Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 350Z with 27,000 miles. The clutch has gone out. I do not ride my car hard. In fact, I am still on my original tires. Has anyone else had problems with their clutch going out before it should? Nissan claims this is a wear and tear item after 12,000 miles. The dealership told me to call 800-NISSAN1 and they would send an engineer to check out my car to see if there are any other signs of me driving it hard, and if not, they could determine it is a faulty clutch. After over a week of them not calling me, they finally did and told me they won't send an engineer unless an accident happened where Nissan could be held liable. Does anybody have any suggestions or similar stories?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My guess is operator error?

Clutches don't die without good reason. You can drive like grandma and easily burn up a clutch. By the same token you can drive the living piss out of your car and not toast the clutch. It all comes down to the operator. Just doing a few things wrong can significantly speed up the untimely death of a clutch. I don't see how this would be nissans expense???

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Clutches are not normally covered under warranty as they are considered a wear/tear item.

I removed my clutch at 30K with 10K of that being with the TT kit on, as well as 1 AutoX and 5 Days at Sebring and even then the clutch still looked good.

It is not only about dropping the clutch and burning rubber but also how you release the clutch and whether you ride it that will wear it out

·
Registered
190 Posts
True, I have over 160K on my 86.5 hardbody 4x4 and its on the original clutch. My 350Z has over 48K and no problems (knock on wood). I ran 120K on my 300ZX without replacing the clutch.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah my dealership said they wouldn't replace mine and I'm at 24k and still under warranty. Pisses me off but I guess thats the price to play the game. I've only driven my car for 6k miles but I guess the previous owner must've been hard on the clutch.

·
Registered
368 Posts
^^This is why I didn't buy used lol! So what are some "don'ts" with the clutch. I had 14k on my 05 focus and it seemed to be in 'perfect' working order but I'm not sure since it was my first manual. Like with my Z (2k miles-owned 3 1/2 wks!)I can't granny shift it, too much clutch or not enough, driving more towards the spirited side I can say shifts are so smooth that a few of my friends have been "wow'ed" by the ride.

The 'heel-toe' method is better than normal downshift and go correct? And what is the first sign of clutch problems, the pedal itself or maybe in the stick? Sorry if the questions are completly DUH! but I find with as much money as I'm spending on this beauty, knowledge is power! Plus I'm 20 and have had only 16k manual transmission miles under my belt.

I hope you don't end up spending ALOT of pocket money ACE, since it seems like they aren't willing to co-operate with you at all costs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts