Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching and reading through a few threads I have decided to go with the Cusco RS but when I enquired about this unit they mentioned that there were the following models in the RS range:

1 & 2way version or
1.5 & 2way version

The question is which is better suited for me. My main use of the car is going through the twisties and the occasional track work. I do not drift nor do I intend to (on purpose anyway)

Now speaking with a few guys they all mention that the 2 way is mainly for drift but reading the threads most guys use the 2 way for the track so a little lost to make a decision.

Michael

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Cool, I liked the review of this diff also.

From my understanding,

2 Way will transfer all the power to both wheels when traction is lost under acceleration AND deceleration.

And a 1.5 will transfer all the power to both wheels when traction is lost under acceleration and only transfer half of the power to both when traction is lost under deceleration.

Which is better for you im not sure, i'll do some investigation as im interested as well.

Im waiting for a review of the ATS carbon diff and the Quaife Torsen diff, have you considered these?

I read the RX7s used Torsen diffs and it contributed to them beating the Porsches at Bathurst, amoung other things.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't checked out the ATS. From what I understand is that Quaife is not out yet for the Z. Seems like a good design with a lot of positive reviews but I’m usually biased. Japanese through and through. The other thing is that for about AU$1200 the Cusco seemed good value.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
The ATS Carbon diff is supposed to be quieter than normal plate diffs, so I will be waiting for this one. GQ_626 has one and hasnt installed it yet so hopefully he will soon then we'll have a review to go by.

AU $1200 is good, wheres that from?

Regarding other people buying the 2-way, keep in mind some people will automatically think 2 is better than 1.5 and buy the 2 by default.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the ATS support different lock %'s without removing the LSD?

This was from the ATS web site which sort of answers my question.

-------------------------
A 1.5 way LSD is suitable for FF cars since 2 way produces too much understeer going into a corner for FF cars. A 2 way LSD is preferred by advanced drivers for FR / MR cars. However, many novice drivers find 1.5 way LSD easier to use for FR / MR cars at the breaking.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
After reading more on the ATS and going to the Japan site, in theory the ATS carbon one sounds better. And is more suited to yours and my needs.

Dont know if it allows adjustability, i'll PM GQ.

Which do you think you'll go with 1.5 or 2 way based on that info? The easier to use or the hardcore professional? Maybe some more info is needed on why a advanced driver would want the car to handle that way.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Edit, Not sure I can tell which is better from that diagram, what is your take on it?

A guy in the states said he needed to be careful on breaking with the 2-way as the arse would lock and kick out as a result.

Heres your diagram.
screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://www.a-t-s.co.jp/e-atsgif/2way.gif');}" />

Heres the carbon one, trying to show the benefit.
screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://www.a-t-s-usa.com/images/photos/carbon-lsd-line.jpg');}" />

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basically what I understand is that the 2way will understeer under deceleration and then start to turn in quicker than normal. Looking at the image and the "feel" of my car now I would go the 1.5

The ATS site says not to adjust the torque setting and comes preset from factory. I found greenline has the ATS list for AU$1300 but need to confirm price and fitment.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my case i'm trying to get rid of the feeling in the rear end where it seems to jerk then just flatten out. I have had this issue from day one.

And yes I know if I push it harder it will be fine but I just do not like the feeling.

The other thing is that I have never replacement the OEM LSD in any of my cars and most drivers recommend this as one of the first mods. So I wish to give it a go and learn what it really does and to see if it is worth it.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
David, The stock diff isn’t setup for handling the increased traction provided by my new tyres and the viscous friction additives can get sheered rendering the diff useless. I also feel the diff is unpredictable at times so I would like to remove this doubt. And after reading a review from the US I liked the way the benefits were described and the Cusco’s noise and tyre dragging were far reduced compared to others.

Michael, FYI GQ is installing his carbon diff next week so he should have a review around then.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Ive put my 275 wide S03s back on. :)

Michael, One thing I just thought of, on the ATS site here:
http://www.a-t-s-usa.com/ats-products/lsd-...tion-nissan.htm

"For Z33 automatic, the final gear set for 6 speed Z33 (38100-0C460) is required"

Does this mean you need to use the 6MT final drive gear for the diff to work correctly?

I have an 6MT but I may want to upgrade to the 350EVO one at some stage, will this affect the diff? If it doesnt work with the 5AT, then it might not with the 350EVO? I'll PM GQ again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
For the street and racetrack you should get 1.5 way LSD. Also the OEM LSD unit is enclosed and it's not effected by gear oil. It also means that the fluid in LSD will sheer and age as kms go by and it will perform worse, also the harder you drive it the faster it will happen. Worst of all, we can't replace the fluid.

As for the 350evo gear set, it's the same as the 6MT, it's something to do with offsets I think.

David, as for what the aftermarket LSDs will do that the OEM doesn't, it will allow you to control your rear end much better, it'll also make it bit more sensitive to throttle control. You should be able to break the rear end a lot easier and control the slide for lot longer time. Like you mentioned in the DECA thread that you were only able to control the slide for a short time, with an aftermarket LSD you'll be able to control it for a lot longer. Also on race track you'll be able to get on the throttle much faster when exiting corners.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mchapman,

That is something I cannot answer. Maybe Nuff is right.

Just Jap is the OZ distributors of the ATS products. I am waiting on a price back from them. Will update as soon as I know.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I just wanted to add that it would be worth waiting for Quaife LSD, silent, less tire wear, much smoother transition instead of instant on and off. The best part is it's maintenance free unlike clutch based ones, once it's installed you'll never have to open it up to replace the clutch plates, it might be a bigger investment up front, but better long term.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Like you mentioned in the DECA thread that you were only able to control the slide for a short time, with an aftermarket LSD you'll be able to control it for a lot longer.

I'd say that my 'lack of contol' is due to lack of skill ... I'm sure that the car can be drifted in a constant radious circle ... you just need to know what you're doing. I's say I'm much better at bringing the tail in, instead of hanging it out.

Though, not that a different diff would (possibly) make it easier.

Also on race track you'll be able to get on the throttle much faster when exiting corners.

Yep, LSD that will lock the rear wheels sooner will alow you to get on power earlier as it will limit the rear wheel-spin. Though at the same time it will produce more undertseer when you get on power. At least that's my understanding of 'trade offs' with the diffs.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts