Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 with a manual transmission. I can drop the clutch and spin the tires no problem but if I am driving 50mph and step on the gas to pass someone the clutch slips badly. Not downshifting to pass, just driving like the old man I am. And I mean it slips and stinks up the car, I am sure if I didn't let off I could fry it completely.

Is there some hydraulic adjustment or something else that is out of spec? I don't see how a clutch that grabs and lights up the tires at a standstill would not be able to at speed??

I would really appreciate any help.

D

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
Clutch wear depends on several factors. If the driven disc is worn more in the middle, but still has some usable wear on the outside, you might find it locksup well in first gear. Or perhaps the flywheel is badly worn in a specific pattern that allows it to slip in a higher gear. The only way to know for sure is to pull it down and inspect the components. But at that point, you may as well replace those worn components after the inspection.

How many miles has it been since the clutch on this Z was last replaced?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just bought it a month ago, guy told me it was replaced 24k ago. Seems hard to believe. Any recommendations on a new clutch? It's totally stock, a daily driver more or less with an occasional track day. Things to replace while I have it all apart?

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
It's hard to make any recommendations until you inspect the parts that are in there. Certainly, if it's all damaged and in poor shape, besides the clutch disc, go with a new pressure plate, throwout bearing and possibly flywheel if it's badly scored. As for brands, I'd check on the price of a Nissan Key Value kit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts