Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am confused as to what to do (i'm just planning right now though). I've talked to Peter through pm's and he told me that my goal was easily reachable with the APS TT kit and APS tallboy plenum (along with some internal mods that I told him I planned about). So, right now I am open to any turbo kit as long as it will reach my goals. My goals are in my signature but just in case someone doesn't have sig.'s enabled:
450 - 550 rwhp and 450 - 550rwtq for daily driving.
Have a setting on whatever module I use to turn the psi up on the turbo system to run 650rwhp and 650rwtq for worthy runs/drag track.

Those numbers are general, there is a 30 hp range down and up for each number (i.e. 450 can be 420 or 480). So what would someone suggest for me to reach these goals? I know some turbo kits require different exhaust parts (the Turbonetics piping is weird, so i'm not sure how it would sound). I'm open to any fuel/ecu management (Motec, HKS, Greddy). I was going to get Z1 Motorsports to do the install and tuning, this depends on which turbo kit and fuel/ecu management though.

Planned internal parts:
Crower rods
JE (would have to be custom)/SGP Racing/Arias/XT pistons (really doesn't matter I guess)
Darton M.I.D. Sleeve Kit
Ferrea valves, valve springs, valve retainers (considering SGP Racing titanium valve retainers, sgp racing valves, and jwt valve springs if they are cheaper than the custom Ferrea, or if the Ferrea's aren't worth it, or maybe JUN if they come out before I get valvetrain stuff)
Tomei 264 Camshafts
SGP Racing/ARP head and main studs

Tranny:
Exedy Twin-Disc Clutch and Flywheel
considering ATS though.
B&M Racing or Topspeed short shifter
considering changing gearing, maybe lower, maybe higher

Other:
Nismo Low-Temp. Thermostat
Blitz Radiator
New Plenum (brand depends on turbo kit)
I-M-Racing Grounding Kit
Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley's
NGK Iridium 1-Step Colder Spark Plugs
Samco cooling hose kit
Stillen exhaust and Unlimited Tuning (if the turbo kit will fit up to them)

I've got plenty of time, i'm hoping to get a turbo kit this winter '05 or spring '06, i'm installing rods and pistons at the same time. I'll probably have the Tomei cams before then and I know i'll have some other mods before then. Anyway, whatever help I can get is greatly appreciated as I am very confused.

I'm open to doing a custom turbo kit as well (single or twin).

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:pw: You sound like you already know what you want and you've done all the research. There's nothing I can tell you that will make a difference. Go get a job so you can pay for the gas! :lol:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It sounds like you have everything listed that you will need. To add to your list, I have a lower rear differential from a 5AT and I would also look into your rear half axles, with that kind of power, you will have no problems snapping them. Check out www.driveshaftshop.com. Also, you might want to think about Jet-Hot coating the exhaust manifold, turbos and downpipes.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I didn't even think about the driveshaft. Anyone have any turbo and ecu management suggestions? I like the APS TT, but there are plenty of other options.

So add this to the list:
Driveshaft Shop Level 5 Driveshaft (good for 800hp).

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Jan 4 2005, 04:22 PM
:pw:  You sound like you already know what you want and you've done all the research.  There's nothing I can tell you that will make a difference.  Go get a job so you can pay for the gas! :lol:

:biggrin:

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've talked to some people. Custom twin turbo setup would be near the same price as the APS, might as well not consider it now.

So, still confused on ECU management and twin turbo kit.

Options are:
GReddy
Power Enterprise
APS
SSR/SFR
JWT
Unlimited Racing

And I believe that's it. BTW, what about the TurboXS tuner? Why isn't anyone using it?

ECU Management:
MoTeC M600
HKS F-Con V-Pro
TurboXS
GReddy E-Manage
Unichip
Other?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Well right now only three of those kits are available for the 350z. SSR and JWT have yet to still be released but they will be soon I am guessing. As for engine management, there are also a few other options that will be available besides the makers of those turbo kits. There is the HKS F-con (available now) and of course soon to be released, AEM. I am not sure about any others as I don't remember hearing about them yet.

Personally, even though you could consider my opinion biased because I have one, I would go with the APS turbo kit. It is the most complete kit on the market and requires nothing extra and it is all plug and play. If you need any help locating one, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by nissan350ztt@Jan 5 2005, 06:14 AM
Ok, I am confused as to what to do (i'm just planning right now though). I've talked to Peter through pm's and he told me that my goal was easily reachable with the APS TT kit and APS tallboy plenum (along with some internal mods that I told him I planned about). So, right now I am open to any turbo kit as long as it will reach my goals.

Just read your post and I understand your goals, what is it that your confused about, something in particular pertaining to the APS TT product?

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by aps+Jan 5 2005, 07:31 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-nissan350ztt
@Jan 5 2005, 06:14 AM
Ok, I am confused as to what to do (i'm just planning right now though). I've talked to Peter through pm's and he told me that my goal was easily reachable with the APS TT kit and APS tallboy plenum (along with some internal mods that I told him I planned about). So, right now I am open to any turbo kit as long as it will reach my goals.

Just read your post and I understand your goals, what is it that your confused about, something in particular pertaining to the APS TT product?

Thanks

Peter

Are the injectors mounted in the APS Tallboy plenum and Unichip tuning going to be streetable? And I guess are you confident that they can reach my goals easily?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by nissan350ztt+Jan 6 2005, 09:42 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2005, 07:31 PM
@Jan 5 2005, 06:14 AM

Thanks

Peter

Are the injectors mounted in the APS Tallboy plenum and Unichip tuning going to be streetable? And I guess are you confident that they can reach my goals easily?

Yes the 6 aux injectors will be mounted in the APS tall boy plenum and this approach is far more streetable than the 6 huge injector approach.

I have used this fuel system approach on many different types of engines over years and the car will drive as well as a stock car...............there's no better way at any cost I know of to produce a huge fuel supply system that has impeccable road manners in part throtle conditions :thumbsup:

Peter

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And does the APS TT kit work on the '05 350Z?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by nissan350ztt@Jan 6 2005, 10:13 AM

Don't know of any reason why the APS TT system would not suit the 05 model, do you know of some significant technical changes.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by aps+Jan 5 2005, 08:28 PM-->
@Jan 6 2005, 10:13 AM

Don't know of any reason why the APS TT system would not suit the 05 model, do you know of some significant technical changes.

Thanks

Peter

I don't believe there are any, other than the ECU changes, would that be able to be worked out at Z1 Motorsports?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by nissan350ztt+Jan 6 2005, 10:32 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2005, 08:28 PM

Thanks

Peter

I don't believe there are any, other than the ECU changes, would that be able to be worked out at Z1 Motorsports?

What ECU changes?

Do you mean a physical ECU replacement (new style of ECU) or do you believe there's been programming changes made to the previous ECU?

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by aps+Jan 5 2005, 08:56 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2005, 10:32 AM

Thanks

Peter

What ECU changes?

Do you mean a physical ECU replacement (new style of ECU) or do you believe there's been programming changes made to the previous ECU?

Thanks

Peter

Changes to the previous ECU. Technosquare is still working on the 04 ECU's... Z1 Motorsports will be able to change my rev limiter and top speed limiter with the APS TT Kit Unichip right?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by nissan350ztt+Jan 6 2005, 11:00 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2005, 08:56 PM

Thanks

Peter

What ECU changes?

Thanks

Peter

Changes to the previous ECU. Technosquare is still working on the 04 ECU's... Z1 Motorsports will be able to change my rev limiter and top speed limiter with the APS TT Kit Unichip right?

I was not aware of the speed limiter on the US spec Z, when was this introduced and at what speed is it activated?

Peter

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by Zxrage@Jan 5 2005, 05:00 PM
Well right now only three of those kits are available for the 350z.  SSR and JWT have yet to still be released but they will be soon I am guessing.

actually the ssr/sfr kit is out. the jwt kit is not out yet.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by aps+Jan 5 2005, 09:28 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2005, 08:56 PM

Thanks

Peter

What ECU changes?

Thanks

Peter

I was not aware of the speed limiter on the US spec Z, when was this introduced and at what speed is it activated?

Peter

The speed limiter has been on it since '03. Stops you at 160mph. I believe some people call it the rev limiter, I consider rpm limiter and speed limiter two different things.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by damen+Jan 5 2005, 09:36 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Zxrage
@Jan 5 2005, 05:00 PM
Well right now only three of those kits are available for the 350z.  SSR and JWT have yet to still be released but they will be soon I am guessing.

actually the ssr/sfr kit is out. the jwt kit is not out yet.

Nice to see you over here. :welcome:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts