Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aaaalright... So I bought my first Z about 2 weeks ago. 2008 roadster enthusiast touring. 44000 miles. It's in great shape for the most part. Seems to be well maintained. I just decided to go out and do some light hooning. Traction control off. I tried to rip from a stop and break loose at the top of a hill making a turn. It didn't engage 1st completely. I thought it did at first. But no. I redlined the thing with barely any pull. Let off the gas. Then it engaged. Get home a few minutes later and it reaks of clutch. (I think. Ha.) I noticed when I first got it that it did the same thing when I tried to bang gears.(not fully engaging when I would shift.) I was just thinking it was some kind of driver assist function. Or because I'm a bit of a noob with the manual trans. But after driving it more I think there is a problem. Driving normally it is totally normal. No issues. Anybody ever have the same problem? Thank you!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
This sounds like the clutch is beginning to fail. You might not notice much slippage when driving under 5K, but once you engage the clutch aggressively at WOT, the friction surface shows its wear. It's a good idea to get it checked and repaired by a qualified ASE/Nissan tech. If you continue to run the clutch as is, there's a good chance you'll damage the surface of the dual weight flywheel, which can't be resurfaced. May as well replace the slave cylinder, throwout bearing and clutch disc to freshen the ZR tranny for another 50K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oof.. not the answer I wanted to hear. Payed a little more than I would have liked because its **** near perfect. If this is the case I will most likely do it myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oof.. not the answer I wanted to hear. Payed a little more than I would have liked because its **** near perfect. If this is the case I will most likely do it myself.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Have you ever worked on a concentric slave cylinder? It's quite a bit different than an external slave and you'll need to drop the tranny. Not an easy job unless you've got a lot of experience and the tools to match.

Also, if you'd have paid an experienced tech to do a full mechanical assessment before purchasing this ZR, it's a good bet they could have saved you money. Clutch wear would have been checked and you could've negotiated a better deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts