Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what are your thoughts about using this MOD. might look into buying the crank pulley, if it is worth it

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Great mod for the buck!!!You will notice the engine clime up the rpm band a bit faster!!!I had it and really noticed the difference when I took it off to do the SC..I was driving the car around for a week without any mods..ICK!! But just get the crank pulley the other two are useless and do not order it with the belts they sugges, they are too long...Go 1/2 " smaller than the part numbers they supply...Trust me on this one..

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I added the UR pulley and the RT cats at the same time. With the pulley I could definately notice a difference in the engine revving faster and would highly recommend this mod too. For such a low cost it is definately worth it.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I have the UR pulleys, but can't tell you excactly the gain from them, as I added a lot of my mods at the same time. Anytime you reduce rotational mass, you are freeing up hp.

For a real hoot, try the Tilton 8 lb. flywheel (but be prepared for very difficult launches from a dead stop).

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Originally posted by Richard 350z@Apr 10 2004, 08:36 PM
I have the UR pulleys, but can't tell you excactly the gain from them, as I added a lot of my mods at the same time.  Anytime you reduce rotational mass, you are freeing up hp.

For a real hoot, try the Tilton 8 lb. flywheel (but be prepared for very difficult launches from a dead stop).

I am looking to get the JWT flywheel on mine. The Tilton may be a little extreme for me because I do too much everyday driving with it. Jason from Performance Nissan put up a vid of it with the Tilton clutch on the "other" website. **** thing was like a crotch rocket revving with how fast the tach went up and down.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Curious if there was any noticeable change in voltage output or differneces in the way the car idled or ran(other than the pros)? Any cons to this mod? Currently I'm running around 14 volts but wasn't sure if installing the pulley would effect cranking or overall voltage output.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
No difference in voltage output on mine. I am running around 15 or so volts after I put mine on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is the stock Z crank pulley also a vibration dampner? If so there can be long-term negatives by replacing it with a non-dampning, lightweight pulley. If it is not dampened, then the reduction in rotating mass will make the engine more responsive. The engine will not produce one more horsepower at the crank, but it will allow everything in the drive line to accelerate faster. This means the car goes faster.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Originally posted by Daking350Z@Jul 3 2004, 06:33 AM
same with mine when I had it..You wont believe how much lighter than stock it is!!

haha , I was shocked how heavy stock crank pulley felt ...
get it , its worth it + very easy install..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is there a noticeable difference in the power steering at low idle?
not sure if pulley will effect the 'power-steering' but it was a great mod for me.
I think it'll be even more of a formidable mod if you upped the rev limiter.

N

·
0 Posts
Lightweight Crank Pulley + Lightweight Flywheel recipe for crankshaft failure?

·
Registered
60 Posts
+10 RWHP and +7 RWTQ on a Dynojet SAE corrected dyno after UR crank pulley install.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As far as getting a 1/2" shorter belt, do you use the part number that stillen uses on the website for the UR belt? Just wondering if that's a universal part no. for the belt or not.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is the stock Z crank pulley also a vibration dampner? If so there can be long-term negatives by replacing it with a non-dampning, lightweight pulley. If it is not dampened, then the reduction in rotating mass will make the engine more responsive. The engine will not produce one more horsepower at the crank, but it will allow everything in the drive line to accelerate faster. This means the car goes faster. :)
So what exactly are some long term negative effects? And would these be more useful on an 06 with the 500rpm rev limit?

How easy of an install? Only really dipped into the bolt-ons on my cars; headers, intake, exhaust, a couple intake manifolds, and the occasional alternator or twelve on the '78 el camino.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is the stock Z crank pulley also a vibration dampner? If so there can be long-term negatives by replacing it with a non-dampning, lightweight pulley. If it is not dampened, then the reduction in rotating mass will make the engine more responsive. The engine will not produce one more horsepower at the crank, but it will allow everything in the drive line to accelerate faster. This means the car goes faster. :)
Harmonic Dampner is what you are refering to. This is used by older domestics, but most of imports use rubber rings and a lot don't have one at all, like our 350z. Therefore, after market crank pulley will not harm your engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts