Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone use to clean your wheels? I've noticed it is very difficult to get my front wheels very clean and keep them that way. I spend a lot of time trying to get them spotless, but it is impossible. The dust seems to cake up in all of those tiny imprints on the stock spokes. Also, any suggestions on how to keep brake dust off...that stuff coats my wheels after 2-3 days?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
First, welcome to the forum, Brian! You'll like it here in 'the village.'

Second, I have the stock 18" wheels and I use the leftover carwash soap and water in the bucket to do the wheels. I get a large sponge and scrub down the spokes, inside the wheel, and especially the rear of the spokes. If you haven't noticed, they are indented on the back side, so a lot of dust and dirt tends to rest inside them. I simply rub a little harder behind each spoke. I suppose that there is a special wheel cleaner and/or spray can be used to replace scrubbing. As for the dust, that's hard to avoid even after a day. I use a leaf blower to get all the water out of the wheels before driving. That seems to help prevent brake dust from showing faster on the wheels.

The owners manual actually recommends waxing the wheels to protect them from chemicals that you might pick up from driving. I haven't done that yet, but I plan on doing it before storing it away for the winter.

I hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
i use soap and water with a sponge to wipe them down, then i bust out the trusty detailers spraywax and give them a nice coat to make them shiney and gives the brakedust a layer to sit on rahter than direct contact with the rims. this also helps when it it time to clean them again.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That's a good idea! Detailer's spraywax...hmm.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Aug 27 2004, 12:00 PM
I use Meguiar's Hot Rims

Ditto. That stuff works wonders especially on the inside of the rim that is harder to get. Just spray it on the inside and let it sit for 30 seconds and spray off. On the out rim just spray and wipe. Works very well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
OK people. Here's my patented technique to clean my wheels.

First, let me say that I have the stock 18 inch wheels on my Z.

1) Put your car on emergency brake.

2) Using a hydraulic jack, lift your car up the front until one of the tires can be rotated freely.

3) Wash the front of the wheel with your sponge.

4) (Here comes the trick) Take your sponge and place it inside the wheel and rotate the tire. The sponge will get cought up on the brake caliper. Keep rotating the tire and the sponge will take care of the situation. (This step works great if the wheels are not as dirty as a baby's diaper).

5) Repeat same procedure on all wheels (put supports on the front tires and disable the emergency brake when doing the rear wheels).

6) If you are not satisfied (which I doubt), use Meguiar's Hot Wheels Spray.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I tried Hot Rims, and it seems to be the real deal. It won't get the wheels car show spotless inside and out, but unless you crawl under my car, the wheels look just great. Takes 5 minutes with the hose and the product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts