Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been alot of people in need of camber adjustment in the front of the Z. Several companies offer solutions, but only Cusco seem affordable (~400$) A few people tried the cusco arms only to realize they were designed to increase NEGATIVE camber. They have a range of +.5 to -1.5 degrees of adjustment from stock. This is not good for lowered cars. However, I was able to modify these arms to get +1 degree of camber adjustment. I have not had my car aligned yet so i cannot post final results, but i can say that i was successful in increasing the adjustment of these arms. After installation there is a visible difference in the camber on my front tires. Two things had to happen for this to work.

A) I removed the material stopping the arms from increased + camber
B) I had to bend part of the internal wheel well in order for the arms to clear

Many people may think removing the material on the arms is not a good idea or dangerous. If you dont feel comfortable with it then that is your business. Me being an engineer and studying the parts came to the conclusion that the small material removed does not affect the structural strength of the arms. In fact this is similar to the 350evo arms. (see pictures of their arms for comparison)

Also, there is a "key" screw hole (x2) that prevents the arms from infinite adjustments. They are only adjustable in .5 degree increments. My mod maintains these key holes to prevent the arms from sliding out indefinitely.

The part of the wheel well that was bent, is a flange that tabs down for the outer fender to match in inner body structure. (will have pics later) This was not a big deal to bend out of the way and the material could have conversely been cut from the a-arms.

We will be doing Jaysen's arms later with a full write up (if he decides to mod them)

[attachmentid=7772]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
What is our stock camber adjusted to or at?

How did you bend the part of the wheel well? And what was it made of?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock arms are not adjustable.. I do not have the spec for front camber with me, but will post those later.

The part that needed bent was some thin sheet metal. Nothing structural, and it is something that is not visible either. I actually used a hammer.. the left one only needed a few taps to clear, but the other one looked like it was already bent (maybe from when i hit the deer?)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Definitely good information to have. Post more pics of the modded arm and the wheel well when you have the chance. A pic of the cusco arm tanken apart would be good too.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]
+1

If you could post pics of your install and show what you did, I think some people (like me) need visual aid all the time.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smooth, I know :)

We will take pics when we do Jaysen's car in about a week.. I didnt have a camera when i did mine, sorry to keep you on edge..

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Way to be Josh!

I had to modifiy my Kinetix A-arms as well.

I had to add zirc fittings and notch the bushings so they can be greased, they were drying up and getting caked with dirt which led to squeaking. Secondly I had to put condoms over the heim joint to keep out dust and dirt. For reference, I think that the camber adjustments are +/- 1.5 degrees. So I didn't have to fiddle with that but I did have to get the upgraded heim joints (aka ball joint). Check it out.

Stock A-arm
[attachmentid=7786]

Modified A-arm with zirc fitting
[attachmentid=7787]

And finally, the Trojan Magnum being put to use, and even after 7 months it is still in one piece.
[attachmentid=7788]

Two mods from two Mods. Okay, one mod and one admin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Will this help with the feathering issue? If so, I might seriously look into doing this as a winter project. I know a guy here that can do it for me, since I don't want to mess with suspension work.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i cant comment on the feathering.. its too early to tell, and there still has never been confirmation on what actually causes the feathering.

I am getting new tires in a few weeks, and i drive alot, so a few months down the road i can give a more definite answer.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
well we have no pics of the install due to me forgetting to bring my camera :doh: however i will be going to install a new set of front tires and then getting her aligned. i'm kind of anxious to see what my specs turn out to be. the the real test will be waiting a few months to see what kind of wear i will have on my tires.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[/quote]

:bsflag:

at least in my opinion..

1st off, the picture of the Central 20 Arms is actually a picture of the stock arms.

2nd. I believe it impossible to get +3 degrees of positive camber. There is a little "pocket" in the wheel well where the A-Arms fit into when the suspension is compressed. The stock A-Arms just barely clear this pocket. To achieve a 1 degree positive camber adjustment, i actually had to bend, or make this pocket bigger by a few millimeters. By my estimates, to get +3 degrees adjustment, you would have to cut into the upper fenders by almost an inch, if not more..

Until we see actual pics of these so-call super A-Arms (which dont even exist on the central 20 website?) I will say that Bulletproof is offering false advertising on these.

·
Registered
80 Posts
[/quote]

at least in my opinion..

1st off, the picture of the Central 20 Arms is actually a picture of the stock arms.

2nd. I believe it impossible to get +3 degrees of positive camber. There is a little "pocket" in the wheel well where the A-Arms fit into when the suspension is compressed. The stock A-Arms just barely clear this pocket. To achieve a 1 degree positive camber adjustment, i actually had to bend, or make this pocket bigger by a few millimeters. By my estimates, to get +3 degrees adjustment, you would have to cut into the upper fenders by almost an inch, if not more..

Until we see actual pics of these so-call super A-Arms (which dont even exist on the central 20 website?) I will say that Bulletproof is offering false advertising on these.
<div align="right">[snapback]104610[/snapback]
[/quote]

And things don't change when you visit Central 20's Japneese web site. They show the same exact pic of the oem arms. We need a explanation of how one earth they adjust and a pic of the actual arms. I do NOT understand a retailer that doesn't have the werewithall to realize the picture they are using is a liability vs a asset.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Originally posted by Gsedan35+May 20 2005, 09:52 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 08:00 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-mdzowner
@May 18 2005, 07:26 AM
are these the same type of arms you guys were using? aside from manufacturer of course. they say thay adjust up to 3 degrees both ways. and for 330$?
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/catal...ail.php?ID=3616
mdzowner
[snapback]104599[/snapback]​

at least in my opinion..

[snapback]104610[/snapback]​

And things don't change when you visit Central 20's Japneese web site. They show the same exact pic of the oem arms. We need a explanation of how one earth they adjust and a pic of the actual arms. I do NOT understand a retailer that doesn't have the werewithall to realize the picture they are using is a liability vs a asset.
[snapback]105123[/snapback]​

Great write-up Josh. I realize that this is somewhat of an old topic. Just wanted to let everyone know that, while we sold these to Jaysen and Josh, we do not have them on our website. They are a great product, and we largely sell them to people that are on this forum, or would like an alternative to the high priced alternatives. Currently, they are out of stock, and on back order. We have secured another 5 from the next container from Japan. It is scheduled to arrive and be able to ship domestically by mid-July. Anybody that's interested in cost, please pm me. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
these are definitely worth the money, and with my mods to the arms, i can visually see the difference in tire wear.. I should have done this a long time ago..

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Originally posted by TOYKILLA@Jul 6 2005, 02:42 PM
these are definitely worth the money, and with my mods to the arms, i can visually see the difference in tire wear.. I should have done this a long time ago..
[snapback]127572[/snapback]​

+1 :werd:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts