Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Believe it or not, cross country trip is now a thing of the past with no problems at all during the long trek from NM to CT!!

Since I have been away from so long, this will be one of those all inclusive threads to catch everyone up in my adventures across this little country we call home. (tear) If you want to hear about kills at 140mph, dyno numbers and a little trip to NYC along with a resonating, erotic experience in a couple of tunnels, read on....

Okay, lets get to the good stuff...
First, I left the foriegn little country I call New Mexico and headed south to El Paso. Right of the bat as I was leaving the city, I noticed lunch. (read, kill victim) He was a nice and sparkling M3 just waiting to be raped. He was a few hundred yards in front of me doing about 90ish. I caught up to him and got right on his a$$ to see if wanted to play. With out a doubt, we found ourselves doing about 95-100 ish trying to clear traffic as we got farther and farther from the "other mile high city".
Finally, an opening, side by side and we punch at around 100mph....Now, the question, fifth or fourth, since we are on a long desert highway I knew I could just drop her in fifth, floor it, take a nap, and she would soon be eaten up without a problem. That was the case as I pulled away from this M3 like he was standing still. I soon found myself at 140mph :eek: So, being that I still had 2300miles on this little adventure, I backed off to around 120, lol, you thought I was going to say the speed limit didn't you. :)
Anyway, this cat and mouse game went on and on and on...same result everytime. Its like that crazy neighbor we have all had at some day that beats a dog, but yet the dog keeps coming back for more....Either way, we were both having fun and there's no better cure than to have long desert miles pass then to do a few high speed passes.
Eventually, we reached a point where he would take the lead about 200 yards in front of me, doing about 105 and then I would take the lead doing the same speed. This way, we shared the risk of getting a ticket at those speeds. Very cool guy who gave me a couple of thumbs up after high speed runs.

Got to El Paso, and left the next day on Saturday morning. 40 miles out of El Paso I got pulled over doing 94 in a 75. But, I got lucky the guy was a former military guy and just gave me a warning. Hehe, a little fringe benefit of the military service. Headed to Dallas, Little Rock, then east, and eventually north through Missouri and into Chicago. It took me about 1.5 days to get from El paso to Chicago.

DYNO NUMBERS
Once I got to Chicago, I went to CJ Motorsports and did a retune for sealevel.
Here's a great comparison from high altitude to sea level and the great arguement about over corrections.

Okay, these were my numbers at high altitude at 17psi in Albuquerque
Corrected SAE, 564rwhp
Uncorrected, 485rwhp

At the same conditions in Chicago which is only 600feet above sea level, I got at 17psi...

521rwhp

So, under the same conditions, it can be said that the dynos at high altitude do in fact over correct, but the actuall numbers are more than the uncorrected figures.

Of course, I couldn't just stay at a measely 521rwhp, so I upped the boost to 20psi and now my new numbers are....(drum roll...audience nipples pucked...)

569rwhp, and torque around 551ft-lbs (I have to double check my torque numbers, but for some reason its easy for me to remember 5 "69". :tongue:
So,
High boost, 20psi, 569rwhp
low boost, 15psi, ~505rwhp
Boost controller off, 11psi, ~450ish.
Okay, headed out of chicago on Monday evening and headed east, "Go East young man".

Then, I hit the I-80 toll road in Indiana with a speed limit of 65!!!! How do people get around at those speeds?????? Legally???

Okay, to be continued in my next post.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, sorry for the rude interruption, where was I??

Oh yeah, WTF, 65 ON A HIGHWAY I PAID TO GET ON??!!!
Now, you see where this bitching is leading right? You guessed it, second time getting pulled over?? Sh1t, does my car attract attention or is it the Mach speeds I travel at?? Hehe, both!! Anyway, got pulled over around mile marker 70ish, by you guessed it got hit with a laser again. So, the figures this time was 91 in a 65. Luckily for me, thats the fastest I can set my cruise control on. So, I get pulled over, and this guy is being a total Royal A$$$.
My windows are down, and he comes over and says..."STATE POLICE"
And Im thinking "NO SH1T!!" Anyway, he then asks me "What were you doing going 91mph on my highway???!!!" Then I say, "DOWNSHIFTING"...no, I didn't really say that but **** I wanted to. Anyway, yadda, yadda, yadda, the only break I get here is a reduction to 85 in a 65mph. I called yesterday and it will cost me 108.50. Not too bad, but free is always better. Continue to head east and more east, then east some more. Finally, I am in NJ. Once you enter Nj from I-80 heading east, thats some gorgeous country and lots of twisties on the road. Funny, there was this maniac driver going about 100mph in this once again...65mph??!! highway. So, I followed him about 150yards behind him and sure enough, he got snagged by a cop who was pulled over on the side.

Headed into NY and across the GW Bridge eventually in to CT. Once I got into CT, guess what I saw?! A brand spanking new Maserati! I will admit, when the guy first came on the road I had no idea what kind of car it was. But, I took a peak and read...Maserati. Now for my next confession, I had no idea what kind of numbers he is putting down but what the heck. But, the problem here is that traffic was way too heavy.
Someday, buddy!!!

So, I make it to Groton, CT w/o a scratch!!! I will admit it, it was a gamble and I got lucky. Can you imagine being in the middle of nowhere and getting a flat? Oh yeah, I am sure the local gas station keeps 285/35r19 in stock right?

So I left Chicago on Monday evening and arrived in CT Wednesday morning sometime. Of course, I stopped to sleep somewhere in Penn state.
The following Saturday, I plan on meeting Wayne and Fritz from Nonstopmotorsports on long island. So, thanks to Paul's info (aka All Yankees, thanks again for dinner last Friday, great steaks!!) I take a ferry from New London to Long Island. Not too bad, great trip and the ferry even had a bar. Its too bad that it was only like 11am though. So, spent a great day with Wayne and Fritz. So, since it got too late to take a ferry, I just decided to take the highways back to CT. Yeah, more and more miles on my Z. Thats what a Z is for, to be driven!!! I head west on 495 on missed my turn up to the north somewhere. Next thing I know I am in going through the midtown tunnel.....Ectasy....nothing like hearing your Z in a tunnel.....I just wet myself...I spilled my drink, lol. Proceed to drive around Manhatten a little and actually saw TWO modded Zs parked right on the street!!! They were on 37th street, could it be NY PILOT?? Maybe?? I know, NYC is huge but I wonder if they're on the forums. Anyway, somehow stumbled acrross the lincoln tunnel...ahhhh...ecatasy again from hearing my exhaust in the tunnel AND my bov at 20psi!!! Found my way up the TP, or for you Westerners, thats Turn Pike, Yeah once again I had to PAY!!! Whats up with all the **** tolls anyway??!! Headed back in to the sleepy little town of Groton.

Once again, mission completed!!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Great story! Can't wait for my trip to Zdayz! Why on Earth did you go south through El Paso to go north to Chicago? :dunno: Just a wee bit curious... :wink:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/quote]

To visit my folks, that all. I originally was going to head straight north but then it was actually snowing in Denver!!!

Aaaahhhhh, the NE again. Been here before, still looking for some good street races but w/o getting caught. I have no idea where to look??

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/quote]

Maybe, I have another photoshoot with a mag in July and I would like to have an upgraded sound sys.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]

To visit my folks, that all. I originally was going to head straight north but then it was actually snowing in Denver!!!

Aaaahhhhh, the NE again. Been here before, still looking for some good street races but w/o getting caught. I have no idea where to look??
<div align="right">[snapback]101805[/snapback]
[/quote]
I used to go to school in Las Cruces (NMSU), so I know that area well. Me and the missus were just discussing moving to Santa Teresa for work. I just don't like border towns, and Juarez is pretty rough.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Whoooooo HOOOOOOOO Glad to read all your adventures! You shoulda come thru Da Burgh!!!

Tolls suck.

Tunnels rule....to get anywhere in this city of Pittsburgh you have to go thru one of like 7 tunnels, and I am sure that my Z sounds NADA like yours, but it truely is awesome to go thru w/ windows down and radio off just to listen to the rumble! :clap:

Keep the stories coming!!!!

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Congrats on the Trip with ONLY 2 pull overs!! I'm sure if you'ld have said what you wanted to the the IN State trooper you keaster would be in the clink - those guys have NO sence of humor :headshake: (Poor bastids)

Can't wait to hear your first NE kill story - should be a hoot :lmfao: :rolf2: :lmfao: :rolf2:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
There's a guy in a Maserati Coupe that drives around my building at work. I see him on my way to/from work every now and then, but he never wants to play. I'm sure he'd kill me since I'm almost stock, but it'd be fun.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the styling of it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[/quote]

Hey Buff, I didn't forget about you. I just happen to pass Ohio around midnight and figured it would be too late to call you. Anyway, I was a little behind since I left West Chicago so late!!!

Maybe Z dayz??!!

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
[/quote]

Hey Buff, I didn't forget about you. I just happen to pass Ohio around midnight and figured it would be too late to call you. Anyway, I was a little behind since I left West Chicago so late!!!

Maybe Z dayz??!!
<div align="right">[snapback]102659[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll be there - are you coming? figured that you would be WAY to busy otherwise I would have suggested it :werd: How long are you going to be stationed in the FL/GA area? Maybe we can run around with Kenny sometime next year :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[/quote]

Yeah that tunnel experience was ALMOST as good as sex, hehe. :rolf2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. Poor M3, he must of felt shitty not knowing what you were working with. I hate tolls. Passed one outside of Baltimore the other night on 695 after getting lost leaving the strip club. I didn't have any money so they said I'd get a bill in the mail. Funny thing was, the camera was pointed at my front plate, which I don't have! I had to turn around and go through the toll again on the other side and it snapped pics again. I still haven't seen any tickets...Haha. No front plate= free toll! :lmfao:

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
All I know is you were like 2 blocks away from my apartment and didn't even say hi. *hmph* (Then again, I think Art is every day.) And you're a brave man to have your windows down in the Lincoln Tunnel

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[/quote]

Haha, Hey man, I am always up for an adventure anytime, anywhere....again!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/quote]

Go to Car Club in Spring Valley in Rockland County on Sunday and Wednesday nights. It's off of I-87/287, exit 14A (Spring Valley), brings you to route 59. Then just go up and down that long street and look for Dunkin' Donuts and go in that parking lot.

Place gets crowded from 10pm on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts