Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Associated Press
VALPARAISO, Ind. - A teenager charged with driving 142 mph along a four-lane divided highway said he was speeding home so his parents wouldn't be mad at him for being late, police said.

Brandon D. Raap, 16, faces speeding and misdemeanor reckless driving charges and could have his license suspended, police said.

Porter County sheriff's deputies stopped Raap along a rural stretch of U.S. 30 at 12:40 a.m. Saturday after a radar gun clocked his 2004 Subaru Impreza going almost 90 mph faster than the posted 55 mph limit, police said.

It might be the fastest speed ever recorded on the northwestern Indiana county's roads, said Porter County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Tim Emmons.

"Most people's cars won't go that fast," he said.

Raap told police he was late getting home and didn't want his parents to be angry, Deputy John Brubaker said in his report. Raap told Brubaker he didn't have a curfew but is usually home by midnight.

Brubaker didn't arrest Raap, who had a valid Colorado license, but told him to drive straight home and call him within an hour. Raap's mother, Cindy Raap, called instead and Brubaker told her what happened.

The Associated Press left a message with Raap's parents at their home in Valparaiso seeking comment. They declined to comment when contacted by the Post-Tribune of Merrillville.

"Kids sort of have tunnel vision," Emmons said. "They're so concerned with not getting yelled at or grounded, they place other people's lives in jeopardy."

The highway has two lanes in each direction, divided by a median, and traffic is usually light that time of night, Emmons said.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/16222316.htm

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
What a moron, but "Kids sort of have tunnel vision," Emmons said. "They're so concerned with not getting yelled at or grounded, they place other people's lives in jeopardy." is not the actual reason he was speeding, that was obviously just his BS excuse. He was speeding because he has a WRX and feels like a badass

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
+1

If you HAVE to do it, do it during graveyard shift on a freeway at least on a freaking passing/carpool lane.
..or at the track? :dunno:

but...142?...cmon, that's kinna weak :rolf2: :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
756 Posts
"Most people's cars won't go that fast"??

iv gotten a few tegs near that.. when they were stock...

(yes it was on a track tho)

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Holy crap.. kinda hard to believe he ended up getting away with that one tho. Hey, good for him. Sometimes, getting away scott-free is the best punishment of all.. because you KNOW that won't ever happen twice in the same lifetime!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
They should cite the cop for not arresting the kid...like any of us would've been given the same treatment. The kid's license should've been taken away for at least a year at a minimum. We don't need morons like this on the road who can't apply simple reasoning if that really was his intent.

·
Super Moderator
4,328 Posts
They should cite the cop for not arresting the kid...
Why? Indiana doesn't have felony speeding except in cases of trying to run from the cops or while in a school or construction zone. The cop wrote it up as the law dictated, reckless driving. Which, I believe, is a Class B or C misdemeanor.

Surprisingly enough the infamous "felony speeding" is a an urban legend in most jurisdictions. It usually requires some special circumstance (such as injury to life or property or while racing) to have speeding (or reckless driving) become a felony. Regardless of the speed involved.

I'm sure the kid will lose his license when this goes to trial.

Regards,
Ronin Z

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure the judge will give him a tough punishment. I got a ticket in Indiana for 85 in a 55 when I was 16 and had 16 of defensive driving classes and 6 months probation on the DL.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I guess I misread the story and I certainly don't know the laws in that state. Yes, anything triple digits in California will likely get you a set of handcuffs, a free ride in the back of the squad car, and the towing of your car to the local yard. Now I believe that is the strict enforcement of the law and some cops are sometimes slightly lenient if you don't BS them. It is certainly wreckless driving and you get two points. I just fault the kid's reasoning prowess. When you venture up at those speeds, it should be a conscious thought of the consequences. There is little room for error or any car problems. For example, are his stock tires even rated to go that high? I wouldn't feel comfortable without at least a ZR rated tire just for some safety margin. He was either a great actor or just 'none-too-smart'.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Holy crap.. kinda hard to believe he ended up getting away with that one tho. Hey, good for him. Sometimes, getting away scott-free is the best punishment of all.. because you KNOW that won't ever happen twice in the same lifetime!
I know right, seriously where I live, this guy was racing at 125 on a similar 4 lane street, and he got arrested, and had to pay mad court fees, tons of community hours, and tons of traffic school hours, and on top of that, he came to traffic school with a suspended license, him driving, I couldn't believe it. But of course, he crashed at at 125 and had a suspended license, so it probably is less if you don't race, crash, and to top it all off--do it with a suspended license. But still, a 16 year old?, I would have expected at least some juve or something.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
What a moron, but "Kids sort of have tunnel vision," Emmons said. "They're so concerned with not getting yelled at or grounded, they place other people's lives in jeopardy." is not the actual reason he was speeding, that was obviously just his BS excuse. He was speeding because he has a WRX and feels like a badass
+1 that was his :bs: excuse. He's freaking 16 :rolf2: or however old...

..or at the track? :dunno:
but...142?...cmon, that's kinna weak :rolf2: :shiftdrive:
142 weak? **** man I've been up to 129 and was a little :nervous: for sure!

TRACK FTW!!!

Why? Indiana doesn't have felony speeding except in cases of trying to run from the cops or while in a school or construction zone. The cop wrote it up as the law dictated, reckless driving. Which, I believe, is a Class B or C misdemeanor.

Surprisingly enough the infamous "felony speeding" is a an urban legend in most jurisdictions. It usually requires some special circumstance (such as injury to life or property or while racing) to have speeding (or reckless driving) become a felony. Regardless of the speed involved.

I'm sure the kid will lose his license when this goes to trial.

Regards,
Ronin Z
I would think so. Here if you go over 100 you ARE going to jail. *edit* and get caught lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts