change to HFC's.

I'm running a similar setup: Nismo S-Tune coupled with HFC's.
No rasp at all. Just some supercar (Lambo etc)back -off when letting off WOT.
I also have a Nismo cam set.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I can only comment on the type of exhausts I have direct experience with. On my street Z33, the Stillen true duals with single tips are just what I prefer. Not much additional sound while cruising at anything below 4K RPM, but start to climb above that and the VQ just screams with a great note!

The race Z has Berk test pipes on the transplanted VQ35HR and uses a single outlet Magnaflow muffler. Many people hear it idling and assume it's a full-on, built race motor. But nothing could be further from the truth- SCCA and NASA rules don't really allow you to touch the engine, just tuning via the original ECM.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My apologies for elaborating on the aftermarket exhaust questions.
One thing to keep in mind is a aftermarket system will be louder.
Hey,most times owners want the sound rather than the "gains"
from the system. Depending on the type of driving you do,because
of the way the 350Z is designed,you will get more sound in the cabin.
Not entirely pleasant for some during long hwy miles. Most of this sound
is due to the rear wheel wells being IN the cabin.
You can sound proof the trunk and other areas if this is a concern.
Just keep this in mind.
As dkmura stated,the Stillen true dual is fairly quiet at idle and low RPM's.
I've had a few Borla systems in other cars I've owned.
Pretty much the same.
The sound you get from the exhaust system is very subjective.
Much has to do with the base sound comes from the great VQ engine tone.
Personally,I like the VQ sound. My Nismo S-tune keeps the tone. Its only
a bit more aggressive. Adding HFC's makes it come to life at upper RPM's.

When selecting a system,take care to get one that fits.With the Nismo system
and other "name" brands,its a direct bolt on .All the holes match etc.
You may not find this with knock offs selling for 500 bucks.
Its the old,you get what you pay for deal. A cheap system may get an annoying
rattle after awhile.
My Nismo system looks brand new after about 5years on the car.
Another thing---you may get lucky as some systems are made by some of the top brands.
The Nismo system is made by Fujitsubo for example.
Just do your homework .

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have the money a HKS true duel sounds great . I am running Stillen long tube headers , onto berk test pipes , out to true duals . On a start up it sets car alarms off all the time . I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Whats test pipe when I hear people say that im not sure what there talking about
Test pipes are replacements for the catalytic converters on both sides of a V6 engine. They can only be used on race cars and in areas where emission control requirements are not in place. Not recommended for street cars and if you're concerned about adding tailpipe pollutants to the air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Test pipes are replacements for the catalytic converters on both sides of a V6 engine. They can only be used on race cars and in areas where emission control requirements are not in place. Not recommended for street cars and if you're concerned about adding tailpipe pollutants to the air.
Thanks now I understand when they talk about it

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're welcome- do you have a Z you're considering an exhaust system for? :grin:
Hi im saving up to buy a 350z and just working out all the best stuff to do to it when I get one I own 260z at the moment ive had it for 30 years and love it I just have this feeling to try something newer in the zed range I know the 350z wont be as cool as the 260 lol

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The Z33 has HP and TQ the 260Z could only dream of. It's a great blend of a bit of V6 muscle and Z handling that is so COOL!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts