Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Crank Angle Sensor Wiring

9K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  aps 
#1 ·
Originally posted by GQ626 at the "other" forum:

OK, I think the cat is out of the bag on this crank angle sensor wire issue. APS has posted a detailed schematic on their website, so I feel this should be read by anyone that is running F/I on their motor. Especially those are building some very expensive forged motors.

There is some speculation, and apparently some testing by APS has confirmed this as well....that there is some kind of interference or anamoly with our crank angle sensor wire. Essentially, there is some noise in the signal that goes to the ECU, and under certain circumstances, this can generate a false or muddy crank angle input to the ECU. Obvisouly, if this happens, there is a chance that the coils may fire before the pistons are at TDC, and could contribute to detonation/preignition. Peter has also described this as "scattered ignition timing". It is something that occurs only under certain conditions, and only on certain cars. Some cars exhibit no anomolies...others do.

But APS felt it was important enough to include a new shielded crank angle sensor wire in their kit. You can see this on their website.

So...just to be safe, it would be HIGHLY ADVISIBLE for everyone with the Greddy and PE kits to immediately swap their unshielded crank angle sensor wire with a new shield wire. I would hate to see these new forged motors start blowing up due to this potential problem.

I was also thinking that some diodes on the line would also be helpful...what do the electrical experts think?
Most of us knew about this well before the announcement, but agreed to keep it privileged information out of respect for APS. I'm not sure what brought it out at this particular time, but nevertheless, its info that all TT (except APS) owners need and should address.

As suggested, many other TT owners are looking to replace the existing wire with a shielded cable and reroute it, similar to APS.

Peter,

Does APS plan to sell the components for this modification?

G

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Mother! Well, hopefully someone (hopefully APS) will be able to sell us a "fix" for our rolling time bombs :lol:

G

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Fellas, let's just face it. Its a catch 22 for APS. As with all business, you need to protect your company's assets and get a return on them. If APS had gone to market and told everyone to merely change this and reroute that, what would they have received in return? Some people might say that we would have bought the parts from them, but let's face it. This industry is cut throat and its not APS' fault that other manufacturers didn't find the same problems. They didn't get to where they are now by offering privileged R&D info to their competitors.

Peter has alluded to many of the flaws in our platform and all the APS dealers knew of this unshielded cable. Where were they? If its such a simple fix, why didn't our tuners merely procure the parts and install it? Simple: its not a perfect world and someone has to pay the bills. APS now needs to decide how they will cope with the situation. They can either sell components of their kit or keep it all bundled. Although I would love to get a hold of their fuel solution, it won't surprise me to see them staying the path. Its management's call . . . and if its business as usual, the answer lies in $. That's how business is run. Do I agree with it since I'm on the other side of the fence? Not necessarily, but I too am in an industry full of trade secrets and I understand the value of R&D since my company spends two times more than all our competitors combined.

Think back when we were in school. If by the grace of god you actually studied night and day for a test, only to have a person try to copy your work, would that be fair? And would you divulge all you knew?

G

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by aps@Dec 31 2004, 08:14 AM
Now to finish on a more positive note APS wil release a new engine management product in 05 :surprise: which will be sold as a stand alone product, though please keep this a secret other wise I will be in serious trouble with management at APS. :banned: 

Thanks

Peter

Very interested . . . will it address some of the issues we're finding with other FI kits :thumbsup: Like several other members, we went FI well before the APS kit was released and simply can't afford to undo the system. If money were not an issue, I would have tore off my Greddy kit and installed an APS since the cost difference really is nil compared to receiving a complete fuel & timing solution . . .

G

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Any help will be appreciated . . . although I don't own an APS TT kit, I know me, along with several other long-standing members with Greddy kits, continue to push your TT for its quality and cost effectiveness. Thanks in advance!

Gary

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I agree 100% and I knew of the issue months ago . . . All it did was make me a little more nervous about my Greddy kit *LOL* and pray that APS revealed the fix to the guys that it could benefit the most. I only have great things to say about Peter and APS . . . definitely no ill feelings due to their R & D efforts ;)

G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.