Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. What would you recommend. DC Sports SS headers, or Borla SS headers? I'm planning on buying one of the two and can't make up my mind. Oh all how will they work(fit) with the exhaust I have and I'm also planning on adding Crawford cats.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
If it makes it any easier to choose, I know Nismokid is selling his DC headers on this site. Check out the classifieds under intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think the Borlas actually show a loss in power...might want to look into that. DC's have decent gains from what I've read.

If you want to save some dough and gain 10-15hp and 8-10lb/ft across the board, try to find someone selling their TopSpeed headers that got them through a group buy. I got mine for $250 shipped, including gaskets of course.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I would get almost anything other than Borla since David Borla himself says they don't gain anything.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just bought the Crawford headers and I think for the money spent the gains will be there. They look more like a work of art and will make the Crawford cats sound even better.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]

:doh: how did you get him to leak that info??
<div align="right">[snapback]77333[/snapback]
[/quote]
:rolf2:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I'm pretty sure he stated that after they first came out and people did dyno's and proved they didn't gain hardly anything (2 or below hp)

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
The thing is, with our engines, the main componants are already pretty well engineered. Headers dont change the sound of the engine, therefore, the company has no reason to make headers restrictive. Now, exhausts do change the vehicle sound, so it makes sense to change the exhaust (because stock, it is restrictive). Same with intake, cats, etc.. Dont waste time on things that are not, and have no reason to be restrictive.. this is a $30K car here, the engineers are paid enough to do a good job!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Are you trying to say the stock exhaust is fine?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are the Crawford headers ceramic or stainless steel?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Ceramic I believe. They definately aren't stainless steel and they aren't titanium, so I guess ceramic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I was looking at the picture and they sure didn't looking ceramic. ****, they are expensive for ceramic headers.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
Ceramic is the second best material to use for headers. It dissipates exhaust air quicker than stainless-steel and I think it's a little lighter than SS. However, titanium is THE best there is...it's the lightest, although it doesn't dissipate heat as well as ceramic, which you could JetHot coat it and have the lightest material with superior dissipitation. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ceramic isn't a material that headers are made out of, it's a coating that reduces heat transferred to the other side of the metal and also extends the life of the metal from corrosion. Mild steel is used (majority of the time) with a ceramic coating.

Edit: Mild steel (ceramic) isn't that good of a material either. Jason at Performance has the ceramic DC Sports headers and he said they'll start to rust in 5 years, but he doesn't care because he'll have something different at that time. If you're going to swap out headers, I'd suggest going SS.

·
Registered
728 Posts
[/quote]

With the proper coating, mild steal will last as long as SS. mild steal handles heat better than SS. It has better properties that allow it to expand and contract due to heat better than SS, which has the potential to crack easier. The crawfords are mild steal because the collectors used to fabricate them are not made in SS - this is what craford informed when I inquired about the material. Mild steal is easier to work and is cheaper with and thus should translate into a cheaper price, but as we all know, the crawfords are cheap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts