Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey: hi everyone
i want to get my center console painted.

what kind of paint do i use?

HOW? do i just take the thing off, sand it and spray it???

plzzzz :helpsmilie: :wavey:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
:wavey: hi everyone
i want to get my center console painted.

what kind of paint do i use?

HOW? do i just take the thing off, sand it and spray it???

plzzzz :helpsmilie: :wavey:
Toykilla's tutorial on his custom fiberglass/painting of HIS dash

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
painting is not that easy if you want it to look good. But basics:

1. sand all texture smooth (down to 200grit paper)
2. prime
3. paint color
4. paint clear
5. wet sand and buff

that is the minimum if you want it to look good. You can do additional sanding steps if you like, and you wont get a great finish with spray cans.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
do you have to do the wetsanding and buffing?
if you are extremely careful you can get by without it. The wet sand and buff will get rid of any surface flaws and dust that my accumulate while its drying. It will also shine alot more.

·
Registered
785 Posts
As with all auto painting, make color sanding a priority. It is the difference between neat and amazing. There are plenty of tutorials on the web if you're not sure how to do it ( it takes patience). I have had good luck with the transtar brand primers (oriellys usually stocks these). They seem to bond well and help in minimizing spider cracking.

·
Registered
106 Posts
G2 products work real well for painting interior parts. It requires little prep. Just clean parts in soap and water, apply G2 plastic primer and then paint. I did this on my Eclipse and it turned out great and it was a show car. Just some more info for ya! :)

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
As with all auto painting, make color sanding a priority. It is the difference between neat and amazing. There are plenty of tutorials on the web if you're not sure how to do it ( it takes patience). I have had good luck with the transtar brand primers (oriellys usually stocks these). They seem to bond well and help in minimizing spider cracking.
are you suggestion to sand the primer, color, and clear?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I wouldn't sand the primer unless it needed it bumps, craggy spots etc..
As for the color sand I would wait a week to let the paint and clear gas out. Then start with 1000 grit wet paper and spray bottle and slick it up like glass using a back and forth motion with lots of water to keep the paper clear. If you sand with light pressure and patience eventually you will cut through the orange peel ( if there are shiny spots after you wash it, you haven't gone far enough). Next use a good buffing pad and compound to remove the fine scratches left by the paper. Finally use a polishing pad to hone the finish.Apply waxes etc as you prefer. In my experience doing this will give a deep mirror like finish with minimal orange peel. Obviously the trick is less is more approach. You don't want to burn the paint or finish, you are just trying to remove the slight surface defect left from the crappy paint that they sell today. I did this on a really good paint job, that was done buy a guy who is an expert in laying down a good color base and it changed the entire look of the finish. Personally I would recommend you try it on a piece of scrap first to get the feel for the process.

·
Registered
346 Posts
painting is not that easy if you want it to look good. But basics:

1. sand all texture smooth (down to 200grit paper)

that is the minimum if you want it to look good. You can do additional sanding steps if you like, and you wont get a great finish with spray cans.
what kind of sand paper should i buy?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts