Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cusco offer a 6 and 7 point rollcage, US$810.00 and US$989.00 respectively.

Anyone know if these are legal in Australia? Ive heard full rollcages are illegal but I dont know about this example.

Note: Im not really thinking of getting this but am curious as to the legality of it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think the full rollcage is illegal, but half rollcages as in behind the seats back are legal. But I can't reall to well now.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The bar is not allowed to be above your head it must come past you at approximatly waist height while seated.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well IMO the first to pics are illegal. There is not enough info on the third picture to make a judgement

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Because the distance between your head and the cage isn't far enough.

While the cage might improve cabin rigidity, your "rollover safety" isn't really that much better since your head is going to smash into a hard metal pipe during that roll.....which kind of offsets the gains in safety.

Also, I remember hearing from somewhere that you're not allowed to disable or interfere with any safety features in the car. This came up when I asked about people's aftermarket steering wheels, and how because the OEM one has an airbag their aftermarket wheel was illegal.

If this is true, then replacing the 350Z seats would not be legal. Nor would putting in a full cage as it would interfere with the curtain and seat-mounted airbags.

·
Registered
303 Posts
In NSW everything is illegal! :cry:

·
Registered
562 Posts
I loved the QLD when I lived there, great roads and everything legal :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Tell me about it.

When I bought a set of throw-on style seat covers, they actually had a warning that said you should consult your local motor registry for the legality of using them, as they interfere with seat-mounted airbags and thus might not be legal.

Seat covers!

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
The day they hook up your ECU to a GPS or broadcaster to transmit what you're doing back to the police for speed enforcement, or use it to speed limit your vehicle, is the day I sell my car and buy something with carbies. :)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
That will be the day that the GTHO will be KING once more. Original examples are worth well over $50K now, just imagine how much one would be worth if cars were speed limited to the actual speed limit of the road it was on!!!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Jelly they are WELL over $50K!

Im showing my age here but when I was in year 11 and 12 my best mates old man had a phase three. He had it resprayed at the time and paid $18K to get it done.

That's not so bad you think, but, it was 1981!!!!!

He ended up selling it in 1983 for $45k, keeping in mind when they were released in 1970 - 71 they sold for about $5500.

Sorry to get off topic but that was THE car that got me interested in cars!

As always

H

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I said 50K as I had heard that one had been sold for about that price many many years ago. I reality, they probably sell for around $100K now (just my guess).

The HO has always been a favourite of mine and why my allegiences lie with the blue oval in V8 touring cars races.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They wouldnt even need to hook it up to the ECU as GPS could tell your speed by the time it takes to travel any given distance.

I dont think they would use goveners etc as they dont generate revenue! They'll just keep taking your license away and charging you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts