Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I lay the crazy idea out, I want to ask a question...

How does the Tire Pressure Sensor connect to the wheel/tire? I know from the writeup on this site about how to mod the sensor to fit aftermarket wheels shows the sensor (magically) attached to the metal band. Does the sensor connect to the valve stem in any way? What does the threaded piece on the end of the sensor connect to?

Basically, I need to know how the sensor physically interacts with the wheel and tire aside from the band mount.

Thx in advance!

-Smoky

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting.. I'd be interested to know where he got that bracket.

So the thread was informative, but it didn't quite get to what I needed. He used that hole as a convenience..a "modded" way to mount the TPS onto the wheel.

But can the TPS be mounted anywhere inside the wheel? Does it have to be in a certain orientation to this hole? Or to the valve stem? Does anything connect to the TPS sensor?

Thx!
-Smoky

·
Registered
286 Posts
Whatever happend to the practice of using a tire pressure guage every few weeks?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The TPS will fit the TE37 just as they did the OEM wheel.

Be careful when switching over the TPS that you don't stress them upon reinstallation.

K..just so the thread topic is maintained.... this is NOT a thread about "how to get the TPS onto the aftermarket wheel". I don't care about that. I don't want to do that. I do appreciate the tip, but this site offers a great DIY procedure for adapting the sensor.

What I need to know is "how does the TPS sensor interact with the wheel" and "how does the TPS sensor have to be mounted in relation to anything else on the wheel"?

In a nutshell, this is my idea: I don't want TPS. But I want to fool the car so it doesn't give me warnings. Yes, I know it is only a light and a buzzer and a reset button to end the issue... but that is a light, buzzer, and button too much for me.

So, I'm thinking...what if I mount all four onto the spare? Mounted at 90 deg angles to each other around the rim, they should be able to be independently programmed. So I just need to know how much it matters where each one is mounted inside the wheel, and if there is anything attached to them.

If they are just band-mounted to the rim, independent of location along the circumference, and not physically connected to a valve stem or anything then it should work. If it does then we have an alternative to being forced to adapt TPS sensors to aftermarket wheels AND the added bonus of monitoring the spare's pressure in case of emergency.

So, that's where I'm going with all this. All I need to know is how the TPS sensors work inside the wheel, and how they connect.

Thx
-Smoky

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatever happend to the practice of using a tire pressure guage every few weeks?
EXACTLY And that is how I prefer to do it. But I don't want it to be at the expense of idiot lights going off in my face every time I drive (I drive long distances).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts