Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this email today... :)

Being debuted at the major shows this year. Still waiting on some specs, it came through a friend of mine's shop. Look like everything was converted to drive-by-wire though. :)

Drive-by-wire, is instead of mechanical, it uses a wire to control something. It's electronic, everything is processed by the ECU before it will do anything. We have throttle-by-wire on the Z.

You steer with the joystick. I haven't gotten an email back from him yet, so i'm not sure what setup they chose to drive it. They could have went with pedals and a paddle shifter.

I'm glad it looks so clean on the outside though. It looks awesome! (the wheels aren't great though)

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/MY350Z_members/custom350z.jpg');}" />
screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/MY350Z_members/custom350z1.jpg');}" />
screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/MY350Z_members/custom350z2.jpg');}" />

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't see any pedals, so acceleration and braking is done by a button as well.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:lol: No missiles...hey...this could be the new Z for the new Bond. :lmfao: Yeah...like the brits would allow them to use a EUROPEAN OWNED JAPANESE COMPANY. :rolf2:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah...this is the most unique Z i've ever seen. I'm glad it doesn't have a gaudy body kit on it though.

·
Registered
655 Posts
That is some crazy ****. But man, I hate Lambos.....

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
that's a neat looking car....cool idea....but it's about as safe as a condom with holes in it. :)

yes...i know handicapped people have cars that have these types of things in them....but, they still have poles going to the pedals. only the steering is done by a joystick (and that is rare as well).

looks like there is the center joystick and another one to the left of the seat (but, for some reason, the one to the left of the seat looks like the emergency brake).

i wouldn't feel safe driving that. too little control.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably isn't street legal. It's a show car anyway. :)

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
[/quote]

yeah, no way it's street legal. but, i'd like to try to drive it....i think it would take a lot of coordination. i think it would be fun to try. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
[/quote]

yeah, no way it's street legal. but, i'd like to try to drive it....i think it would take a lot of coordination. i think it would be fun to try. :)
<div align="right">[snapback]90694[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is where someone could prove all those hours playing video games really was usefull. Hand eye coordination and all. I bet once you get used to the controls it would be easier to drive then normal.

I'd like to know how the controls are set up. Is throttle pushing forward, or a button.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My friend still hasn't wrote back...don't worry, as SOON as I get more info i'll post it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
:OMG: Interesting. Don't know if I like it, but interesting. Keep us posted with more info Nis350zTT.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
[/quote]

<div align="right">[snapback]90694[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is where someone could prove all those hours playing video games really was usefull. Hand eye coordination and all. I bet once you get used to the controls it would be easier to drive then normal.

I'd like to know how the controls are set up. Is throttle pushing forward, or a button.
<div align="right">[snapback]90719[/snapback]
[/quote]

i don't think it would be as easy as video games. i think the reaction time for a real car is still going to be different from a video game....even though videogames are getting pretty sophisticated. i think maneuvering an actual car would be a lot different than what someone does with their nintendo.

if pushing the joystick forward makes the car go as fast as you push it forward...and pulling it back applies the brakes in relation to how far you pull it back...and moving the joystick from left to right turns the car....well, i think it'll be even harder to keep accurate control of the car. i was thinking that the lever on the left side of the drivers seat controlled the speed whereas the joystick controled the maneuvering.

either way....once you get the hang of it...yeah, you'll bo comfortable doing it. but, i would think it'll be harder than jumping in a regular car and driving....even if you have millions of nintento hours. haha. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I remember Mercedes Benz was playing around with the drive-by-wire idea about 8 year ago. They made an SL600 with the same exact setup, but without a screen where the wheel goes, just another glovebox (the SL was yellow, too!). They said it would never be street legal, so they wouldn't make it like that. They were just testing the drive-by-wire system and what it could do. Thanks for the pics. Here's an article on the SL http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom/0,,0-...0-0-0-0,00.html

Edit: What is the lever on the left side of the driver's seat? The parking brake?

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/MY350Z_members/custom350z2.jpg');}" />

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
[/quote]

looks like they had moved the transmission shifter to that side, seems there is slots for putting it into gear, though that photo is not that clear and i could be wrong

·
Registered
785 Posts
The joystick looks like a logitech wingman, which considering how many of those pos's I have had crap out on me I hope it is not.
If wasn't for the first hand statements I would almost thinks this is a photochop.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
What happens if you spill coffee on the joystick? drop your cd case on it? Pass out at the wheel? Man you'd be all over the road! These things better never be legalized... I'm afraid of the 90 year old drivers already.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a reply the other day but didn't check my mail until today... :)

the guy that brought the car to me would not get very detailed about how it worked. the company will unveil this car at the sema show. he said they will have several ways to steer the cars. mini hand held steering wheel, mini joy stick, and a all in one (brake, gas, steer ) joy stick. it is all computer controlled. you select drive, reverse, park on the computer screen in front of the driver. he was saying there are a minimum of 4 back ups for every function. so if one connection failed you wont crash.
  here are all the pics i took before he left.    i wish i knew more. sorry!
I'll post the pics he sent with this email in a minute, gotta get them hosted. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts