Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a lot of people around me are telling me to leave the z how it is and not waste money.. i don't think it's a waste. I'm only 20 years old and a college student but I have a REALLY good job (the z will be paid off by next summer; $16,000 down). but like with my cars in the past I have to heavily mod it. Trouble is, I can't decide on turbo, supercharger, or n/a. anybody have pros and cons? i mean, i have seen all- motor z's with full interior break into the 12's. help?
pic of my baby: http://img135.echo.cx/my.php?image=picture1811gc.jpg

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
well, IMO opinion i dont think its a waste. everyone has their own opinion on what they should do to the Z, and i say if you wanna mod it go ahead. i would say dont mod your car if your financially unstable which sounds like your not. as far as SC, TT, N/A, etc it depends on your goals you want to achieve. i hope this helps and im sure there will be others here to help you out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, i know i'm the type of person who likes to go all the way when it comes to modifying cars(no half steppin here), so which ever decision I make I'm going extreme yet practical.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I suggest you spend a LOT of time in the F/I forum researching before you do it. There have been a lot of Z's blowing motors for different reasons. You should plan on spending a LOT of dough to build the motor up etc to insure that you don't go and blow yours. Going SC OR TT w/ the 350Z is no easy or cheap road to take. Ask KShep or Going Deep....

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
The way I'm planning on going with the FI is through the Stillen SC. It isn't the most powerful one out there in stage 1 form, but there has not been a single case of one of those blowing the engine. Besides, if it does, Stillen offers a 30K mile warrantee on the blower and the motor.

Also, it is pretty easy to install.. as the SC bolts right in place of the stock intake plenum. The only internals that need to be changed are the spark plugs (need a colder set for the SC). Its good for 80hp in stage 1 form, add an intercooler and a pulley, and you'll be right next to the TT numbers.

Oh yeah, its a much cheaper kit too.. can be had for $3700.

·
Registered
57 Posts
well all motor you should expect not to go faster than 12's. super charger is kinda the same the pro to that is reliability. the vortech kit makes a consistant 375 rwhp. but thats that you wont get much more than that. turbo is king if your looking to go fast, just make sure your dealing with a place that can ultimatly tune the car. tuning is important. there are lots of good turbo kits if you need info or pricing on any post back and let me know.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
First off, what are your power goals? And how much are you willing to spend? I would figure that out first. If you think 15,000-20,000 for 500rwhp is absurd, this may not be the car for you. Though, ask yourself if 300-320rwhp with definite reliability is worth 7,000-10,000?

Your power goal can determine so much if it is over 450rwhp. It can tell you what parts you need. If it's over 550rwhp, it can tell you what kits are your options. If it's the ultimate in reliability, it can tell you almost exactly which few kits are your options. (and etc.)

·
Registered
470 Posts
id go with the vortech, i think its pretty safe i have had min installed for about 3 months and i havent had one problem!! i think procharger is the one who most blows engines or am i wrong?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by djkern@Jun 8 2005, 10:27 PM
what do you do for work???
[snapback]111450[/snapback]​

I work at a BMW dealership as the Manager of the BMW/MINI loaner car program; But I also do custom body work, paint wheels, do custom a/v and stereo installation, etc., etc..

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Compliment your intake with an exhaust. Or if you have the time and money, go FI. If not, then add a pulley system, plenum, intake throttle body, suspension mods, new wheels, and stereo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by he2nyce+Jun 9 2005, 05:32 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-djkern
@Jun 8 2005, 10:27 PM
what do you do for work???
[snapback]111450[/snapback]​

I work at a BMW dealership as the Manager of the BMW/MINI loaner car program; But I also do custom body work, paint wheels, do custom a/v and stereo installation, etc., etc..
[snapback]112048[/snapback]​

a little off topic, but here's a pic of my wheels that I painted for my GSR a couple months ago...
http://img144.echo.cx/my.php?image=picture1681he.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Jun 9 2005, 05:41 PM
Compliment your intake with an exhaust.  Or if you have the time and money, go FI.  If not, then add a pulley system, plenum, intake throttle body, suspension mods, new wheels, and stereo.
[snapback]112057[/snapback]​

yeah, i think I am going to get my exhaust and then figure out which route i want to go in a little while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts