Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Here is the initial info for everyone that might be interested in this.

I have obtained a spare gauge cluster that I will sending to www.speedhut.com. They make custom gauge faces among other things, which is what this thread is about. This is a really cool thing we can do to our Z's to give them that extra tricked out look. Base prices on the website start around $70, but I will post again later to give you all of the updates. If you click on this link below you can see all of the options you have to make your own Custom gauge face. This is some really cool stuff.

Example of custom gauge faces at SpeedHut

Now the idea is that we need at least 25 people to get in on this to make it a go with the tooling. I say we because it is more than just me, this is for everyone who is interested.

PM me or send me an email to [email protected] for details and I will let you know how you can get in on this and secure your custom gauge face.

Also, I am looking for the battery and oil pressure gauges above the navigation door(I dont' need the digital one) if anyone has them lying around and is willing to part with them for this project, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I've been looking for a way to do this for a long time, but what kind of color options do we have? I would like to color match it to certain pieces of my car that I'll eventually have painted etc. How does he do all this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well... speaking from someone who has had the cluster off and completely ripped apart to design my custom shift lights, changing the face of the gauges is something that cannot be done. There is no way to remove the needles from the gauges without breaking them off (Believe me, I've tried). I am VERY curious to see how they think that they can do this.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I find that hard to believe, but I'll defer to you since I've never taken my gaugepod apart. Seems like they have enough experience on other cars, I'm just not sure I want to use their color scheme's and such.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a reply I received from the guy who works for Speedhut.com. He says that the faces will slip over the needles, so you are just covering them.

HI Ray,
Sorry for late reply.
We can make the holes large enough that the needles don't have to be
removed. This does cause a black circle around the needle hubs but insures
that no one will break needles.
This would be how the gauges would be made.
I have invited him to join us online so if you have any questions for him we can let him know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, larger holes would solve the problem of getting the face over the needles, but it will really would look hideously ugly with big black circles in the middle of the gauges, don't you think? Maybe if we saw one all put together we could get a better idea, but just based on the description, I think that it might look a little silly.

-Chris

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would be very interested in this, but I would have to see a sample.

Chris, might you be wrong about the needle removal? Afterall, how did they get the face laid down and the needle mounted in the first place? I cannot see them gluing the needle on, althought that would work. There must be some way to remove the needle and bezzle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by peptidbond@Jul 22 2004, 12:59 PM
I would be very interested in this, but I would have to see a sample.

Chris, might you be wrong about the needle removal? Afterall, how did they get the face laid down and the needle mounted in the first place? I cannot see them gluing the needle on, althought that would work. There must be some way to remove the needle and bezzle.

Well, it looks like the part that goes through the front is then soldered to the part on the back making it one solid unit. I have tried very hard to remove the needles and they are permanent. I wish it wasn't so, but unfortunately it is.

-Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
I may have more intrest if you had some PICS of a Z cluster allready done.
Dont forget if you change the color of the gauges on the wheel the cluster on the dash is still orange along with the stock Bose if you still have it---What would speed hut do with this?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been having trouble contacting Speedhut. They are starting to really piss me off. I have sent the guy multiple emails with a bunch of questions and he has yet to get back to me. Considering that I went on vacation for the past 10 days, I won't know for sure if he replied to me until I have a chance to check my email at home. But, to let you know, I have not forgotten about this project, it just hasn't been given the proper attention from Speedhut.com.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I did this with my frontier--- speedhut gauges ---

I would love to do this with my Z as well....however other projects are taking priority right now. All I have to say is that speedhut makes a great product. I am certain that the gauges for the Z will be flawless.

Anyways here are some before and after from my frontier:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been talking with Speedhut after coming back from vacation. Here is the latest email...

When asked about producing gauge faces that would allow for the stock orange light to come through but still have custom graphics.. i.e. white gauge faces.

The indiglo layer will not let any of the stock lighting through. However, depending on the color of the dial, it will determine what the color of the glow is at night. For example, a red font color will glow red at night. Very bright Red! Much brighter red than the stock bulbs could produce and much more even lighting. A white font color glows blue and a blue font color glows blue. Our design template on the web site shows exactly what it looks like at night.

We could produce only the dials without indiglo behind them (in the Reverse glow option only). Producing dials this way will not let the graphics (like flames) glow evenly. Only the numbers and tick marks will let the stock amber color through.THIS MEANS THAT THEY CAN MAKE WHITE GAUGE FACES WITH CUSTOM GRAPHICS, BUT IT WONT GLOW

We can add graphics to the dials that would be visible during the day but not glow at night.
When asked about changing the stock color of the gauge lighting and what would be involved...

Also, the stock lighting bulbs are actually surface mount LED's that are located inside the instrument cluster. Sort of hard to replace. I guess someone with a good soldering iron could with some patience remove them and change them to a different color.
So there you have it, what the possiblities are for your custom gauge faces, all you have to do is order your set and get at least 25 people do so. And if you want to make sure you get it just the way you want it, send either myself or speedhut an email and we can help you out!

Enjoy...

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
The MT guages have the blinding rev limiter and the AT guages display either P, R, N, D, or M and the gear you're in

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nuts...that could be a hassle in AT models when in manual mode since its sorta necessary to beable to see what gear ur in.

Any possibility on a AT version ZXrage?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts