Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm concidering purchasing either a base or enthusiast coupe and have a couple questions. Im planning on eventually going forced induction, looking to get in to the 400-450 whp range but keep it streetable.

First, is it worth going with the enthusiast for the viscous fluid LSD or would i be better off putting an aftermarket LSD on?

Second, im aware of the tire feathering issue, are there any other common issues with the z ?

Third is a transmission question im trying to decide between the 5 AT and the manual, i can drive stick but not overly well. Other than the whole stick being cooler thing is there a real benifit to going with the 6 speed ? Is the lower weight noticable?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Hey, I'm concidering purchasing either a base or enthusiast coupe and have a couple questions. Im planning on eventually going forced induction, looking to get in to the 400-450 whp range but keep it streetable.

First, is it worth going with the enthusiast for the viscous fluid LSD or would i be better off putting an aftermarket LSD on?

Second, im aware of the tire feathering issue, are there any other common issues with the z ?

Third is a transmission question im trying to decide between the 5 AT and the manual, i can drive stick but not overly well. Other than the whole stick being cooler thing is there a real benifit to going with the 6 speed ? Is the lower weight noticable?
Thanks
1. Get the Enthusiast. I don't know if there is an aftermarket LSD for the Z.

2. Window motors on the 03's are faulty, but that's the most common thing I can think of. Like any other car, they all have issues.

3. All up to you. I know some ppl with FI and auto trannies. I prefer manual, always have.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if there is an aftermarket LSD for the Z
There is a nismo r tune clutch type limeted slip diff for the 350z and I think theres atleast a couple other manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Depending on what you are going to do with the car, if tracking is in your future then get a base and put in an aftermarket LSD the stock sucks. Quaife, Kazz.....

The 5AT is plenty quick and will do fine and the Quaife LSD is small enough to fit in the 5AT rear end.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts

Thanks

Aftermarket is available. I'd go with the nismo (which is the Cusco RS I believe). But there is also HID with enthusiast and traction control.. I don't care much for TCS.. but the HID is nice.

Get the manual trans and learn with it. You'll come to enjoy it. You can learn just fine, and IMO there is more control.. I wouldn't get an auto unless it was a truck maybe.

:welcome:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The Enthusiast has CRUISE CONTROL.

Nuff said? :irock:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
BUY IT. BUY IT. FOR GOD'S SAKE, BUY IT!!!!

(sorry, I get emotional about the Z - I'll take a med and go to sleep) :irock:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think the base model is the way to go if you want to fully modify your car. The Vscous LSD on the stock Z is good but not good enough if you really want to tear up the tracks. It's also a little bit lighter than all the other models. You'll have to sacrifice your cruise control though. I live in the city so I don't need it. Even if I do go far I don't feel the need for one. HID are something you might want though.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Weigh your options between the base and the enthusiast. If you plan on doing an LSD swap, you can save some money by going with the base model. I got the enthusiast because I like the HID's, wasn't planning on immediately changing out the LSD, and I like the rearview mirror. Just weigh your options against the prices and go shopping :cheers:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BUY IT. BUY IT. FOR GOD'S SAKE, BUY IT!!!!

(sorry, I get emotional about the Z - I'll take a med and go to sleep) :irock:

Yea def gonna be getting one. I havent been able to find car better than the z that isnt double the price. Unfortunatly I;ll be waiting a while before i actually buy mine Im joining the army (papers signed waiting to ship out to basic) and planning on using my signing bonus for the down payment.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Go with the Z if you want the looks. If you want power, go with the STI or the EVO. They will blow the doors off the Z anytime of the week. The Z doesn't grip better nor is it faster, it just looks better. If you like handling, the RX-8 will be even better, it also drives better. As far as looks, the Z wins hands down.

Just be aware, if anything breaks or comes close to breaking, Nissan will tell you "oh it's a sports car, deal with it". Unless you really like the Z, don't buy it. Only buy it if you are really in love with it, else you will regret it

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Go with the Z if you want the looks. If you want power, go with the STI or the EVO. They will blow the doors off the Z anytime of the week. The Z doesn't grip better nor is it faster, it just looks better. If you like handling, the RX-8 will be even better, it also drives better. As far as looks, the Z wins hands down.

Just be aware, if anything breaks or comes close to breaking, Nissan will tell you "oh it's a sports car, deal with it". Unless you really like the Z, don't buy it. Only buy it if you are really in love with it, else you will regret it

here we go again....

The Z handles much better than either of those two sedans, IMHO.

The RX8 drives better?? what RX8 have you been driving?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.