Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a set of Nismo wheels for my Z but I have gotten conflicting evidence as to the correct tire sizes to use. I realize that these are probably both OK to use but i want to know which is best and why.

245/40-18 & 275/40/18

or

225/45/18 & 245/45/18

I have already ordered the larger sizes as it is recommended by Nismo supposedly. Someone shed some light here if you can. Obviously the smaller sizes are cheaper to purchase, maybe this is the only reason (?).

·
Registered
406 Posts
When you receive your Nismo wheels, there will be a factory printed sheet included inside each box. On that sheet you will read the following recommended tire sizes.

245/40/18 [front] - 275/40/18 [rear]

:shiftdrive:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[/quote]

Thanks. That is what I was told by the dealer that I purchased them from.

Does anyone know why these would also be "recommended" to mount 225/45 & 245/45 instead, other than beeing cheap?

·
Registered
87 Posts
[/quote]

Thanks. That is what I was told by the dealer that I purchased them from.

Does anyone know why these would also be "recommended" to mount 225/45 & 245/45 instead, other than beeing cheap?
<div align="right">[snapback]73984[/snapback]
[/quote]

Where did you see that they were a "recommended" size? Those are the stock sizes and would defeat the purpose of having wider wheels such as the Nismos.

What tires (brand) did you end up getting?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I saw someone posting their Track wheels for sale with the 225's listed. I thought :wtf: That's the size for the 18" OEM wheel which are 8" wide.

From one site:
Use only the recommended tire size, P245/40R18 (18 x 8.5 wheel) or P275/40R18 (18 x 9.5 wheel).
From another site:
Front: 18" x 8.5" (+25 Offset), Rear: 18" x 9.5" (+30 Offset)

Lowers unsprung weight to improve acceleration and suspension response.

Compatible with OE tire pressure monitor system.

Center cap, metal valve stem lug nuts, and 17mm lug adapter included.

Recomended tire size is 245/40/18 Front & 275/40/18 Rear.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/quote]

I ended getting BF Goodrich g-Force TA KDW in the correct sizes (245/40/18 & 275/40/18). As for the smaller setup, I was told by a dealer that either could be fitted. I said, "fitted , yes, but not correct". I also mentioned the fact that he was recomending the stock sizes be mounted on the larger Nismo rims.

I guess enough said, but now I feel better. I thought I was right. Thanks all.

I can't wait to get my rims and tires.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[/quote]

They get mounted tomorrow. I will let you all know how they work out.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has been confirmed. According to the sheet that came with the rims, and I quote:

"Use only the recommended tire size, P245/40R18 (18 X 8.5 wheel) or P275/40R18 (18 X 9.5 wheel)."

Now to get them mounted and rolling. Wow they look good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BluZee, did you notice any speedo error after going with the Nismo rims? I went from the stock 17's to the Nismo's. I know all about how thw outer diameter should not change, just the sidewall, when you go with bigger wheels. I just wanted to know if you noticed any difference or if anyone else knows of this being a problem.

And might I add, these rims look HUGE. I can't wait to get them on. You guys with 19's and 20's must have crapped your shorts when they came in. Yikes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
225/45/18 rim width range is 7" to 8.5" with 7.5" being the recommend width.
245/45/18 rim width range is 7.5" to 9.0" with 8" being the recommend width.

245/40/18 rim width range is 8" to 9.5" with 8.5" being the recommend width.
275/40/18 rim width range is 9" to11" with 9.5" being the recommend width.

The above is the tire manufacturers data.

As you can see, the stock sizes would be stretched on the Nismos, that are 8.5" front and 9.5" rear.

I have Dunlop SP9000s on mine, which IMO, is a great tire.

No Speedometer error when the above proper tire sizes are used.

Lou

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
[/quote]

Nope, no speedo error.

They do look huge dont they? When you look at them from a distance they look bigger than 18".

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok guys. THey are on and I LOVE THEM!!!

They do look huge and really enhance the looks of the Z. I am amazed at how much better the car looks and how much more agressive it seems. And it drives like a dream, much more solid. the tires seem to be working out great so far (only 300 miles so far). they seem to stick like glue, very confidence inspiring. So far I can definately recommend T/A KDW tires - more on that as they get more miles on them I guess.

I will post pics once I get them resized. I am really pleased with the new rims/tires and highly recommend them. The difference between them and the stock wheels/tires is night and day both in looks and driveability. WOW!!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts