Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, need some advice, not long bought a gt4 non runner, found that the crankshaft pulley has fractured and threw out the woodruff key into space! My question is that I have got new genuine timing chain kit, fitted the woodruff key into the crankshaft, pushed the new sprocket over the key to the back of the crankshaft, but there's only about 5-6mm of the keyway in the sprocket, is there a spacer or washer that goes behind sprocket? The key also has to drive the front pulley also, it is a small key to drive everything I think, bad design /engineering if that's how it is given the timing chain issues these have, your comments and advice would be appreciated, thank you 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, yes it is the 2005 Ltd edition gt4, with the vq35de rev up engine, bought this with the engine not running, sold as having a timing chain jumped issue

Registered
Sorry, there was no Z33 "limited edition GT4" in North America. It could be just a decal job on a dealer car to raise sales. And despite all that, I wonder if it's worth trying to replace the crankshaft pulley/woodruff key if the timing chain has jumped. The VQ engine series is precision-made and that kind of failure is a symptom, not a cause! That revup may need to be rebuilt, not stuffed back together with a hope and a prayer.

How many miles on the odo?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, but in the UK there were 176 Ltd edition z33 350z' to celebrate the 35 years of the Z range, each was presented with a Play station 4 gaming consul , 100 in black and 76 in 'ultra yellow, we all learn something new every day!

Registered
OK- so it's a UK-spec car, which makes sense. I still question why you think the VQ engine series has had "timing chain issues"? Timing chains have generally been dead reliable and problems like your Z has are usually preceded by other, more significant mechanical failures. Sometimes, these can be captured in ECM memory. Do you have a good code reader to access the diagnostic system?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts