Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Damaged by Truck

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  smoothz 
#1 ·
On my way home, I was behind a truck with those big ole open container.. One that usually carries rocks and what not. Well I dont normally follow trucks for this exact reason...but rock or something flew off the truck and left a big ole chip on my winshield and left a 1/8 by 1/8 mark on my driver side fender. Took the paint right off and and left me with metal.

I got the trucks plate and the company name. I just got off the phone with them but they were not cooperative.

Should I call my insurance company or wait til they fix it or fight it in court.. I think the windshield will be atleast 150+ and fixing that big chip on the fender is gonna be repaint job 200+.

Your thoughts.. anyone please..

See less See more
#2 ·
I would complain to the motor vehicle department about their unsafe trucks to people on the roads and tell them what happened to you. That could be considered a road hazard and a danger to public safety.

I would also contact the ombudsman for a local news station (they love that stuff) and submit your story. I bet the trucking company will be more than happy to accomodate you after that. Write down what transpired from the time of the accident to your phone conversation (names, times, dates, plates, etc).

I hate trucks!

#5 ·
**** James sorry to hear that. The same thing happened to me when I had my explorer. Its BS that they can just put a sign on the back of those things saying "not responsible for broken windshields," while they are spewing rocks out of the back of it!

#7 ·
Woudl this affect my insurance you think ? I sure hope not...

#8 ·
this is the conversation between me and the trucking company

TC: Hello
Me: Hello
TC: You called me, what you need ?
ME: Thanks for being so kind. My car was damaged by one of your trucks. This is the license plate nuber 3333333
TC: Hold on let me transfer you to the dispatch department
ME: Oh ok.
TC: Hello (same person that tranfered me)
Me: Helo
TC: You called me.
Me: I am not gonna play games with you. You were gonna transfer me to the dispatch so I could get my car fixed
TC: I am dispatch, I am accounting I am..
Me: Why the **** did you transfer me to yourself ?
TC: Call back tomorrow
Me: I dont think so, just answer my lawyers call tomorrow.

Then I hung up the phone. What a joke

#9 ·
haha. That's classic. I'm not sure what the law is on this sort of thing, but I don't think you can go after them. I mean, could I go after some moron who rode the shoulder and kicked a bunch of gravel up at my car? I don't think so. I agree that these trucks are a PITA but I don't see how you're going to get anything from them. Best of luck though, hope you do.

#10 ·
Dude, that same thing happened to me. I have a chip out of my hood, I even have the clear bra and it tore thru that. I didn't get any information on the stupid semi and now it has almost been a year and it is almost all the way across the windshield. It's so sad to see that every day. I think the truck company should pay for it.

#12 ·
And wifey looks at me funny when I accelerate to pass one of those POS's...

I think here in CA you're scr3wed when that happens.

& I hate that 'slow-mo' camera effect when you look up at the back of a big POS gravel truck & see bounce...bounce.......bounce....& there's nothing you can do. Argh!

#14 ·
The same thing happened to me in my integra - I got the license plate of the truck and called my insurance company.

My insurance company told me I'd have to somehow prove that the rock came out of the back of the truck and straight onto my windshield. If the rock first hit the ground or actually came off the tire the truck company couldn't be held liable.

What kind of BS is that - how can you prove something like that - I was so pissed!!

---Cathy
03 Silverstone Touring
95 Integra GSR - Turbo'd 13.4 @ 104
91 Mazda Miata

#15 ·
Originally posted by LBSOHK@Sep 30 2004, 11:08 AM
**** that sucks... you got a gun ?

Your hilarious...

I called Geico and they said they will handle everything. They will be the middle man in handling the claim. Just take the car to a shop of my choice and have them take care of it and they will retrieve the funds from the body shop.

So far it looks good.

#16 ·
The same thing happened to me in my integra - I got the license plate of the truck and called my insurance company.

My insurance company told me I'd have to somehow prove that the rock came out of the back of the truck and straight onto my windshield. If the rock first hit the ground or actually came off the tire the truck company couldn't be held liable.

What kind of BS is that - how can you prove something like that - I was so pissed!!
Exactly. I have a bitch of a scratch on my hood from road debris. So what's to stop me from just calling up some trucking company next time I see a gravel truck and saying "hey your truck dropped a rock and now my car's chipped". I mean it's almost a year old, and there's no way to prove they did it, but no way for them to disprove it either.

#17 ·
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Sep 29 2004, 04:49 PM
I would complain to the motor vehicle department about their unsafe trucks to people on the roads and tell them what happened to you.  That could be considered a road hazard and a danger to public safety.

I would also contact the ombudsman for a local news station (they love that stuff) and submit your story.  I bet the trucking company will be more than happy to accomodate you after that.  Write down what transpired from the time of the accident to your phone conversation (names, times, dates, plates, etc).

I hate trucks! 

i see someone has had some expierence with truck companies.

#18 ·
Nah, just experience in covering my ass or being observant. I like to watch or read the news, and for some reason that jogged my memory. I've also filed a complaint for an unrelated incident with the State's Attorney General's office and state Dept of Commerce. So I know what they want to read. Plus I work for the govt, which makes me an expert in writing reports.

I can't believe insurance companies will pay for cracked windshields but don't believe you when a rock from a truck scratches or dents your car's body. WTF! Isn't that why we pay premiums, to cover for accidents which by definition are unplanned events that are injurious by nature?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.