Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, some people might be wondering what this new engine for the 07 350z is about. Reading up on sites, I found it not to be a completely new engine, rather heavily revised from the last version, as it is over 85% new. This is the same engine that was announced for the new G35 sedan, and at the time was only said to put out 310 hp (again not a big bump in HP, but rpms have increased by about 1k).
NISSAN announced the following specifications:
  • New design cylinder block. The rudder frame was added, rigidity was raised substantially.
  • Left and right complete symmetrical inhalation and exhalation air system
  • Decreasing the friction worldwide first hydrogen free DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) with coating.
  • Setting electromagnetism VTC on exhaust cam side in addition to the oil pressure VTC of air inlet cam side.
  • Isometric exhaust manifold
Only the '07 G35 and '07 350z will have the new VQ35HR motor.
This new engine has increased response and rpms, this allows it to max out at the 7500 rpm redline ("HR" most likely meaning High Rev or Higher Rev) vs 6600 rpm (on 2006 and older 350z) and have improved top end power.
More information can be found here, scroll to the bottom:NissanNews

How does this apply to the GT-R? Well, the engine might just be the reworked and renamed VQ that everyone is talking about. All it is missing would be FI (forced induction). In that case then, it would be named something like VQ35HRTT, but of course we expect a 3.6-3.8 bump, so it can be FZ38HRTT, all speculation really.

·
Registered
370 Posts
How does this apply to the GT-R? Well, the engine might just be the reworked and renamed VQ that everyone is talking about. All it is missing would be FI (forced induction). In that case then, it would be named something like VQ35HRTT, but of course we expect a 3.6-3.8 bump, so it can be FZ38HRTT, all speculation really.
as i pointed out in a previous post, GT-R production is less than 10 months behind VQ35HR production(!)
i'm not sure we'll see an increase in displacement for the GT-R and i definitely don't think its necessary.

a drop in compression, combined with direct injection and the ability to spin higher (8k rpms), with improved cooling and lubrication would be more than enough to do that job imo...

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
Not a significant increase in HP. But when you consider it over the past two years, it has gone up by 23HP...if it continued at that rate, it is pretty significant.

Is there a loss in torque again?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not a significant increase in HP. But when you consider it over the past two years, it has gone up by 23HP...if it continued at that rate, it is pretty significant.

Is there a loss in torque again?
no torque loss is expected.

i'd say there is a significant increase in power.

the nonrevup engine really produces 275hp / 268lbft
the revup engine really produces 293hp/258lbft

if this new engine produces 306hp i'd call that significant

you'd be getting more torque than the nonrevup engine and you'd have a wider flatter torque curve. power would increase more linearly and where old one stopped at 6500rpms, this one would continue for another thousand rpms.

so the increase from the 03Z is more like 31hp, with a wider powerband. the improved airflow and variable timing systems should keep the engine responsive to modificiations as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The major point of note is that it is the same engine, with a stronger block, higher redline, and new technologies added. Drop the compression, add turbos, and there is your GTR motor.
Don't forget Cosworth's patented casting process! :irock:

·
Registered
35 Posts
well, according to rumors which may have stemmed from them working on VQ aftermarket products.
The rumors of Cosworth's involvement with the GT-R's powerplant actually surfaced first(we're talking since 2003-2004, here). The aftermarket VQ parts are a very recent development in comparison.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I believe the rumors of Cosworth being involved have gone back and forth for quite some time now. However with the aftermarker VQ parts coming out I think that gives the rumors a little bit more credit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts