Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up all, I just want to know which Cold Air Intake I should install on my Z... I see all the deals and stuff online but i would like your guy's opinion on which one i should get.

I am looking at:

NISMO CAI, AEM, and Injen.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Old topic. JWT popcharger seems to be by far the most popular although not technically a true CAI. It is more like a short ram intake. Very nice, cost effective.

Otherwise Injen or Nismo.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Injen CAI are discontinued from what i know.....i have it. but if it was my choice now, i wouldnt get it. performs good and sounds good, but its discontinued

·
Registered
853 Posts
I believe they all are close performance wise but I had the NISMO and would buy it again just for the sound. It was awsome.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Originally posted by ayman350z@Aug 16 2005, 05:43 AM
Injen CAI are discontinued from what i know.....i have it. but if it was my choice now, i wouldnt get it. performs good and sounds good, but its discontinued
[snapback]146021[/snapback]​

Injen has a new one now with integrated MAF tube (your old MAF in a whole new tube). It's cleaner looking anyway.

New= TB, link hose, long tube with MAF installed, elbow hose, filter tube, filter.
Old = TB, link hose, long tube, link hose, plastic stock MAF tube, tube to adapt MAF tube to elbow hose, elbow hose, filter tube, filter.

Chris

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
This answer to this question is there is no right answer. This is the most asked question on these boards. You just basically pick one thats you think looks the best and is in your budget

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OOPS...sorry guys, i'm new here to this site. Didnt see the hundreds of posts that are out there. Thanks for the info guys!

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Originally posted by Dave079@Aug 16 2005, 11:06 PM
This answer to this question is there is no right answer.
[snapback]146337[/snapback]​

That pretty much sums it up. Pick the one you like best and you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think CAI are a waste of time. They make it sound better but, that's it. I'm not sure about all CAI but, i just tested a CP Products, cheap E-bay crap. Well, i say cheap, cost about the same as Pop charger.
The intake is too long and has more bends causing too much friction with the air intake.
I lost 8 HP and 7Tq from this system.
I'm betting you will lose power with all of them.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Originally posted by DayblueZ@Aug 22 2005, 07:39 AM
[snapback]147945[/snapback]​

Interesting,
While no one should expect huge gains from a CAI or Short Ram, as far as I have seen, none of the name brand units has lost power.

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by HyperSprite+Aug 22 2005, 10:02 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-DayblueZ
@Aug 22 2005, 07:39 AM
[snapback]147945[/snapback]​

Interesting,
While no one should expect huge gains from a CAI or Short Ram, as far as I have seen, none of the name brand units has lost power.

Chris
[snapback]147956[/snapback]​

I'm not talking about the Ram intakes, i believe they may make power. I am only talking about the CAI. Think about it. You are lengthing the pathway by about 2 feet. And you are adding 2-3 bends which slows down the flow. Every bend creats friction to a degree.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Yes, but my moving the intake farther away from the engine you're also moving it farther away from the engine heat

·
Registered
15 Posts
How much do you think the air will heat up between the front of the grill and the time it enters the air box? and at 50mph and above (when ram air is supposed to take effect) how much can it heat up over the space of 1 1/2 feet? Probably no more than 1 degree. I don't think that will help. The air by the time it reaches the intake box, while moving 20mph or more, can't be too much warmer than ambient temps.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Right, the air moving through the intake won't be much warmer when it reaches the engine than when it entered the intake. Hence, grabbing the air outside the car where it's cooler is better

·
Registered
15 Posts
What i meant was, if the stock intake is used, the air can't heat up more than 1 degree from the time it enters the grill till the time it enters the box.

Most CAI don't really grab direct air from outside the vehicle.
Unfortunately, allot of CAI take the filter into the wheel well compartment where the air isn't even rushing. It's cooler than motor compartment air but, it's still going to be restrictive.
Something like the K&N Typhoon would be better than a true CAI.
I dyno'd the CAI i had and it was awful. If it adds length to the airflow or bends, it's going to slow the flow down. If it's in the wheel well area, it has to forcibly suck air with no help from rushing air.
I still feel a JWT Pop charger is the best bet or the K&N Typhoon. The Typhoon my have the edge from the scoop in the grill. But, it may hinder in the end and may suck water in a bad rain at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I have the JWT and think it's the best one out there. I know a guy who has the Injen and also had the full Inken exhaust, plenum and hi-flow cats. I dynoed better than him. Not saying my intake was better, but maybe the combination was better than his. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts