Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just got back from a three day 1,250km tour around the Victorian High Country. It was sensational!

I have a problem now though.

Yesterday morning it was wet and I was pushing hard into a corner and the red brake warning light came on but didn't go off for at least 10 secs (I noticed it came on way early and before the ABS kicked in). At the same time I managed to kick in the VDC & ABS. What happened then was the VDC OFF & SLIP lights stayed on full time. I stopped the car and turned the iginition off & on again and it was OK.

It happened a couple more time during the day and I was getting worried that I had stuffed something $$$. (see attached photo of example)

This morning I turned the igtnion on and the red brake warning light came on - so too did the VDC OFF and SLIP lights.

I called Nissan 24hr roadside care who promptly put me through to the local RACV bloke who of course could not help me....

I decided to drive home knowing that I had no VDC and possibly no ABS. I noticed however when I braked hard the brake warning light turned off sometimes (weird!) (the VDC OFF & Slip lights remained on though). If I then turned the ignition off and on again the VDC OFF & SLIP lights would also go off. They would however come straight back on if the brake warning light was on for more than 5 or so secs.

What is happening. I think the pads on the rear might be near worn. The fronts are new! Maybe it is a safety system for a worn pad situation???? Brake fluid is at normal level. Brake feel is normal too.

Thoughts please before I take it to our good friends at Nissan.....

Cheers

RGS

PS I hope this makes sense!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Hello clint.

Ok about that.

I reckon you better ask the Nissan Dealer to check.

It's either you reset the ECU or You could have fried the ABS pump (happen to me after three days of owning it).

So you better call the Dealer to ask them to check.

While you in Melbourne might as well go to Garry Rogers.
You can ask David O'niel is the man and the password is "Richard sent you" LOL ( sorry Z350lover your name is very usefull every where LOL)

also one more thing. I hope it still has the Factory warranty?

for reseting your ECU. Try the Easiest one first. To disconnect your battery overnight. Or do the Technosquare Pedal reset.

Hope that helps.

Yun

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Not sure what's wrong. But the only indication of a worn rear pad is a severe squeeling noise upon application of the brake. The pads still work fine when this noise is heard, and there is probably still at least 1000km of useable pad material left when this noise is first heard. The noise is just **** annoying to the point that you want to replace the pad in a hurry. The noise is caused by a metal tab that scrapes against the rotor when the brake is applied. It shouldn't damage the rotor as the metal is a soft copper from memory.

You definately need to take the car to Nissan for a diagnosis on their Consult machine.

BTW, you may want to clear your average speed indication before taking the car to Nissan!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nizmo Pete - you were'nt far of the money mate.

Turned out that all four pads had worn down so much (in just one month for the front RB74 pads!!!) that the pistons were out so far that the brake fluid was low. Apparently there is a sensor in the fluid reservoir and it turns off the VDC and ABS if it is low.

Race Brakes put new pads in front and rear today and problem has been fixed! I was very worried that I fried the ABS pump like Yun suggested!

Mind you I only got one months wear out of the RB74's in the front.....

Cheers

Clint

PS - thanks for the other suggestions too guys!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Ah i see.

So it was you in Race brakes.

lol i called howard on changing the Fluid and enquire the Stainless steel brake lines :)

I though it was lionking hahaha.

Well i'm really glad it was sorted out.

cheers
Yun

PS: why don't u come on this Friday night for a drag race? :D

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Mind you I only got one months wear out of the RB74's in the front.....
One month OMG!!!!!

What the **** did you do to the brakes to wear out a set of RB74's in such a short time???
This must be some kind of a record (not one that I'd want though).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts