Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new Z owner here I have an 04 touring model roadster. When I try to put my top down the windows go down and then nothing happens. I have the e brake on and hold my foot on the brake. There doesn't seem to be much info I can find on the forums for top issues outside of replacing the elastic bands that provide tension to the bar on the way down.
I'm hoping it's just a fuse or something like that but I can't seem to find good information on where the power relay for the top is or where fuses that would provide power to the top are. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Welcome and sorry this has to be your first post. The ZR has a complex mechanism that operates the top. The seats roll forward, the windows drop slightly and all the motors work in conjunction to fold the top. While I have a ZR that I've used for parts for my Z racecar, I'm no expert on troubleshooting it. Have you looked at the FSM for details on the top?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome and sorry this has to be your first post. The ZR has a complex mechanism that operates the top. The seats roll forward, the windows drop slightly and all the motors work in conjunction to fold the top. While I have a ZR that I've used for parts for my Z racecar, I'm no expert on troubleshooting it. Have you looked at the FSM for details on the top?
I'm looking through the fuse diagrams and none of them say anything about the convertible top. I thought it may be one of the power relays being out or a bad fuse but don't know which to change

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is virtually nothing in the fsm about working on the convertible top. Only how to manually close it and operate it. If something is wrong it just says go to a Nissan dealer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi new Z owner here I have an 04 touring model roadster. When I try to put my top down the windows go down and then nothing happens. I have the e brake on and hold my foot on the brake. There doesn't seem to be much info I can find on the forums for top issues outside of replacing the elastic bands that provide tension to the bar on the way down.
I'm hoping it's just a fuse or something like that but I can't seem to find good information on where the power relay for the top is or where fuses that would provide power to the top are. Anyone have any ideas?

I have the same exact year/model car and had a similar problem. With mine the process would start and the tonneau cover panel would start to raise up and then it would stop. I had to push the button a few times to get it to work. After some research on Youtube I found that there is a switch on the break pedal called a Stop Light switch (Standard Motor Products SLS244 Stop Light Switch, $20 on Amazon) that controls the top so I replaced this and it works perfect now. It's pretty easy to replace but it took me a couple of tries to install the switch correctly (you'll know because your brake lights wont go off and it actually feel like the clutch is slipping when you drive).
I hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts

the fifth motor is probably broken. Make sure your Oem seats are connected because they have a module won’t work with out the seats plugged in .The fifth motor is located on top of the what would be that back seat where the brake light is located there is a plastic cover under that there is a motor remove it go on eBay and look for people that repair them and send it out as I did mine and works great. I also changed the straps also you can buy on eBay. Good luck straps are located above your head when in the car both sides these straps when they lose elasticity they become obviously stretched and can’t close, which is also helps break the fifth motor replace straps and fix or replace fifth motor for your convertible top.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mechanic took a look at it and best he could do was get the part of the top with the rear window to go up to start the process and then it stopped there. They made these tops way too complicated imo. He thinks it's the ECU for the top that is the issue but no telling yet. I'll update as I go along until it's working

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
This past month has seen quite a few threads on ZR top failures. That mechanism is quite complex and any failures along the way to opening or closing the top will prevent the sequence from being completed. Wish you luck in your quest to fix yours and let us know what you discover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the fifth motor is probably broken. Make sure your Oem seats are connected because they have a module won’t work with out the seats plugged in .The fifth motor is located on top of the what would be that back seat where the brake light is located there is a plastic cover under that there is a motor remove it go on eBay and look for people that repair them and send it out as I did mine and works great. I also changed the straps also you can buy on eBay. Good luck straps are located above your head when in the car both sides these straps when they lose elasticity they become obviously stretched and can’t close, which is also helps break the fifth motor replace straps and fix or replace fifth motor for your convertible top.
My mechanic took a look at it and best he could do was get the part of the top with the rear window to go up to start the process and then it stopped there. They made these tops way too complicated imo. He thinks it's the ECU for the top that is the issue but no telling yet. I'll update as I go along until it's working

I had a Nissan dealership do a diagnostic and they wanted to replace the ecu as well as the motors like 7 k. I removed the fifth mortar and changed the straps and it started to work now I also replaced the brake switch but that was part of maintenance but the it also worked with the original brake switch. I would be careful letting a mechanic rack up hours digging for the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I had a Nissan dealership do a diagnostic and they wanted to replace the ecu as well as the motors like 7 k. I removed the fifth mortar and changed the straps and it started to work now I also replaced the brake switch but that was part of maintenance but the it also worked with the original brake switch. I would be careful letting a mechanic rack up hours digging for the problem.
apparently he already diagnosed that the 5th bow motor was in fact working properly, just ordered the ECU so

·
Registered
3 Posts
The service manual has directions for how to manually close the soft top not open it. Just says go to a Nissan dealer

Service manual or owner's manual?

One has to believe that the factory service manual, intended for dealers and others, doesn't have a full diagnostic and repair section for this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Service manual or owner's manual?

One has to believe that the factory service manual, intended for dealers and others, doesn't have a full diagnostic and repair section for this.
first make sure ignition is on foot on brake pedal than press open sw seat and windows operate than tonneau cover should open and top should go down and tonneau cover should close and seats should return . this is normal operation if not check brake sw first adjustment and rubber button on brake

·
Registered
10 Posts
first make sure ignition is on foot on brake pedal than press open sw seat and windows operate than tonneau cover should open and top should go down and tonneau cover should close and seats should return . this is normal operation if not check brake sw first adjustment and rubber button on brake
also this part could be bad cont unit folding roof 285c1-ce40-0mounted on back wall where top goes down ;.my top would stop in open position i changed that working 4 2years

·
Registered
6 Posts

The best I can help right now is, DON’T take it to a dealer. My top (2004) will go down with know problem but would have to hit the button for or 5 times to get it open, no problem closing it. The dealer charged me $160 bucks and said you need new bands, of course that’s to close it. Then they went on about we can do it for $800 bucks. if you go on you tube you can see instructions and part# for bands, $20. 10 mins to replace. Now if it’s not the bands could be one of the two motors in the trunk. Remove cardboard covers in back, pretty simple, you will find motor on each side, have someone try to lower top while you watch and listen to motors. Should be able to see each turn or hum. Believe you’ll have to take motors loose to see. Mine were ok but still not go up. Then go on line and put z350 top motor repair in Kissimmee Florida. He repairer’s the motors for like 60 or 70 bucks. You can look up his web sight and get his phone number. Good Guy . Aleast it’s some where to start. Dealer told me oh by the way we can order the bands, you need news brakes, lower tie rod ends, all fluids changed, it will be $6100.00 bucks. Didn’t take me long to exit and they hated their Survey! LOL so 160 bucks wasted and they don’t know crap. Hope this will help some.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts