Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three lights constantly on, they are, the service engine soon light, tire pressure light, and air bag light. I have recently purchased car. Was told that the tire pressure light was on because of a censor needing a battery, he said it was 145 dollars so he did not bother with fixing. The air bag light, he said was on because, the steering wheel was replaced with a removable one and the air bag was in the original steering wheel. I replaced the steering wheel with the original he had, hooked the air bag electronics and horn, but light still on. Woe is me! The service engine light was not on when purchase, it after driving it home 1 hour! It came on during this trip. All I did was fill the tank, but made sure the cap was reinstalled with the three clicks. I do not know what prompted it to come on. I purchased an Ancel JB 700 code reader analyze, to try to read why these lights were on and how to turn them off, the code reader did nothing about or tell me about these lights. It would not reset the check engine light or anything, I boxed it up and this worthless thing is going back. It did tell me a code I think PO420, that said something like the cat converters number one bank ya di ya di was ya di ya di. When I looked up the code it said nearly 12 things could be wrong. So this is where i am at, I bought the code reader thinking it would tell me what to do, because I have an inspection coming up for the new used car, and I am not sure it will pass with these lights on.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
It sounds like there are three separate problems you need to address. First, take the Z to a tire shop that can check and replace the tire pressure monitor. Next, you need to reset the airbag light after reinstalling the OEM wheel and airbag. The CEL with the P0420 code will need an experienced tech to use a diagnostic tree to determine what is causing the fault. That takes time, training and experience- all of which you lack.

Forget about having us diagnose that last problem from behind a keyboard. You're much better off using a local tech with Nissan-specific training. Even a local Nissan dealership will usually charge an hour of shop time to diagnose a problem, so if time is a factor, that might be a possibility.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Worthless? Is this your first time using a code reader? It gave you the P0420 didn’t it?

No basic code readers PINPOINT an issue. It takes a trained tech and/or with a very costly, dealership level CONSULT 3.

You get what you pay for with consumer level devices.

Giving you DTCs is the first step. From there, you put in the sweat equity to work through the possibilities OR, take it to a tech with the necessary hardware and software. But that’s no guarantee it will diagnose on the first try, the techs also have to do some work in order to narrow down the diagnosis.

Reactions: dkmura
1 - 3 of 3 Posts